1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholics cannot accept gay marriage, pope says

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 26, 2011.

1. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here we go again. The pope is turning into that crazy grandfather who wants kids to get off his lawn or go to hell.

2. Fintan

I agree with your point but would suggest that traditional/progressive protestants are actually more supportive than Roman Catholics; such as Anglicans, Episcopalians, Lutherans, United Church of Christ and the Metropolitian Community Church.

3. Emberstone

again, this is a matter of the vast gulf that exists between catholic congregants, and the papacy. the distinction being that catholic congregants are not bad people, but the papacy itself is perpetually corrupt and evil.

Let the pope pretend he is relevant... it just gives the world one more reason to laugh about how such a anti-gay institution wears the 'faggiest clothing'. all that hand emboridered fillagree, and gaudy jewelery... ummmm, girlfriend, you be gaying it up more than liberache!

4. Fintan

I think you forgot a Hitler and or Nazi reference... its the only thing that could make the comment more ignorant than it already is.

5. Emberstone

well, the nazi's statements about the jewish population is rooted deeply, and in some ways, just striaght accross copying of the anti-semtisem that is well documented from the papacy.

that the papacy is perpetually corrupt is documented fact. it comes with the terroritory of a religious structure of a ultimate earthly ruler professing some great communion with god that can only be partially found by followers in following the teachings of said leader... those structures always corrupt themselves.

even this papacy continues the history of corruption. they are going out and telling people if they use condems, they will get aids, because condom useage makes transimission of aids more likely... so basically, that is corrupt and evil because it is telling people to actually do the thing that will make transmission of aids not simply likely, but inevitable and unavoidable, by telling them not to do something that has a high rate of stopping transmission of a deadly disease.

then there is the frequent interferences in politics for the purpose of keeping hated groups downtrodden, and second class citizens... IE, evil and corrupt.

none of this is well hidden... it is out in the open.

To ignore reality is where 'ignorance' is found, so I am not the one who is ignorant. A right does not make a wrong magically disappear, and it is the catholics, not the papacy, who are the ones actually going out into the world to be a force of goodness, charity, and compassion, which is missing from the papacy itself, which cares more about its power, than using it altruisticly.

Agian... there is a massive, vast gulf between the morality of catholic faithful, and the corruption of the papacy.

6. MsShelf

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    More recently than saying that condoms did not prevent spread of AIDS, the pope supported the use of condoms to help prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS in cases where contraception was not the intent.

Not defending/supporting the pope in all of his sex-related decisions, as I vehemently disagree with him more often than not, but bringing up an issue that he has since taken a different stance on seems unfair.

7. Mogget

Considering that the example he gave was a gay male prostitute who already has HIV, it's pretty clear he doesn't think it's acceptable to use condoms if reproduction without them would be even possible.

8. British Lad

British Lad Guest

This is why I don't follow organised religion. The Stupid old fool.

9. LikeMyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It seems that the Catholic church is just hung up on sexuality in all forms - according to my catholic friend the RCC states that Joseph and Mary *never* had sex, even after Jesus was born.
    Now, how in the world could you be married to someone, live in the same itti bitti carpenter's shack with them, and *never* get in the sack? Now that, I don't get.

10. Porphyrogenitus

Please. If you're going to throw out one-liners, at least get the doctrine right first. Official Catholic dogma doesn't refer to society, or helping children at all. Rather, the view is that sexual intercourse is a sacred act that is intended for the creation of life. Any intercourse other than for the potential creation of life is therefore unholy. Therefore, gay sex, sex with contraception and masturbation are all banned for the exact same reason (see Monty Python's The Meaning of Life for this :wink: ). Note that the Church has no problem with homosexuals as long as we don't have sex.

Marriage, of course, is basically just a holy sacrament which allows a couple to have sex. It puts the intercourse within the sight of God. So, you're not allowed to have sex outside marriage, and gay sex is spilling the seed in an unholy manner.... therefore no gay marriage.

11. Ben

Ben

Benedict is quite keen on his infallibility and maintaining a rigid hierarchy in the Church, though. He wasn't the biggest fan of the Second Vatican Council.
    So I think you were pretty much right first off that the vogue at the top of the Church has an air of Papal infallibility. Which is a shame, really, but a progressive leadership in the future might revise that and continue on the council's spirit.

But back away from the hierarchy, and I think people are right that the Catholic laity tend not to be as stringent on LGBT issues as the current Papacy is. I don't think the average Catholic really takes a lot of time to traipse through the mountains of doctrine in their day to day life.

