1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i the only person on this site that hates lady gaga's music?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by needshelp, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Raeil

Disclaimer: I am a HUGE fan of Gaga, both her activism and her music and her performances. However, I'm going to do my absolute best to keep this about your thread title question, and will wait until the very end to show you why I love Gaga in particular. Also, this turned out to be a lot longer than I expected it to be... sorry, I don't intend to start a war or anything, just wanted to answer your question, and share why I think Gaga is worth liking. Sorry if it's too much. :frowning2:

You're certainly not the only person to dislike Gaga in the LGBT community but you're likely in the minority due to a few reasons. The first is why the LGBT community in particular tends to have an overall love for Lady Gaga, the second and third are comments on her performances and musical talent which draw in people both in and out of the LGBT community who would listen to her anyway.

1) [LGBT Reason] Gaga has been MAJORLY influential in giving publicity, support, and love to the LGBT community. I've heard the arguments that she is using the community, but if her way of "using" us is to continually support us in the media, continually bring attention to our struggles as a community, and from all that get a large majority of us to buy her music, then I (and arguably most of the community) am ok with that. Personally, I don't think she is, but that's just an opinion.

2) [Performance Reason] Gaga is an extremely eccentric... no, interesting... no, unique (that's the word I was looking for) performer. Seriously, if you've never seen anything of her live, it's rather intense (posting a link to what I think showcases her talent best). Also, her uniqueness is beginning to be copied by several other artists artists in an attempt to achieve the same level of success she has in the short time she's been on the scene.

3) [Music Reason] Finally, Gaga is a rarity, in that she is a classically trained pop artist. In other words, she knows how music works in general, and can perform amazingly well acoustically as well as electronically. I don't mean to be rude, but the fact that you can't get through her a capella is proof that you don't enjoy her sound, not that she can't sing. Take it from a classically trained singer, Gaga is one of the most talented singers in Pop at the moment. The fact that you can listen to her live and get an almost identical sound to the recording (but certainly off enough to prove it's actually being sung, and not lip-synced) proves this.

So, that's why you'll likely be in the minority (for now, times could certainly change) if you dislike Gaga in the LGBT community. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I think it's good that not everyone agrees that Gaga is great. After all, if there were no non-Gaga people, there would be no room for the music industry to evolve, which would be an absolutely horrible state of things. However, that won't stop me from loving her and trying to get other people to love her too! :grin:

Link--------------- (ignore if you really don't want to attempt to like Gaga)
    Ok, so, here's some standout things I pulled from this performance: 1) No lip-syncing... ever. During all the choreography Gaga continues to sing, which is probably the most impressive thing about live Gaga. 2) This entire performance is draped in artistry. Everything has been thought through thoroughly, even if the meaning of it all isn't immediately clear. 3) I count a single bad note, and it's during her "dying" scene, so that fits in rather well. So, one bad note for an entire 4 minute performance. 4) Gaga plays piano, and plays it rather well (when she plays without her foot on the lowest octave). This drew me in before I started listening to her electronic stuff.

So here it is, from the 2009 MTV VMA's, Paparazzi.

#21 Raeil, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. TheRoof

I wouldn't say she's unique, if at all. She has this tendency to copy bits and pieces from Madonna, Michael Jackson, Elton John, you name it. Where did the machine gun bra come from? Madonna's cone bra during Blond Ambition in the 90s. And I know this is old argument but again, Born this way sounds awful like Express yourself and TLC's Waterfall. And what about bringing in Catholic Church and religious imageries to the videos. What's up with Judas video? Looks like a cheap copy of Like A Prayer to me. I'm not saying this to diss gaga, but to say that what gaga does is unique is kind of absurd in my opinion.

3. DarkClarity

She has a couple of alright songs but, I'm not much of a Gaga fan. If I'm going to be honest, I really don't get what the big deal is when it comes to Gaga.

4. VampConspiracy

You are not the only person here who doesn't like Lady Gaga. Odd, huh. Because I thought the same damn thing.

Her vocals are terrible, annoying lyrics... the only decent thing about her music is the instrumentals, but that doesn't matter when you have to hear her along with them, does it.

I'm glad to have an MP3 player with me, especially when riding in my sister's car.

...otherwise, I'd be all like :help:

5. StarofMiyu

I like dubstep and j-pop....Lady Gaga sucks...straight people like her music even though all her music is about LGBT...hypocrites..

6. Fusileer

Fusileer Guest

I don't like her but I don't dislike her too.

Björk is way, way, way better.

7. maverick

I kind of like all the covers of Gaga songs better than the actual originals themselves.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_BmTGv43M&ob=av3n[/YOUTUBE]

8. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I enjoy Lady Gaga's music and performances, even though they are not as original as people actually think they are still pretty innovative XD though she can sometimes get pretty annoying when she's all over tv and the internet 24/7 but she done do alot of good things for Homosexuals and people in general. Even if some may not like her music you gotta admit it, she has talent.

9. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, to each their own. As long as people don't make stupid comments about her (or any other artist for that matter, regardless of if I like them) I don't care whether or not someone doesn't like her music.

Whether or not you like her music, it's clear she has talent and is a good person for what she has done with her fame. If you say otherwise, you're probably so close-minded that you can't differentiate between not liking the music and not liking the person or realizing their true potential.

I hate Justin Beiber's music. He's clearly talented and from what he has done outside of music and the little bits of acting here and there, he's a great person too. There's a good example.

