1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose the first person you told?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Marlowe, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Gordon

I told my school counselor, just kinda slipped it into the conversation.

2. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I chose her because she had said she was bisexual, only queer friend I had.
    I did it by setting my facebook "interested in" to "men" but setting the privacy so that only she could see it, then I messaged her asking her to look at my profile. That was just the only way I could manage to get it done :/

3. FrozenFlame

There wasn't much planning for me...

Just a random afternoon when my little group of friends were headed to lunch after gym. My friends at the time only consisted of a lesbian, a bi guy, another bi girl, one chick who still confuses the hell out of me on this, and one straight girl.

Anyways, we had somehow gotten on the topic of sexuality and my one straight friend said, "Why are me and [name] the only straight ones?"

I just said, "Well... about that.."

And she flipped out for the rest of the walk to the cafeteria...

But everyone was cool with it so :lol:

4. Gordon

Brilliant! :lol: Can I use that sometime?

5. I almost didn't have to, my mom kinda-sorta-maybe already knew :lol:

6. acd92

I came out to a really close friend of mine. She was so supportive of me in the whole process. She was actually like, "oh, okay, that's it? I mean...you were so obvious." It was actually pretty awesome. I felt so relieved.

7. GhostDog

The first person I ever even vaguely mentioned possibly liking women to was someone I knew on World of Warcraft. I was incredibly uncertain and still torturing myself over it at the time and it was at a point where if I did not talk to another human being about it I was going to explode. She was a super-sweet, understanding type of lady and she let me ramble at her and made me feel better about it. Saying things like 'it's okay! you like who you like! you'll figure it out' and that sort of thing.

I still wrestled with the whole idea of it for another... Year or two, maybe. I don't know. I kinda flipped out after I talked to her about it and refused to let myself think about it for a while. Which, you know, totally works and isn't stressful at all. >.>

The first person I actually told, when I was pretty damn sure, was my best friend. The way I did it, though, was to allow myself to say, "I don't think I'd mind, actually..." when she pointed out that this girl was totally hitting on me. And she still had to get me drunk and drag a confession out of me. That may sound horrible but I doubt I would have come out at all if she hadn't done that. My brother was in the room at the time, too, but he had already told me he was gay so there was no doubt in my mind that he'd be anything but cool about it.

My best friend was totally cool with it too, and I knew she would be, which didn't mean I was any less shaky when it was over with.

8. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told the person because she changed to transgender recently and I thought it would be good to know that I am bi and I was there for support and visa versa.

9. flymetothemoon

I don't think I really felt I had a choice in who I told first...I was dating a guy at the time, and I had been with him for quite a while when I realized I was extremely interested in my current girlfriend. I held it in for a while, but I just knew I had to experiment and figure things out, and I couldn't do so without talking to him first so I told him. It was honestly terrifying, but it made telling all of my other friends feel much easier. The only other people that really scared me after that were my family.

10. Dax88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I chose my best friend at the time. She was female and straight, but from previous conversations I could tell that she would be alright with it. I chose to do it after school whilst waiting for a bus because I knew we would be alone.

As good as structured can be I'm pretty sure I had been overthinking it. For several years I actually kept a list of names and the dates on which I came out to them. You'll want some sense of control but there's often nothing wrong with being spontaneous. :icon_bigg

11. 4alex6

I told my best friend while we were up at some tennis courts finishing up a little match together. The topic kind of just came up and I told him that I thought I might be bi. He was very supportive and now I've been able to tell everyone else that I'm bi. Felt awesome to get off my chest. :slight_smile:

12. FukingPerfect

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The first person I told was also bi. I didn't know him very well, but I had a growing crush on him. He was telling me how he was bi and hanging out with his gf and it was so sweet. I wanted to tell him how I felt so I told him when we were alone. Today him and that girlfriend broke up and I told him that I really wanted to go out with him. That's how I came out ans for my first bf who I love ans hope to be with forever. :slight_smile:

13. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I told my brother I was bisexual when I was 16...I've always been able to talk to him about stuff...so it was a no brainer that he'd be the first to tell.

My sister was the first to know I that I'm a lesbian. We were talking one day and our conversation turned pretty deep and I just came out.

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I told two of my friends first because they had some other LGBT friends. They are twins so I just messaged both of them of facebook.

15. TerDelTay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just came out yesterday too my friend who works with me. She took it well. One of my employees said "fag" and I told them that was no longer to be said. Later that night we were talking about finding me a girlfriend. All of a sudden I was like can I trust you, will you promise not to freak. She said okay, I looked, frightened and said I'm gay, it just kinda happened. I almost broke down cause she didn't believe me, it took me telling her I thought a male customer was hot. She is the first person I told and she took it well. I hope to be fully out and dating. I'm really lonely and want a strong man to hold me and love me.

16. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

I thought she was my best friend.

17. KnightAssassin

mine's kinda i got fed up and i wrote a letter .... my dog died and i got in a fight with my dad and i was pissed off and angry and i was just like IM GAY in huge letters on papper the wrote a note around it and gave it to my best friend ...... looking back its a super LOL

18. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told 5 of my closest friends through a facebook message.
    Don't do it in a facebook message for the first time, it's very stressful.

Having to wait for my friends to respond and not knowing if they actually got it was hell. Plus, it's better to do it in a way where you can atleast talk about it with someone one-on-one if they need to talk about it.

I chose them because I already knew they'd be fine with it and I just wanted someone to know. I couldn't make myself say i'm gay to people in person at that point though.

19. Foxywolf

Told my friend that often made supportive remarks about gay people.

20. Yuki Shihoin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my best female friends who was also bi at the time but like a month later, decided she was purely lesbian.