1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay people who inspire you

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bowie, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Mr.Pushover

Dumbledore and Ellen.

2. trannydude

harvey milk, the first openly gay man to be apointed to a spot in government. he only made it to a son francisco city supervisor when he was assasinated. they made a movie about his rise to government called 'milk'. it is my altime favorite movie! :grin:

3. Allecto

Willow and Tara - They're fictional characters, but they were my first queer role models.
    Ladyhawke - Not only is she a lesbian, but she has Asperger's as well. I have Asperger's and it's really inspiring to see an autistic girl make it.
    John Constantine from Hellblazer - He's not really a role model, but he's a total BAMF. He's bisexual and he isn't written as a stereotype. He's just a magnificent bastard who happens to like men and women.
    Yamino - She's a webcomic artist who is really talented.
    All of my queer buds (both online and IRL). Y'all are amazing.

4. DareToEatAPeach

Sir Ian McKellen and Russell Tovey are my two big inspirations.

And someone earlier posted about how they like that Anderson Cooper doesn't deny that he's gay? But I'm fairly certain he's never come out in public....

5. blankpaper

Ellen and Dan Savage

6. Meropspusillus

Dumbledore isn't a very inspiring gay. He fell in love with an evil guy. This led to the death of his sister. He lived the rest of his life in celibacy.

Bad news bears there. Bad news bears.

Edit: I'm probably the biggest Debbie Downer alive.

#26 Meropspusillus, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. Just Passing

I never did understand the appeal of Russell Tovey. :confused:

To me, I just found him to be one of the most boring on-screen actors of all-time.

I never ever saw Dumbledore as being gay, even when J.K. Rowling said that she always thought he was. To me, I just assumed he was an asexual person who's best interests were usually to do with Harry and Hogwarts itself.

What I find hilarious is how Dumbledore is based upon Gandalf and assuming Gandalf is straight, then he's been played by Sir Ian Mckellen and then Dumbledore who's been played by two straight actors by Richard Harris and Michael Gambon, who play a character is supposedly gay. Funny really. :grin:

#27 Just Passing, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. Guess! Lol.
    <<<<------Dis Chick!

9. DareToEatAPeach

How dare you insult my love? haha But what I really like and appreciate about Tovey is that he's such a regular guy. When I was coming to terms with my sexuality, I looked up to him because all I want to do in life is be me, a regular guy.

And I do love the irony (is that what you would call that?) of Dumbledore that you pointed out.

10. Kanen

The greatest wizards are gay boys at heart.

As for my heroes...

Sir Ian Mckellen

Mother Monster

Ellen

NPH

Dumbledore

Chris Colfer - seriously, Kurt was the main force in helping me accept myself.

Elton John.

Yeah, I'm mainstream. Deal with it.

11. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Ellen DeGeneres. I adore her so much.
    Freddy Mercury. RIP, love.
    Not sure about RuPaul, but I love her anyway.

#31 Random Dent, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  12. Just Passing

Crap, how could I forget about Freddie Mercury? :frowning2:

Add him and Elton John to my list and I think everyone's pretty much covered for me. I even share the same birthday as Elton John. :grin:

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have to agree with that too. I am really pleased that we have reached a point when people can feel confident to come out and be who they are in their teens, and are more likely to be accepted for doing so. It certainly wasn't like that when I was a teenager.

Of course not everyone can do that even now. If they could there would be no need for forums and communities like this. Different circumstances, different locations etc all bring their own issues.

Overall though I think it would be easier to be a gay teen now than it was in the past. I am proud of all those who are able to do so, and of those in the past who have helped get us to where we are now.

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2011 at 01:48 PM ----------

If I had to choose a famous person it would be Peter Tatchell because of all his work campaigning for LGBT rights. He has devoted his life to improving the lives of other LGBT people in the UK and has helped bring us to where we are today.

14. mrNatural

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    William S. Burroughs an aging beatnik writer, his novels contain a lot of gay content which got them banned back in the 50's. I recommend his books

15. Kanen

How the hell did I forget Dan savage? "It Gets Better" has gotten me through so much.

16. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Rosie O Ellen D and Kim R

17. Marlowe

Alan Turning. This man basically invented the modern computer and personally won WWII for the allies by cracking the German Enigma code. In the words of my physics professor; "Winston Churchill should have personally given him a blow job for his war efforts." Instead the British government chemically castrated him for being homosexual and he commit suicide at the age of 41.

#37 Marlowe, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  18. steel03

Neil Patrick Freaking Harris, Ellen Degeneres, Anderson Cooper, Sir Ian McKellen, Stephen Fry have all been said already.

I will add:
    Jodie Foster
    David Sedaris

19. AlTaboo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My personal favorites have already been said, but just to reiterate: Neil Patrick Harris, Ian McKellan, George Takei (had to post that to correct the spelling: huge trek nerd here), and Albus Dumbledore.:eusa_danc

20. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I saw Neil Patrick Harris on The Daily Show recently. The way he was talking, how he acted- he seemed like he was just being himself, not trying to "act" any straighter or gayer than he is. The fact that he seemed so comfortable with who he is is something I need to learn, so I have admire him for that.