1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Job?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gordon, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    McDonald's too. I lasted four months. It's still been my only paying job, but I then got into volunteering.

2. Mogget

My first job was with a government agency as an intern. It rocked.

3. Bibliophile

Umm he had been there for some time but was a terrible boss. He was consistently late with our checks and even then would ask us to wait to cash them. Yet I did the night drops I know how much I was putting in. That and he treated us like crap. So eventually it was just me and he was still late with my money. Well one day he accused me of trying to slack off when I was just going to the bathroom so I quit on the spot. As a result he could not do two parties on the weekend because he had to cover the mall. Cost him a ton and he didnt last long after that because no one else would work for him.

4. redstormrising

gymnastics instructor at a township recreation program, along with a bunch of my teammates. i was 14, and the coordinator happened to be our gymnastics coach :slight_smile:

5. Johnnieguy

Paper boy for a community newspaper with a "voluntary payment contribution".

That means that customers didn't have to pay me and I was *supposed* to deliver the paper neatly to the front door no matter if they paid me or not. Yeah, I threw it in the middle of the yard (even during winter) for the assholes who wouldn't give me the $2 per month.

Much better jobs after that...Pharmacy and lawn-mowing business. Made big bucks (in my 15-year old mind) going into business for myself.

6. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My first, current, and only job so far is at this terrible paper factory in town. We make paper cups and paper plates and that sort of thing. I'm a packer/operator/trainer/safety mentor for the Folding Cartons department during the summers, and we make cup buddies. For those of you who aren't so cultured, a cup buddy is a cardboard ring that goes around your coffee cup so you don't burn yourself on it.

It's a total shithole but the people that work there are super nice and I get special treatment since I'm related to all of the supervisors so I can't complain too much. This Friday is my last day there, ever, and it can't come soon enough.

7. blankpaper

My first job was at my parents restaurant at the age of 11. Since then I've been working at farms which is much more fun :slight_smile:

8. starfish

I was a bagger at a grocery store. I worked there for about 6 months, before I found a higher paying job.

I really disliked that job. The going inside and outside all day during the 100 F heat in the summer, was no fun. Plus with my silly work ethic I got stuck working the shifts one one else wanted. Like 6am to 2pm on the weekends and 5pm to 10 pm on Fridays.

The job I got after that was a blast. I had a lot of great times at that job.

#28 starfish, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  9. I worked as a barista/waitress/kitchen assistant/etc person at a small family owned cafe. And yes, barista/waitress/kitchen assistant/etc person is the technical term lol

10. Just Passing

A paper boy for one area close to where I live. Got that job in April 2005 and am still doing it to this day, although because of how little the wages are at this point, I'll probably quit April next year, so I've done a nice round seven years.

The only other job I've had (and got for the moment) is a job doing telecoms. Great pay, but the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. Been there for two months, have another month and a bit to go before I can go back to college.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At a variety store, till I got fired because I was hired by McDonald's. -_-

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm starting at McDonald's soon.

13. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first legal job was at a restaurant. I quit after 4 days. I had a nervous breakdown, lost patches of my hair, and dropped 20 pounds in those 4 days.

Now I work at a grocery store. I've been there for 9 months. I work nights, 10 pm through 6 am. It pays okay, but all my co-workers are druggies. :dry:

My very first job was under the table, as in not taxable income, for a family friend. I helped him clean out an abandoned rental property for $8 an hour. It was much dirtier than it sounds. I don't know how people can live in such filth before skipping town...

14. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Video store. Occasionally horribly boring, occasionally horribly busy. A lot of stupid people. Seriously. Horribly messy unless I was working that day. One particularly lazy supervisor. I once showed up for a meeting about six hours after my previous shift ended. The meeting was canceled, and nobody bothered to tell me.

Not a horrible experience, though. A decent first job.

15. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first and only job I had up until my current career was working at a home improvement store. I was looking after my brother until 17 or so until he was more self-sufficient, and then really loved working there so stayed for a few years, even transferred to another branch later on. As a very shy person I loved the opportunity to chat to customers, and improve my confidence.

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first job (and current one) was being a substitute teacher for grades K-12.

17. hazza

My first job was stocking bars at concerts, but that was only for a few different concerts over the summer.

My first 'real' part time job that I worked every week was being an 'Instore Pizza Expert' at Domino's Pizza.

18. s5m1

My first job was working on sailboat in Miami. I grew up on the water so it seemed like the perfect job, even with the heat. Once I turned 18, I was able to get my captain's license and captain charter boats in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas. It was a lot of fun when I was young, but it was not steady work and the money was not great.

19. Harve

Kitchen Porter. Classy.

I do like it though!