I like some of Katy Perry's music. She's not that talented vocally speaking, however, and one of the biggest hypocrites in the music industry. Don't like her as a person at all. There's another example.

I feel like if I payed more attention to the news that I'd get sick hearing about her too. But I intentionally don't read entertainment news or listen to the radio to prevent that happening to her and other people I enjoy.

Her music isn't about LGBT people. Born This Way is, and the video for Alejandro is. Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. And even if straight people liked her music because it was gay friendly, that doesn't make them hypocrites. All straight people are not homophobic. A homophobe liking Born This Way because of its meaning would be hypocritical. You may think her music sucks, but she doesn't suck. Anyone who does a duet with Tony Bennett who then says they'll be as big as Elvis clearly has talent.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay let me take apart this a bit.

I'm a classically trained singer, have several years of training, and while I'm not saying I'm god of the singing world, (I'm really not lol, there are many who sing a heck of a lot better than me), I still know and can recognize when someone is a good singer, and THAT is a good singer. I really just am wondering if you need your hearing checked from listening to too much heavy metal or something. That a Capella was a very good one, her tone was spot on, and you could hear proper notes. So again, really curious why you think she can't sing, it really just boggles my mind.

All I can say is, this just proves what I was saying. I'm not singing non-singers can't recognize singing talent, but sometimes they do seem to think they do seem to think that they can be all "oh she sounds horrible but if she can do it, I'm sure I could get a record deal because clearly I must be at least like her". I'm sorry, but whether you can sing or not, you're not at the level Stefani is at, nowhere near it. I'm nowhere near it and I actually have training with voice. So yeah, don't kid yourself.

Err have you actually watched the Youtube videos where she is actually doing more than shock value? Have you watched the video that's nearly 10 minutes long where she tries to reach different congressmen to ask them to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell? Like I'm really just curious. And I think it's kind of ludicrous asking whether it's a shock value, she's admitted she's bisexual, though I'm sure you probably think that's another shock value tactic -_-, so in this case I'm not going to try and prove anything. You can think she's doing this just to shock us, but personally I think she's a unicorn in a herd of horses. Plain and simple.

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh wait a minute. Hypocrites? And us LGBT people like music that's about straight people, so we're all hypocrites too right?

12. sanguine

dw about lady gaga for those people who adore her, really she has done alot of good things for the LGBT people, but i feel like she has targeted her music to us because she makes money out of it

but then again how does one make money if they dont have a target audience right?

besides she has done alot of good things like how she brought to like the DADT policy the american government set up which has been demolished right? and also the fact that she does fight for the LGBT rights

but personally i dont really get the hype that is lady gaga either, her dress sense is ridiculous, and i cant help the fact that she also brings out the gay stereotype which has harmed how my parents review gay people!

13. Dasc Crescent

Personally, I refuse to listen to her music,
    purely because of what she says about God in her songs,
    Okay I appreciate what she did for the LGBT community, and her music can be pretty good
    BUT I will not support her, I am very christian(the REAL kind, loving, non-judging, and non-hating) and if she doesn't like God Its not my concern, but she takes it too far,
    I wouldn't mind if she was just an atheist, my boyfriend is one,

Besides that, her music can be good, her voice is good enough, but she does try to hard, trying to be the next Madonna, with her clothes and all.

but that's my opinion, I don't mind if others like her :3
    she does have a good enough voice.

14. retrohelix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, i certainly don't like her music, but at least she's unique. She supports the LGBT community and wears suits made of meat. She gets my seal of approval.

15. maverick

^ Completely agree with you. I like some of Perry's music, but I don't think she's that talented and after listening to some of her interviews, I'm convinced she's as dumb as a box of bricks.

And unlike Gaga, I think Perry and Ke$ha really are capitalizing on the gay rights movement, and in Perry's case, doing so after making such homophobic classics as "I Kissed A Girl" and "Ur So Gay".

16. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, particularly about 'I kissed a girl.' If you listen to the lyrics it actually sounds more like a song about how she's confused about her sexuality, not a song about hating gays. For example, the lyrics "It felt so wrong/It felt so right/Don't mean I'm in love tonight" ; "My head gets so confused/hard to obey".

17. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not the worst mainstream artist i've heard. I see lots of people hating her music and saying it all the time and I find it annoying.
    I don't like her music and I think she isn't talented at all though. The only real point she gets is that she spreads cool ideas through medias and doesn't seem stupid unlike most music stars.

18. djt820

She's another bland Pop artist that will fade away soon enough. She can't be shocking and provocative forever.

Though, I'll admit, she is one of the better out of the bland Pop artists (but is that saying much?).

19. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think South Park's version of "Poker Face" is way better than the original. Whenever I hear Lady Gaga's version I crack up thinking of Cartman singing this: Eric Cartman Singing Poker Face (Full Song) - YouTube

Even if she is "using" the GLBT community as a career move, at least she seems to be sincere and is bringing more attention to GLBT rights. As far as her music and stage persona goes, I don't personally care for it but then again I don't really like pop music to begin with. I agree with the statement in a cracked.com article about her not being as unique as the media likes to claim she is, but in reality she is just an amalgam of Marilyn Manson and Madonna. She's all about the shock value with her crazy costumes.

20. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Lady Gaga to be honest but I respect your opinion. Everyone has different taste in music. I went to a Gaga concert and was blown away by the performance. It was life-altering and I have so much respect for her.

But I remember a close friend took me to a Crystal Castles concert and I thought it was the worst thing in the history of Earth while she thought it was the best thing ever. So musical taste varies greatly.