1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September 11th - where were you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by concklin, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Keelin

I was a screaming three-year-old running around the house. My mom was folding the laundry in terror...

2. Haberdasher

9th grade English class, we flipped on the news and mostly watched that for the rest of the day.

3. SecretColor

From St. Louis, MO; go to school in Philly
    I was in chorus practice in 5th grade. I only saw the news broadcast about it, but it still was frightening.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I woke up about 15 minutes-ish before the second plane hit, watched it on tv with my mother and sister. It was a very unreal feeling, as if I was watching a movie or whatnot; shocked out of reality. And I just live in Montana - according to an online friend I know from NYC, it took years to fully lose that feeling.

5. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

I was 7 at the time and was home schooled. I woke up that morning to my loud next door neighbor (female) screaming like "What's going onnnnn!!", so I went downstairs where my mom was so I could....well.....see what was going on lol. She just turned on the news and was in complete shock. I didn't really understand what was going on.

I just remember later that day when my dad came home from work, me and him were watching it all on TV in the basement. One of the things I remember vividly was the people jumping out of the building....It shocked/disturbed me, and I knew then that something really bad had happened.

I didn't fully understand what had happened until maybe a year or two later.

6. ICTOAUN

I was in second grade. I watched the planes hit the towers on the news before school. I never fully understood what happened untl today actually. I never felt very affected by it. But I've been doing a lot of research on it and now I understand how devastating it was for our country. Sad sad day..

7. Mad Man L

I was asleep when the planes hit.

Me being me at that point in time, I didn't understand what it meant, so it never really stuck with me. All I remember was seeing the twin towers burning instead of Children;s Programs and just turned the TV off.

Similar thing happened with Shuttle Columbia. When it blew apart, I didn't freak out or cry, I just turned the TV off.

8. Danny19

i dont remember much. what i clearly remember is being with my mom in her room watching that pretty much all day. And the look on her face like did that really happen. and i remember one picture and thats both towers with smoke.. scary stuff

9. concklin

:eek: Did that ever freak you out?

10. U N Owen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was asleep so never really heard about it until later. That's the wonder of living on Alaska time.

11. TraceElement

7th grade. I was sitting in math class at about 10 waiting for my teacher to come in, and when she did, she was crying. Someone asked her what was wrong, and she mumbled something and said "I'm sorry, I'm over emotional. Let's get on with the lesson." I remember the class being really somber and quiet. I had lunch after that, and no one really talked about what happened. In English, my teacher sat down and asked us if we knew what happened. Someone who was also in my math class said that our math teacher didn't really say anything, so our english teacher explained what happened. My reaction (as a 12 year old) was along the lines of "oh, ok. It's a good 6 hours away. Nothing will happen to me." My soccer practice after school got cancelled, and when I got home, my mom gave me a hug and started crying. Sad to say, I had pushed the event out of my head for the rest of the school day and when my mom hugged me, it took me a second to figure out why.

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    9/11 was the day I had to go to the university to finalise my enrollment. Bring a recent picture, sign some documents, get all the folders, that kind of things. Uni was only 15 minutes by train from my parent's place, so it was really only an hour's worth of work.

I was actually way too nervous about it before leaving home, so I didn't check the TV or the news, and if people on the train were already talking about it, I was too nervous on the journey to uni, and too engrossed in the brochures on the way back.

Then, when I got back home, I switched on the TV and saw the first tower burning. Such a surreal sight I just assumed it was a movie. I started up the computer planning to play a game and at that moment the second plane hit.
    And only on that moment, it hit me that it wasn't some dumb action movie.

I think I didn't miss one photon coming off that TV for the next 18 hours or so. And neither did my parents. Even though it was happening relatively far away it felt like something momentous was happening just outside the doorstep.

13. maverick

I was in home room when it happened, and we watched it on TV all day long at school.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usltm7FSm38[/YOUTUBE]

These are the only people I really remember from that day. At first I thought it was desks falling out of the building. This clip says "What the networks won't show you!" but I distinctly remember seeing this happen live on national news.

14. Giorria

Giorria Guest

When the first plane hit I was in school just getting ready to go home, I remember the second plane hit at around 5-10 minutes after I got home and It was only a 15 minute walk from school. That is one of the only things that I remember from when I was back in school.

15. Noahroxursox

I was in preschool when it happened, and all I remember is my mom coming to pick me up, and just doing nothing for the res of the day

16. maverick

Christ kid, you make me feel old. I was in high school. :lol:

17. Tim

Tim

Home. Had no freakin clue what the world trade center was. Just thought it was a random building that had a plane fly into it.

Spent the entire time in middle school watching the news.

Though, not to disrespect people who lost loved ones there, I'm getting -really- sick of the 9/11 spam on every single site. I know what day it is. I don't need reminding 2 weeks before through 2 weeks after it. It's 10 years later. People will never be able to move on if the media constantly brings it back up.

I know it's a rude thing to say, but people need to move on and have closure for their loved one's deaths. That doesn't come from constantly being reminded of it when they turn on the news.

18. mischa91

I was in high school in the UK, in the library and remember seeing the tv behind the librarians desk on which was odd since it was never on. At first i though they had a film on or something but the i realized it was the news.

19. Hemera

I was in third grade. I remember around 9 o clock an announcement came on for ALL teachers to turn on their tv and then about a couple of minutes later the teachers were crowded into the hallway whispering and a few kids burst out crying

20. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was getting ready for school. I was in 7th grade. I would always watch the news in the morning before walking to school. So before I left I was about to shut off the television. The news reporters came on with breaking news saying a small airplane had crashed into the world trade center. I didn't think much of it because it's something that has happened before in my state, kid committed suicide like that once, no biggie.

I got to school and everyone was oblivious to what was going on. I went to my math class and my friend asked me if I had heard about the two planes. I told him it was one, teacher corrected me and turned on the TV. By this time both towers were hit.

The way classes were conducted at our school was that we had teams. Our team decided not to let us watch the news at all that day while other teams let their kids watch. I got all my news from only 2 elective classes where teams were mixed.

I had to wait until 4:00pm to find out what was going on.

The only scary part/most memorable event of my whole day was the amount of classmates that were being picked up from school. Every 3 min the intercom/phone would ring because another child was being picked up or sent home. Part of the reason that I didn't find out what was going on was because by the end of the day the school was a ghost town. No cars on the road and silent walk home.

As soon as I got home I turned on the TV only to have my mother shut it off and tell me "haven't you had enough of watching that!?" So I only found out what really happened through out the week in the mornings when I got to watch the news and youtube..yeah mainly youtube. Later that year there was an influx of people from NYC to our school and we all kinda knew why.