1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working out/Getting toned...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ShebbsIsAwesome, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Tracy Lord

You mean one day a week, right? In my experience, it's fairly standard to work out six days a week and then take one day completely off.

BTW Dustyn, lots of bodybuilders do cardio on the same day they lift because they're doing split routines where they're lifting six days a week. So they have to do cardio on the same day.

Which is why I like the routine I posted. I prefer alternating between lifting and cardio and, also, I never felt like my body got enough rest when I was lifting six days a week.

Some of it's just personal preference, though. I've always enjoyed the powerlifting exercises (squat, dl, etc) more and their routines tend to be more 3 per week anyway. You'll need to do a bunch of different things and find out what turns you on the most. Because the bottom line is that if you don't like what you do at the gym, you're much less likely to go.

2. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OK, cool. I am saying it from experience as well. I have degrees in Sports Medicine and Physical Education. I have over 10 years experience as well. I am not saying you are wrong or anything.

---------- Post added 23rd Jun 2011 at 10:09 AM ----------

That is exactly what I am saying. You can and do cardio and weight lifting on the same day. I am just saying don't work out your biceps on Monday and then again on Tuesday. You need to give your muscles a rest. You only really need to work out one a week if you work that group out well enough.

3. Tracy Lord

>That is exactly what I am saying. You can and do cardio and weight lifting on the same day. I am just saying don't work out your biceps on Monday and then again on Tuesday. You need to give your muscles a rest. You only really need to work out one a week if you work that group out well enough.>

Gotcha; wasn't quite clear. And the last part: totally agree. I grew up playing football and everyone did bodybuilder-type routines, split up all the body parts and do them two times a week. The revelation for me was compound exercises (squats, dl's, etc) and doing them maybe once a week. Do a really intense session of squats and you *can't* do them more than once a week! That's what the powerlifters do. Plus, I am not a gym rat. I like getting in and getting out and doing other things with my time....

4. ShebbsIsAwesome

Machine vs. Freeweights. Which one wins?

5. Tracy Lord

Ah, the classic debate. lol

The answer: depends. Like anything, you want the right tool for the job. And even within freeweights: barbells or dumbells? Anyway, sometimes it's physical limitations. Some people have back issues and therefore can't do full squats, so they may use a hack squat machine. Me, I have a rotator cuff issue, so I don't use barbells for the shoulder press but, rather, dumbells.

In short, though, ask 10 people and you'll get 11 opinions.....

6. frostreaver

I'm a beginner and my trainer says that I should use machines first to get forms down etc before using freeweights. Although certain exercises with easy motions are done with freeweights (curls, fronts/side shoulder raises).

7. Rikudo

Yeah I'd say that machines for a beginner and work your way up.

8. Dr Acula

I've always gone with correct form with free weights is better than starting on resistance machines. Using free weights will use additional muscles to stabilise the movement which won't develop if you start off on resistance machines.

9. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Exactly.

---------- Post added 23rd Jun 2011 at 05:50 PM ----------

Yes.

10. Camman3

Havent read the rest of this thread.. too many posts and too much to read >.<

My opinion (and my cousin's - she is doing her Honours in Sports Science. We have been working on my program for months):

To lose fat, you dont want to be wasting time with Cardio and resistance machines... PLEASE!! That is old school...

For the fat-burning part of your workouts, you need to do short-lasting cardio "blasts". Ever heard of the Tabata Protocol? You choose 8 exercises. You execute an exercise for 20 seconds at MAX pace/intensity (you must feel like you're dying), then rest for 10 seconds (so it is a 30-second cycle) and then execute the other 7 exercises the same. So you do a 4-minute high-intensity workout that boosts your metabolism for DAYS after the workout.

In addition you'll want to watch what you eat. Tabatas are only necessary if you combine it with heavy lifting, which will improve your physique by building muscle. I suggest this combo for max effect for your bf to see. so... 3 tabatas a week. One difficult, one medium, and one light tabata.

You can choose your exercises as you see fit, such as: mountain climbers, skipping rope jumps, knee tucks, push ups, lateral raises (will require a resistance band (=RB)), bicep curls (w/RB), burpees, star jumps, jumping jacks (there is a difference), plank positions and variations, 180 degree turns, squats, rows (w/RB), sprints, plyo skates, crunches, knee tuck to torso twist, death crawls, croc crawls etc...
    Just a dew ideas... make more/ research more for yourself and design tabatas that are more difficult/easier and NEVER do the same tabata over and over again. Try switch it up, even if its just the order you do the exercises.

