1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does liking glee almost ensure someone is gay friendly?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Foxywolf, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Lebowski45

Add me to the list of gay people who doesn't like Glee. I've never seen it but the concept sounds horrific (I simply cannot watch any musical-type things, they just annoy me). But then again, I seem to go against the stereotype on practically everything.....which is actually quite annoying sometimes.

To the OP, I don't know enough about the show to give much advice, but I wouldn't imagine liking a tv show gives a completely accurate picture of whether they are accepting or not. As others have said though, perhaps bringing up the gay characters in the show and guaging her reaction would give you a better idea. I'm sure she'll be cool with it though

2. Foxywolf

Yeah hopefully, she seems like she COULD end up being an accepting person. And at least talking about glee i could figure out her stand on gay issues without being 'suspicious' haha. Thanks for the advice everyone.

But i still find it strange that homophobes like the show. It just seems peculiar to me. It is how it is though.

I don't think its unreasonable for a gay person to dislike the show. I mean just cuz someone is gay it does not mean they are going to like every show with gay people in it.

3. Olive

You'd definitely think so, but I have a friend who LOVES Glee and is mildly homophobic.

I've personally only seen 1 episode, but I liked it; might have something to do with me being in show choir!

4. Foxywolf

Haha just wanted to update all you guys and tell you that I talked with my room mate about glee and I said I liked Kurt and Blane together and she said yeah they are cute. So makes me happy that she is not a homophobe after all! Now I know she is pretty much okay with gay guys, but does this also imply that she may be okay with gay girls? Cuz you know some girls are okay with gay guys but not okay with gay girls. Maybe next time I should say something about Brittany and Santana.

5. Katelynn

I would definitely bring up the Brittany/Santana relationship, but if she doesn't have a problem with the Kurt/Blane storyline, I can't see her opinion changing too much...

6. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not necessarily. Y'all should also be warned that a lot of people who like shows like Glee objectify gays, which is just another variety of discrimination.

7. starlightonmars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Casually ask her opinion on Brittana/ Santana being a lesbian, and see what she says. She'll probably be fine, but I know a few homophobic people who watch Glee. I've personally found the fans who are obsessed with Glee (like those on Tumblr and LJ) are not homophobic but the more casual fans of the show sometimes are. But like Just Passing said, the show is pretty gay, so she must be at least remotely comfortable with the idea.

8. MyBffIsGay

If you wanted to know if your roommate is gay friendly, I would just ask. I'd say something like I'm so impressed that Kurt & Blaine can be so open about their feelings & be out so young. Don't you agree? Or How do you feel about their relationship? I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

9. Gambit

My brother likes Glee and he's very homophobic.