Also, with the risk of sounding a bit macabre, Benedict is old. The papacy will probably change within a few years. Whether the pope is more liberal or more conservative, the underlying tones and face of Catholicism will probably change. The Church might revert back to the short-lived progressiveness of John Paul I, or (which my gut is saying) continue on the conservative trend for a bit longer. Catholicism has changed so much in the past 50 years, and will continue to do so in our lives.

12. Emberstone

actually, marriage is a pre-existing institution that religious organization created what ammounts historically to nothing more than 'after-market sacraments'. it doesnt qualify as a creation of the church since the church had nothing to do with the creation of the institution.

if the church docterine and dogma has nothing to do with 'society', then it is encumbent upon the church to stop claiming that gay marriage, gay people, etc, will harm children and destroy society... which they do alot when they are rallying against the rights of others.

13. J Snow

Why is it that every philosophical statement relating to God has to involve a flying spaghetti monster?

Anyway, went to 13 years of Catholic school. My mom is super Catholic and 100% believes being gay is wrong and I'm going to hell, etc. It just makes me mad that people are idiots and pretty much disregard the Crusades and justifications of slavery that the church was involved in. Yup, the Church has never been wrong about anything...

14. Emberstone

sometimes wisdom can come in the most illogical place... for example, you do not expect to see wise statements in yahoo news article comment sections, which tend to be troll central (i once saw a troll turn an article about a fireman saving a litter of kittens from a burning home into a statement about how 'obumma is molstering your children in their sleep with his tarpenis' racist rant):

"It's easier to change your beliefs to justify your faults than it is to fix your faults to justify your beliefs." - Yahoo news poster.

the job of the papacy has been to ignore the teachings of christ for two thousand years whenever it does not conform to their contradictory ideaology.

15. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well.. trust me.. I live in a country with a lutheran state church.. and they are NOT as liberal as they might seem. We have gay marriage here, but the state church still refuses priests to officiate (sp?) gay weddings. They don't even have a liturgy in place. They decided at the last church meeting that they would NOT start working on a new liturgy so gay couples could get married in the church, because guess what.. most priests were against it.

I'm also from western Norway, aka fjord Norway aka the bible belt, so the state church here is VERY conservative.. sure, it's more liberal than most other sects, but still.. priests can not officiate gay couples yet, but they can do "blessings" for gay couples in churches, but guess what.. our laws are discriminatory and full of holes, so it gave the homophobic priests the "right" not to do blessings.. guess how many priests do the blessings in my city? ONE.. one priest, out of hundreds, probably thousands of priests in this city. It's Norway's second largest city, but only ONE priest is willing to do a blessing.. LMAO.

The protestant churches are not all liberal, it depends where in Norway you are.. eastern/middle and northern Norway? sure. western/southern Norway? hell no! not much separating the state church from the rest of the Christian sects here in this part of the country.. ok, maybe it is slightly more liberal and gay frendly, but only slightly. The state church in eastern Norway has liberal priests, even some gay priests, many support gay marriage. Most priests in the state church in western Norway are very conservative, with a belief on the value of family (and we all know what this means).

So.. I think it varies a great deal where in the world you are. But overall I wouldn't say the lutheran protestant church is much more liberal than the catholic church, not at all.

16. Emberstone

well, the distinction to be made there is that you are talking about a 'state church', which has a different tendancy to a normal church.

corruptions in religion comes in many forms, but one is when the church has authority over or within goverment.

as for lutheren churches in the united states, it depends both on the church body they are apart of (ELCA, NALC, etc...), and each congregation itself as to what their views on LGBT clergy, and gay marriage are.

17. Cook

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a catholic and I love the pope, I usually support him, but everytime he does something like this... Dude, wtf?? Where's all the "love thy neighbor" stuff?? And respect and tolerance?? Those are things my catholic family tought me and it's well applied. Sometimes I think my grandma would be a way better pope than this one.

18. x2x2x2x2y2

This.^

19. Fintan

^ This.

QFT

20. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

"Catholics cannot accept gay marriage,pope says"

The Pope needs to stop being a hypocrite and support equal rights for all people not just certain ones, Vampirekid says

I've also recently decided that I no longer want to be part of the Catholic religion I was part of, not only because of all the scandals it has gone through, but also because I dont agree with some of the things they teach because they tend contradict themselves