As for the heavy lifting part, you'll want to include Functional Training techniques and metabolic exercises. YouTube how to use Kettlebells and the TRX. Try get some idea of some of the exercises on those equipment and incorporate them into your workout.

Hope this helps... Its already a lot of info, but its very compact and summarised... Willing to share plenty more info if needs be. Can Skype too if you need help!

11. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interval training is basically what it is. That is the best way to loose weight to be honest.

12. Emberstone

lat work and leg work on machines... the rest should be low weight on freeweights so you can learn form. you do not learn form on the machines because the machines restricht your form. freeweights target stabilizer muscles also, which machines do not, which helps you be more effective in your workouts.

lat and legs is because lat can be challanging to do with freeweights. legs, because it is when you are most prone when hefting weight. You should do freeweight leg excersises, but expecially for starting out, do leg presses and other machine lifts for legs so that you can strengthen them.

13. KaraBulut

Your trainer has the right idea. It doesn't really matter, honestly. As long as you are picking up something heavy and putting it down, you're working out... and any workout is better than couch surfing.

Instead of focusing on details, it's most important to focus on good nutrition, working out and letting your body rest when appropriate.

The important thing is to have a goal, have a plan and to show up.

14. Camman3

But not the cardio-type interval training...

If the ultimate goal is to tone and be more buff etc, then fat loss is isn't a primary concern and can be dealt with through the tabatas or other forms of interval training.

However, you need to have a goal with your heavy lifting.

As Kara Bulut said, doing anything in the first few weeks is better than nothing. The body will adapt to any physical change - it becomes more difficult only after a while, but by then hopefully you will have learned more about your body and exercises and eating correctly for your goals.

15. Gumtree

A few points.

What is your goal? At your current height and weight, you wont want to lose too much weight, but you're also likely in a state where you're not going to SEE much difference from muscle building unless you lose a few pounds.

For your situation, I would be reconmending Deviating High Intensity Training or D HITing. Meaning that you want to be doing exercises that have significant benefits for both cardio and muscular development. A really good technique would simply be, to do lots of push-ups really fast, followed by fast pace sit-ups/crunches, and other full body free-dimensional exercises.

I would avoid resistance training and in-gym workout machines, as speed is going to be your best friend in your situation.

For maximum benefit in your situation, intense cardio will be necessary directly prior to your workout, this may mean 10 minutes running at a pretty high speed. You want your heart rate up and muscle temp high before you even start your D-HIT.

I would end your workout with some moderate cardio, such a a slow pace swim or a moderate jog for 30-40 minutes. This will really reduce the recovery time needed for your muscles and have great weight loss beneifts.

My suggestions have been a bit convoluted and may not make much sense, but there is a really simple way to achieve them. Swimming.

Start at a moderate rate for 20 minutes with 1-2 strokes, then move to 4 strokes for 10-12 minutes each at absolute maximum pace, then finish with 30-40 minutes alternated of 3 moderate paced strokes.

In regards to free-weights as opposed to machines, the answer it individualised.

Free-weights have the potential to be a lot more beneficial, but also pose higher risks. Bad posture, incorrect movement, injury from accidents and unintentionally using the wrong muscle groups make free-weights a method commonly reconmended for those with existing experience at working out.

In short, unless you have a knowledgable spotter or a gym employee willing to watch you, start on machines until you know what you're doing.

#35 Gumtree, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  16. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mix in both cardio and weight training and you should be fine along with a good diet.

17. ShebbsIsAwesome

Okay, so I will diet, do cardio before working out, do some cardio after working out?
    Or I could do cardio one day and then intense working out the next, then cardio again?
    And on a day where I cant/dont want to go to the gym I can swim at the beach/pool?

How would a crunch machine, cardio, lawnmowers, some chest exercise(probably on a machine)(or dumbell benchpress), work? and what would be good to do one a single day? Arent you only supposed to work on one muscle group at a time?

18. Tracy Lord

Dustyn, don't worry so much about getting a perfect routine down at the beginning. The important thing is to start *doing* something (safely, of course). As you go along, you'll learn more, both about routines and about what works best for your body (and your mind: what you enjoy is important, too!).