1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The riots in London

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DarkClarity, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Shevanel

I thought they were rioting in Vancouver because the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: xD

2. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He lives in Ealing, just off the shopping center and heaven green, which are where all the rioters were apparently

3. FJ Cruiser

From what I understood, that was just the excuse that was used to precipitate the riots.

4. Just Adam

Well what has been happening is actually complex.

It started as a peaceful protest against the police shooting of person last week. Then people started showing up and rioting ensued with police, property, vehicles and journalists attacked.

People said that people they didn't recognise from the area were the ones that showed up and started the violence. It was reported that big crime lot had used the riot for the looting or summat like that.

Problem is the rooters and looters were posting information on twitter not hard I would imagine for proper criminals to find and use.

The latest was the police were stood watching people loot a napkin store amongst otters and were doing nothing. The reason apparently is security cameras Ans they will be arrested later. For now they were holding the perimeter lines.

5. Vinny

"Riots confirmed in London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Bristol, Leeds; rumoured in Manchester, Nottingham, Bradford."

The riots have spread from one city to about 8 in one night.

Well done, England.

They need to open fire on the rioters.

6. Idonteven

They need to leave my Bristol alone. Or I shall smite them.

A pic of a looter posing with a stolen bag of Tesco Value Bas... on Twitpic

one of the looters ^ funniest thing I've ever seen. RRP of that is 30p by the way.

On a more serious note, this is disgusting senseless violence and I hope to God they're all caught, arrested and sent down for 10 years or more. Some people have lost their homes, small businesses, everything. The fear and terror they've caused is unimaginable to anyone who hasn't experienced it.

7. Harve

[YOUTUBE]v4pcbiO4flY[/YOUTUBE]

Dayum.

And everyone from outside the country reading this? This is the olympic city next year!

#27 Harve, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    These riots are completely insane. I guess that people now don't understand what peaceful protests are anymore...

9. KittyBoy

I had no idea that it spread to Bristol and Leeds too. Though if riots break out in Manchester I wouldn't be surprised....

10. ezkill

Opening fire would make it worse.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that then people would riot because they were opening fire. But then again I think no matter what they are just rioting now because they can.

12. KittyBoy

And considering that most of those rioting are young people just reinforces that opinion

13. starfish

I was in Vancouver for games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup finals. They won those games. The atmosphere was very charged. People were very excited and emotional. For the most part the crowd was in control, but it would not have taken much to push them over the edge.

This is what happened with the riots after they lost. There was a small group that planned to start a riot whether they won or lost. When you have a large group of people like that who feel very strongly a small group can start the violence. It will spread like wild fire.

Looks like the same thing happened here. People were already pissed off at the government. They gathered to protest, putting a large group of pissed off people in one area. The another group comes in and starts something.

I hope that everyone living in the effected areas are safe. I would strongly suggest making arrangements for an emergency egress. If things get worse you may have to leave in a hurry.

14. Just Passing

These riots make me feel embarrassed to be British right now. :frowning2:

15. Idonteven

This has nothing to do with people being angry at the Government, check your TV screens, look at the pictures. They're mostly, around 90% young people, under 18, who are having 'fun' and getting thrills out of this. They're looting and stealing and setting fire to things for their enjoyment. This didn't spawn out of a protest either. It especially didn't in Bristol, Birmingham and Liverpool. People just saw an opportunity to steal.

I took this from the Telegraphs live update page,

#35 Idonteven, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  16. Nodnarb

Yep. I was reading some blog earlier and there were several commenters trying to make out like the riots were a big protest against the government, and another commenter responded with something I felt was very accurate; "This is no revolution". Regardless of whether the original march/protest had merit, this has clearly just devolved into mindless looting.

17. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Really it's not as complex as a lot of you are making it out to be
    it's just a bunch under 23's having "fun". there's no real reason for these "riots"
    there's a significant difference between a riot with meaning and a bunch of twats ransacking the whole place. i'm pretty sure very few of them even remember the 'cause of the original riot in the first place. the're just using this opportunity to steal and fight, it's quite sad really.

18. Just Adam

I'm not worried about looters in my city. In 70's -80's if you crossed the city bridge separating two sides of town you were usually stabbed. Yea >>

But these damn rooters tried their bullshit here I'm not sure they would get out of town alive haha. We have an extremely low tolerance for such people.

Kinda shows the current generation of people in these cities. Time was we suffered no fools Ans showed them little mercy either... Now too many people are idiots to do much about it all.

Why is it every person I see on the tv rioting and looting is ethnic or a White ki in a hoody trying to act street. Is the uk reall just 1 large ghetto now. Is it time for a new immigration policy ? Anyone who says innit or blood or you get me is kicked out o the country ?

That could solve a lot of issues. Cut down population and get rid of the ghetto chavs.

Shooting won't help matters though so yea military ain't an option.

I dunno this post seems random. I'm tired

---------- Post added 9th Aug 2011 at 10:57 AM ----------

I wouldn't call burning people home and endangering lives fun. All for a bag of rice and some l.e.d's from maplins.

#38 Just Adam, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  19. DarkClarity

It seems that the damage is going to cost insurance companies "tens of millions" according to the BBC. Not sure how much the damage is going to cost the taxpayer yet.

20. Mad Man L

Some would call me a fascist for saying this (according to some I have fascist streaks, but that makes little sense considering I'm an economic conservative/social liberal), but its times like these where you need to start killing people.

It is obvious that these rioters are socially inept idiots - rioting for the sake of rioting and pissing people off. Its time to come in with some proper discipline and begin attacking big time instead of fairy-footing around the issue trying to be 'politically correct'.

It's the big issue I have with the Australian law system. Once we start getting tough, people will either:
    a) Stop doing the crime.
    b) Die.

Both options are good for society.

But back to the topic, it is just a mindless mob of rioters/anarchists. I'm sorry, but its riots like these which support the case against anarchy.