1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New "Degrassi” Intro (Season 11)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Messed Up, Jul 20, 2011.

1. XXReye

I agree with you Tim...coming from someone who has been in Zane's position, there comes a point where you just can't give lenience anymore. Especially after the stunt Riley pulled at the birthday dinner. He didn't have to mock him like that.

I think the new opening works, since there have been a lot of scenes of them in the weight room this season :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: At first I was sad that they weren't being more of a couple,
    but since they've broken up now I see why they didn't do that.
    I don't think it would be very accurate to have Riley doing LGBT Club stuff, because to me it doesn't seem like he's ready to be that out/open about himself.

I REALLY love the Adam storyline. They have been doing an amazing job of it so far. It's good that they inserted some humour into it too (like when Adam dropped his pee all over Dave). I'm glad they didn't drop his trans issues altogether after the first two episodes featuring him...they coulda swept the problems he would face under the rug, but they didn't.

I also like the current Fiona storyline...since I know a lot of LGB kids get into their first relationship with someone who is older than them. It shows the issues she faces dating someone who is a more "experienced" lesbian than herself.

*huge Degrassi nerd*

2. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I pretty much agree with everything you said here.. except the Fiona thing. I really don't get this storyline. I guess I don't get lesbian storylines in general. I think they are rarely done well. Most of the time they are only done to draw in more viewers, basically male viewers, and therefore the lesbian storylines are not very realistic. It's easier to sell lesbians and lesbian sex on tv than gays. It's the truth. I know this is VERY off topic for Degrassi, but I still have to mention it to get my point across.. Neighbours is an Australian soap and they currently have a gay storyline going on. Anyway, the producer said right out that there would be very little PDA and that they couldn't allow kissing. This is coming from a show that had lesbians and lesbians kissing not too long ago. Lesbians are fine, but gays and gay sexuality is not. It's the same here in Norway. We have NEVER had a gay character on tv here. We had a lesbian on the biggest soap here. Yes, they got to kiss and touch each other. Many people even WANTED a gay guy on the soap, but the producers were too scared and made the new guy straight and had a boring straight relationship instead. Ugh.. I don't know, I'm just not a huge fan of lesbian storylines. It kinda makes me sick how they are misused to draw in the straight male audience, take for example Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones. There were lesbians in Game of Thrones having sex, which had no affect on the story. They were just in the background having sex. Yeah.. amazing stuff. And Mexico had a prominent lesbian storyline last year on a national tv channel, but the year before they had a gay storyline going on, and they cut out the gay kiss from the soap, because it's too controversial. The lesbian storyline featured them having sex, while the gays on the other soap couldn't even kiss each other on the mouth. It's the same kinda double standard in so many countries, and it's pissing me off. Even in USA doing gay storylines there's still a double standard. Lesbian storylines are used more in new tv series than gay storylines, because it's easier to "sell" lesbians doing it than guys. Again, take for example Boardwalk Empire. It's supposed to be an "edgy" tv series, right? Yet they wouldn't dare doing a gay storyline, they did a lesbian storyline, that is far from controversial.. they only did it to please their male audience. If they wanted to be edgy they could have had a gay storyline instead.

Ugh.. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'm pissed off by the double standard. I often find the gay storylines more realistic and done well compared to the lesbian storylines, which I usually can't stand. Even guys watching the Degrassi storyline said stuff like "Go get it Fiona, that was hot" and even said "what was the point of the storyline? oh well.. who cares? it was hot" etc etc.. it pisses me off. I just can't watch lesbian storylines without being annoyed, so I watch gay storylines instead. I know at least two other lesbians who feel the same way as me. They prefer to watch gay storylines too, because they tend to be more realistic and are not made from a sex perspective. Whatever.. I'll just continue to watch Riley's storyline and Adam's storyline. I can always FF the Fiona stuff.

3. XXReye

Hmm, I have definitly seen the same double standard in general media that you're talking about, and believe me, it bothers me as well. Take House for example, they had Thirteen making out with girls in a few scenes, and despite the ship-tease between House and Wilson, the producers said nothing would come of it because it was a "man show".

But I do think it is important for Degrassi to explore lesbian storylines. TNG has been really good at covering both gay and lesbian relationships equally. Marco and his various relationships got a lot of coverage, and I'm pretty sure there was some kissing in there. Same with Riley and Zane.
    The first lesbians on there, Paige and Alex...yeah, there was sexy scenes thrown in, but a lot more of it was focused on their relationship dynamics too. I like that Fiona's storyline now doesn't focus SO much on the gay asepect, but other issues within the frame of their relationship (dating someone older, of a different class, and balancing a relationship with her alcoholism). I was upset when they first got together and it seemed to be moving really fast (thought it was gonna fall into L Word territory), but I was glad that they addressed that issue too.

4. Tim

Tim

Which was funny, because they said early on House had just as much chance to end up romantically involved with Wilson as he did with Cutty.

Onto Fiona... I was more annoyed that Fiona broke up with Charlie because she was an alcoholic. Let Charlie have a choice in the matter, FFS. She seemed pretty okay with having to get rid of the alcohol.

5. XXReye

I think Fiona more thought that she couldn't balance both a relationship and her recovery. I know a lot of times it isn't reccomended for a recovering addict to get into a relationship for at least a year. It would've been cute to see Charlie help her through it, but I'm glad Fiona is taking her recovery seriously (I was so worried she would take a drink!)

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was hoping Fiona/Charlie would work out :/

On the topic of Adam, I pity the kid. (The whole situation with his love interests getting swooped up my Drew) But overall, he's one of the few characters I can honestly say I like (next to Wesley).

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow just looked at the episode list...yeah Riley and Zane aren't going to be touched at at all...at least I mean they haven't been for 10 episodes..and unless the Prom episode or something is when they're brought up again, I'm really now disappointed in Degrassi.

8. XXReye

Well, Riley and Zane broke up. There's not really anywhere they can go with their relationship unless Riley decides to come out (and I don't see that happening soon). They COULD be reunited in the prom episode, but I think realistically Riley will continue being closeted.

I think it has more to do with how each season has more of a focus on certain characters. This one has had a lot of focus on Drew and Eli. In a show with as many characters as Degrassi has, someone is always bound to be left out of focus. Previous seasons have focused on gay characters and their issues, so I don't think it's intentional. There just happens to be more drama with other characters right now.

9. Tim

Tim

Actually, Riley has been out of the focus pretty much every season, only getting 2 storyline episodes each time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think it's more because Marco had so much focus before.

10. XXReye

Doi, to me it seemed like he was getting a lot of attention, cause of all his steroid abuse issues as well...though it could be that all these episodes happened in different seasons and I've just tacked them all together in my head :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'd still like them to touch on him being closeted with his rents...do you know how much it resembles what my life use to be like? Just would like a story in there...

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't believe "Now or Never" is almost over. When are they suppose to come back to wrap up S. 11?

13. Tim

Tim

Typically in 4-6 month. D:

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The end for 'Now or Never' was pretty damn good. A lot more impressive than 'The Boiling Point' and 'In Too Deep'.