1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Irene

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by British Lad, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Veronica

That's pretty much correct, yes :slight_smile:

2. maverick

So how did he recover? :lol:

3. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I now live on an island. Fortunately, we didn't lose power - that's essentially how I measure if a storm is severe or not. Flooding? Pshaw! Lost power? Lord have mercy!

#23 IsItSo, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Go to the store and pick one up or wait for the ice cream truck to roll around. If you haven't had one then you're missing an essential part of childhood nostalgia! But don't feel bad if you haven't had one. I'm still missing my chocotaco nostalgia. It was always a dollar more than the cyclone at the icecream truck so i never got it but soon...:badgrin:

[​IMG]

5. maverick

OMGCHOCOTACOS.

*tear*

That's like a piece of my childhood.

6. s5m1

While this was certainly no Katrina, we were also lucky that the storm weakened significantly before and after making landfall in North Carolina. Even a category one hurricane can cause great death and destruction, depending on where it strikes and how well people prepare. Remember, as of this time, even Irene caused 14 deaths. The storm surge from a weak hurricane can still destroy coastal buildings and sweep people to their deaths if they don’t evacuate. That is one of the reasons there were so many warnings in the media. People along the East Coast have very little experience with hurricanes and may not have taken the threat seriously. Had the storm not weakened, we may have seen many more deaths and injuries.

Even in its weakened state, this was a pretty impressive storm. My house shook a few times last night. There are quite a few trees down in my area, including one that fell on a house (fortunately, nobody was hurt). Power outages are widespread too.

Having lived through a night in the eye wall of Hurricane Andrew, I have a healthy respect for these storms and will continue to take every one of them seriously.

7. redstormrising

we came through pretty much ok. didn't lose power til almost 3 am. i was antsy and couldn't sleep with the wind howling, so i spent the storm making a lovely rainbow friendship bracelet . . . which i will probably never wear. it got really nasty out after the power went out, but i eventually managed to get to sleep, and power was back on when i woke up at 8 am. we lost a couple shutters off the house and had some minor flooding in the basement. soon as the power came back on, the sump pump cleared out all the water - but now we are facing the gargantuan task of removing everything from the basement so we can change the carpet. not too bad, all things considered. one of my friends has 3 feet of water in her basement!

8. Noahroxursox

^^ Wow... So the storm did do some damage around where I live, but none to my house (fortunately), some trees fell, and the nearby river is at least two feet deeper then usual (went swimming there today), and a ton of places don't have power, which is why we are missing our first day of school, lol :icon_bigg:grin:

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    21 dead....R.I.P....

10. blikeo

a tree fell on my house and over 40 people died so far, i think its pretty bad.

#30 blikeo, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're okay though blikeo?

12. Mad Man L

When a hurricane makes impact on such heavily populated areas, I don't mean to be cruel, but you need to "expect" deaths. The reason only 1 died (indirectly) from TC Yasi in North Queensland is because the number of people there is equivalent to about the same amount of population in a square km in New York, if not less.

A lot of these people would not have necessarily been 'hurricane prepared'.