1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We don't need men to make babies??

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by KaotikPrincess, Jul 29, 2011.

1. KaotikPrincess

I feel a little stupid for posting this but here goes...

My friend told me that a lesbian couple can make their own babies without male assistance. Well maybe not 100% without a man but she said we can take a sperm and eject the male DNA and inject it with lesbian A's DNA and then fertilize lesbian B's egg with the sperm and therefore it will create a child... but the child will be female because it's DNA would only be consisted of the XX chromosome and no Y chromosome at all...

Can anyone confirm this and provide any information on it? Has it been successful in recent studies? This is very interesting to me. :redface:

2. ihkcs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    never heard of this but sounds interesting.... the only story i've heard of lesbians making their own baby was a case where a woman (born male) had her sperm frozen before she had a sex change and later ended up using her sperm to create a baby with her girlfriend

3. KaotikPrincess

Aw, that's a touching story... and smart on her part :eusa_danc

4. Katelynn

That is EXACTLY what I intend to do for myself. I want to have my own children once I meet someone & settle down after I have had my GRS. I even desperately went thru a phase in my early 20s for a few years where I just wanted to be pregnant so badly. When I first heard about this, it at least gave me a little hope that I could have children, even if I couldn't be the one to give birth to them...

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So far as i remember from what i have read, the closest this has come to being reality is a substitution of mitochondrial DNA in one woman's egg with that of another woman's egg. Fertilisation still required a sperm, so in effect the child created had 3 parents. I believe this was done because of a problem with the recipient's mitichondrial DNA.

Remember though, mitochondrial DNA accounts for a tiny part of the whole sequence.

6. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's never been done with humans, although it's been successful in several experiments with animals. Either way, sperm is still required.

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

8. Hitchhiker

It took like 500 mice to have 2 live births, so I don't think it's going to be implemented in humans anytime soon, unfortunately. :frowning2:

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never heard anything like this before...

10. Mogget

There's some science fiction written from this premise. Some feminists back in the 60s (I think) had a field day with it.

11. Zontar

Babies from same-sex parents would be nothing short of a Frankenstenian biological nightmare.

I'd just stick to surrogacy and adoption.

12. KaotikPrincess

Okay thank you all for this information, I knew it sounded too good to be true. I guess my friend doesn't know what she is talking about!