1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bout that earthquake, east coast?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mr.Pushover, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

We felt here in Canada!

2. RedState

Capitol and White House evacuated, nation experiences brief economic recovery

3. Emberstone

who wants to bet pat robertson will masterbate himself under the desk again while claiming the earthquake is god's wrath for giving black people and women the right to vote...

4. redstormrising

my whole building evac'd for about an hour. we had a bomb scare a few years back that left us outside for many hours, so we've since learned to take all our stuff with us when we clear out. so, i spread a blanket on the grass, used my lunch bag as a pillow, and laid out in the sun reading my Kindle until we got the all-clear signal

5. Tim

Tim

My facebook is full of people shouting:

"For fuck's sake. We freak out over a 6.5 last year, and the east coasters tell us to shut up, it's a stupid earthquake, now they get a 5.8, and supposedly, it's the end of the world, so now I tell you. SHUT THE HELL UP."

Or something similar.

I'm finding it quite entertaining. xD Though I do agree with the comments. 5.8 really isn't much to worry about, and honestly, I'd probably just be all "Pass the Salt" if it happened at a dinner table. xD

6. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

No, I didn't feel it. I live in Oregon. I have never felt an earthquake. We had an earthquake years and years ago when I was maybe about 7 or 8 years old, but I slept through the entire thing. LOL.

7. Hitchhiker

I'm in Virginia and I sure felt it! I was at a stop light and we thought my cousin was bouncing in the car, but then it got way too violent to be her bouncing and we saw the stoplight like swinging. SCARY!

8. maverick

We didn't feel it in northern Alabama. Too far from the epicenter I guess.

9. concklin

Leave it to those 2 to throw some politics into a thread about a god damn earthquake. Seriously guys?

Anyways...
    I remember on the news they highlighted the large chunk of east coast that felt the quake, and Alabama might have been just outside that chunk.

10. RedState

>>>Leave it to those 2 to throw some politics into a thread about a god damn earthquake.
    Leave it to someone on here not to be able to take a joke.
    I actually thought they were both kinda funny.

#30 RedState, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  11. Emberstone

lucky you on sleeping through that quake. that was the one in 93, I assume... I didnt have the luxery of sleeping through it :slight_smile: and instead got to ride it out on the top bunk of a rickety, top heavy bunkbed.

12. FrozenFlame

I was just getting out of my Geometry class, sort of felt it but not really. It didn't feel any different than the 3000+ student crowd walking by as usual.

Everyone in my school was freaking out today. I live in central South Carolina, so we barely got the tail end of it. I think its just ridiculous how everyone was blowing it out of proportion here.

Almost half of my family lives in Lynchburg, Roanoke, or just outside of Richmond - all in VA - and we couldn't get them on the phone for a few hours. Worried me half to death about them all. Worst thing that happened was a book fell on one of my cousins' head ^^

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oddly, Colorado had a similar earthquake the day before. But since it was in Colorado, nobody cared. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. Emberstone

i cared. I saw the breaking news for that a few nights ago just after it hit, and I spent like two hours trying to think my way through what possible geologic function would set off a earthquake in colorado, with no volcanos, no subduction zones, and no rosie o'donnell doing jumping jacks to be the trigger.