1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are we messed up?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ICTOAUN, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ICTOAUN

I'm starting to feel like there is something wrong with us. Why are we gay. Can someone reassure me that I'm not messed up?

2. maverick

Just because something's not common doesn't mean it's not normal.

3. Psymark

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it's fabulous to be gay. The only thing I would change is how it is perceived. What is messed up is the fact that some people hate it.

4. jimL

There is nothing wrong with you. I totally thought the same thing for many years. Now I realize that it's not wrong being gay it's just different. Be proud of being gay! I now am. I must admit it took me way longer to realize that than it should have. I was just scarred of being different that the norm. Love yourself.

5. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

sex·u·al or·i·en·ta·tion

Noun: A person's sexual identity in relation to the gender to which they are attracted; the fact of being heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual.
    Sexual orientation is something completely natural. Some people like the same sex, some like the opposite. It's really in all honesty nothing to make a huge deal over. It's just who you wanna fuck, really.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's something DIFFERENT about us, but I wouldn't say that means there's something wrong with us.

My brother is left-handed. That means he's different from most other people. Is that messed up, or wrong? No - he just got a pair of green-handled scissors in school, learned not to smudge what he was writing, and life goes on, you know?

I'm gay. That means I'm different from most other people. Is that messed up, or wrong? No - I just had to look elsewhere for my eyecandy and potential mates than my friends did, and life goes on, you know?

Lex

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are the ones with the problem. If it weren't for all the hate in the world for anything even remotely different than what has been pre-defined as "normal" being LGTB wouldn't be a big deal.

8. ICTOAUN

Thanks guys <3. Its helping a lot. I appreciate your encouraging words.. what about the whole 'it isn't natural' argument? I mean, technically it isn't right? Idk maybe I'm just being homophobic. Ah, I just want to accept myself. Help!

9. maverick

Actually, homosexuality is quite natural amongst mammals who operate under evolved social structures. Elephants, lions, dolphins, hyenas, buffalo, apes, all of them exhibit homosexual behavior in their respective communities. The bonobo chimpanzee, which is humanity's closest genetic relative, is a species in which bisexuality is the norm, rather than heterosexuality. Homosexuality is also found in several species of birds, lizards, and insects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

So as you can see, queermos show up pretty spontaneously in nature. :slight_smile:

Amazing what they DON'T teach you in school, eh?

#9 maverick, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  10. FloatingPiano

Homosexuality is perfectly normal in my opinion, just as being left handed is, or having different eye colors. It's a natural variation among us and many other species. Just because something is not the majority or the most widely accepted doesn't mean it's not normal.

11. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The notion that something isn't natural because only humans do it is silly, anyhow. Take complex language and religious faith (or a decisive lack thereof), for example. Nobody would claim that they aren't natural based on the fact that other species don't communicate or express themselves in those ways. It shouldn't be any different with sexual behaviour, but our culture has this big taboo on it.

12. paper person

Just for the sake of asking a stupid question. than why is there not blue eye pride groups?

I totally get what your feeling OP and i may not have infinite words of wisdom but i do have these (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

Feel better

13. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, people don't see any controversy in eye colour. Nobody disagrees over whether people choose to be blue eyed or whether it's natural. Unlike left-handedness in the not so distant past, for instance.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if anybody wants to pull the "natural" argument, they best be doing it in the nude (or au naturale, as the French say), while eating nuts and berries. And they better NOT make it while online...

If anything, we're making too many humans, collectively. Us being gay is just our way of not contributing to that problem. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. s5m1

I don't get hung up on labels like normal, natural, etc., anymore. I am me, and I am not going to change. So, rather than struggle with questions of whether I am normal or messed up, I decided to just be happy with who I am and enjoy life.

16. ICTOAUN

I guess I'm just worried about ppl judging me. I came out to 6 ppl over the summer and I was feeling awesome.. now that I'm back in school, and noticing such close minded ppl.. I'm starting to sneak back into my closet.

17. Zontar

Whether being gay is a disease or not, that's the last reason to start feeling ashamed of yourself.

18. faustian1

We're as normal as can be. Society makes us feel alone. You're way ahead of most people, because you admit what you like.

If you're messed up, it's not because of being gay. It's because you can't figure out how to have a rewarding social life. That's a problem we share with a lot of straight people.

19. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Who isn't messed up ?

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I guess I'm just worried about ppl judging me. I came out to 6 ppl over the summer and I was feeling awesome.. now that I'm back in school, and noticing such close minded ppl.. I'm starting to sneak back into my closet.

(Some) people will judge you on your gender, your clothes, your race, your geopolitical status, and what color car you drive. "Haters gonna hate". :slight_smile:

Lex