1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scott Brown sits out Massachusetts delegation's 'It Gets Better' video

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...its-out-mass-delegations-it-gets-better-video

2. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Eh, he'll be booted out of office in a year.

3. Emberstone

yah. it is bad taste to sit out on a video that tries to held counter the epidemic of suicides caused by anti-lgbt bullying.

You enable it by being silent on it... not just by promoting that bullying is okay, which is a common right wing bullshit. They will bully whoever they want, and the moment someone criticizes them for their blatently uncivil and at times unconstitutional behavior, they whine that they are being bullied, when there is no comparrison between physical, emotional, and verbal abuse that is bullying, and being criticized for ones stupidity, which is criticisem, not bullying.

4. Eric

Let's wait a second here before we condemn him. As nice as it would be for him to have appeared in the video, the American economy is a few days away from being flushed down the toilet again, so it's understandable that he would prioritize that. Besides, as far as republicans go, he's very progressive on social issues. He's made it pretty clear that he's against bullying as well.

5. Dan82

don't count on it.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I think it's a chickenshit move.

If he was really So Incredibly Busy that he couldn't honestly take an hour or whatever it was and say something helpful for the "It Gets Better" campaign, and was spending every waking hour feverishly working on the budget and so-called "other important issues" then I wouldn't have an objection to it.

But when every other member of the delegation participates and he actively avoids it, then it sounds a lot more like pandering to the religious losers and other asshats who, contrary to the actual teachings of their religion, don't want to help those who are suffering.

In short, I think it had nothing to do with "working on more pressing issues" and everything to do with vote pandering. And that's really messed up.

7. Emberstone

besides, he is a senater if I remeber correctly... it is the house that is dealing with the budget at the moment... well, not so much dealing with it as delaying at the moment... they cant even get a vote together in the chamber they control.

it would have only taken probably 15 minutes to do. just say your lines, and tada, your done.

8. RedState

First of all, The Senate is just as involved in the current debt debate as The House is at the moment.

Secondly, I don't know the details behind this particular circumstance but it would be nice to know all the details of this thing before you condemn the man. Like I said, I don't know the particulars of this situation, but I do know this: For 6 years, every second of a U.S. Senators life is planned by the communications director, the state scheduler and the Washington scheduler. Maybe this was put together on short notice, perhaps he had a prior commitment, I don't know.

If he ducked out because he didn't want to be associated with gays (which I kinda doubt because he is not what I would call radical right wing) then shame on him....but I don't think we really know that.

9. Shevanel

This. For just about everything.

10. Mogget

Scott Brown's record on gay issues isn't exactly stellar.

11. concklin

Honestly I think it's better than him being forced to appear in the video and then have people call him two-faced.

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It's a video whose message is mostly, "Don't blow your brains out, wait a while and see if your life gets better."

I think it's sad that someone could support something like that and be considered two-faced.

13. Paper Heart

518: Number of days Senator Brown has been in office.
    0: Number of interviews he's given to LGBT media.

DADT was a gift. This is no surprise.