1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite book/author/genre

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by The Black Rabbit, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Favorite books are The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

2. Kanen

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Seriously, my favorite book ever. It is life-changing - at least in my opinion. Something every teenager, especially LGBT teens, should read. The style of writing is a bit amateur towards the beginning, but that's because the author chooses to write the book in almost diary format. If you find it hard to get into, just keep going. It gets so much better.

Besides that, I'm a huge fantasy nerd. J.K. Rowling, George R.R. Martin, Brandon Sanderson, and Robert Jordan are my favorites.

3. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams.

Also love Stephen King.

4. mischa91

You dont sound stupid. I'm reading Jane Eyre right now.

5. Hitchhiker

YES! Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the best. :slight_smile:
    Also I love Michael Crichton.

6. Hazel

I'm a Stephen King nut, but I really prefer his short stories. I think it's where he does what he does best. Skeleton Crew was a pretty good collection.

7. Leif

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein is also one of my favorites.

8. Veronica

Read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency? Pretty damn funny too.

But I actually thing Terry Pratchett does the whole absurd world bit better than Adams because he manages to get a decent story into it as well. Hitchhikers Guide is hilarious, but the storyarc, especially over the whole trilogy (of five books), leaves much to be desired.

9. XXReye

My favourite genre is fantasy, not that I haven't necessarily enjoyed books set in the "real world", but it would be hard for them to become my favourites.

As for books and authors, here's my list of favourite books (and the people who wrote them)

The Demon's Lexicon trilogy by Sarah Rees Brennan.
    It's a YA Urban Fantasy, and it is written so very well. I can only give details of the first book, because anything past that is spoilers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Brother's Nick and Alan Ryves are on the run from a group of magicials who are trying to steal a talisman that the boys' mother stole from them (though the talisman keeps his mother alive). In the course of this, they run into Mae and Jamie Crawford, who are seeking the magicians to remove a demon's mark from Jamie. SRB has a very particular sense of humour that is always right on the ball - her characters are all hilarious in their own ways, and her humour never gets in the way of the story. She is very good at injecting both heartbreak and a nice touch of dark humour into a scene. She writes characters so amazingly well.
    And as a side note, Jamie is gay. SRB is a big supporter of gay rights and visibility of gay teens in YA literature.

Animist and Villains By Necessity by Eve Forward.
    I read Animist first, when I was in grade 6 (though I'm sure it's marketed as an adult book). The main character, Alex, is an animist - someone trained to communicate with an animal they find as their familliar. He's an orphan that was bought by the Animist college, and in order to gain his freedom, he goes out on a quest to make enough to buy himself back. What I liked about this book was just that there were so many layers of things going on, and some great plot twists, as well as the difficulty of maintaining a human-animal relationship, as well as the interactions between human and non-human magical races.
    Villains by Necessity takes place in a world after good has won its battle with evil. However, since that then throws the world out of balance, a group of villains must then try to save the world from be sublimated into unending brightness.

The Lies Of Locke Lamora/Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch.
    It focuses on Locke, a thief and con-man, and his small gang of friends as they attempt to make a large fortune and not drop any of the various lies they've got going on. However, Locke gets into trouble because the reputation he's built up for himself attracts the attention of people who would like to use his "skills" - which he does not actually have. My synopsis can never do it justice
    Worldbuilding, worldbuilding. Scott Lynch is so amazing at making Locke's world seem real. The first book alternates between the main storyline, and bits of Locke's past or historic fact that you'll need in order to understand upcoming events. Also, interpersonal relationships - Scott Lynch is a master of this. He's also very great at stabbing you in the chest and twising the knife around. This series breaks your heart in the most glorious of ways. So far, only two books of a planned 7 are out, The Lies of Locke Lamora, and Red Seas Under Red Skies.

10. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think "A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore is my favorite of all time no matter how :***: up and twisted some parts are. :grin:

11. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Book: The Godfather. How else could I explain it, other than a thrilling, suspenseful, and overall amazing story of a mafia boss and his family? I don't even know where to begin. Also, Harry Potter. I grew up with this kid.
    Author: I don't really have one.
    Genre: I love most genres, whether it be action/adventure, romance (not the cheesy kind, i.e. Nicolas Sparks), drama, tragedy, mystery, crime, fantasy (it has to be something like Lord of the Rings, if so), and non-fiction (like biographies of people in this time going through stuff, not like "Abraham Lincoln's life"). I am not big on sci-fi, except for Star Wars, which I will always love, and I hate "chick-flick" books such as Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. And again, I won't read romance if it's cheesy or without real, serious conflict. I also dislike most books that are considered "young-adult" and my "age appropriate level", because I am much more mature than anyone around my age and when I look at these books, I find them boring and childish, unless it's something like Harry Potter.

#31 ilovedogs9, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  12. Hanil

Well, I'm used to read everything I can everytime I can, so I put monsters like Orwell, Wilde and Bronte next to contemporary authors like Mark Haddon and Johnatan Coe. And also Holly Balck, who write metropolitan fantasy. Maybe it's a bit weird xD
    Uhm, favourite books... "1984" of Orwell, "Wuthering Heights" of Emily Bronte, "The house of sleep" of Coe, "A spot of bother" of Haddon, "Sputnik Sweetheart" of Murakami, "The good thief" of Hannah Tinti, the italian saga of the ancient roman Publio Aurelio Stazio of Danila Comastri Montanari... Actually I've a lot of favourite books.

Me too! I love her books - and I can't understand how some people could say they're stupid, 'cause they're not at all o__o

#32 Hanil, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  13. marvin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have. I think I like it better than the Hitchhiker books actually.

"One lump or two? . . . Sugar?" (I don't know why I find that so funny.)