Outed self at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Wolfy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Wolfy

So, I'm Transgender. and it's time for Graduation. Weeee~
    I was excited for it at first, until I walked into practice and realized there was a "Male" and "Female" line. I thought to my self. "Oh god, fuck this. I'm not walking in Graduation."
    I removed myself from the Gymnasium and went to talk to a teacher that knows about me, about seeing if I can be placed into the male line. We talked, she said we'll talk to one of the teachers in charge of the Ceremony.
    We talk to this teacher, she tells me there's no chance I'll be allowed on the male line since I'm biologically female. So, when I first got out of the Gym and talked to the one teacher, I started crying because you know, it hurts that you're forced into gender roles and that I'm not out.

So, when she told me there was no chance I basically broke down. I want to walk. I don't want to be placed in the female line. I'm not female, I'm male. In the Heart, Soul, and Brain. Not female. So. I'm in the hallway against a wall looking down and depressed. The principle walks over and asks why I'm upset. I walk into his office, and we talk. He told me he'll talk to the Super Intendend. He comes back, and tells me I have to get a letter signed from my mom, and he needs to call her for verbal permission. He also said "Now, this doesn't mean you're allowed to. I have to talk to the school Lawyer."

So. I go home, get the letter signed, go into school the next day and go to the Principles office. He says it's been approved by the Board of Education to make a line switch. So, now I'm at homeroom, we're waiting to get called for practice. They call us down, and we have to walk in the "Male" and "Female" lines to the Gym for practice. Now, I'm nervous as hell about Transphobic remarks, or getting asked if I am, or want to be a guy. It's pretty obvious towards how I dress and my hair. But everyone probably thinks I'm a lesbian, even though I'm a camp gay male.

So, I get told to be in the male line, and right then I get asked like..."Why is SHE in the boys line?" or "She's not a guy." I got upset and just looked at the floor and shrugged it off. Then this one kid kept coming up to me and asking "What, do you want to be a guy?" in front of everyone. and I wanted to say yeah, but I was nervous towards what everyone would say. and it was infront of everyone too. Some people made Transphobic remarks.
    The two people I sit next to you said it would be cool if I was Transgender and if I got an operation to be a guy, and all that.
    The two kids stuck up for me and said that it wasn't my choice to be in this line and that I had to since the girls line was full. Or something. I was glad they they talked for me though.

So...I go up for practice, to get my fake diploma and I'm really nervous but I keep my head held high. and I go back to my seat. Now, the practice is over, and we're sitting at the bleachers for our cap n gowns. I sit next to my best guy friend that knows, and my best girl friend that knows. She tells me a lot of people were going "Ew" and all that. And my guy friend told me only one guy said something. So, I'm a really fragile person and I just instantly get depressed and I lean against my one friend and just close my eyes. I wanted to cry. I didn't though. Then, once you get your cap n gowns you're suppose to go to the other bleachers and sit with the girls, and the guys.
    So, I sit on the guys side, like I was allowed to. I sit next to my guy friend and we're joking about stuff and what not. And the teacher tells me I'm not allowed to sit on the guy side because I'm biologically female. I look at her and say "Well, I'm allowed. It was allowed by the principle." and she said "OH well. It doesn't matter. You have to sit with the girls." being me I stood up and walked out of the room and went straight to the principles office and spoke with him about this, and some kids that came up to me and were being rude.

So, I believe I basically just came out to the entire school. And tomorrow, I'm not going to deny if I get asked, and I'll be truthfully honest. Besides, school ends Tuesday so I think I'm good. And I'll be set for 9th grade going in as my male preferred name and people will use male pronouns, hopefully.

I think...this was a really big step for me. I stood up for what I wanted. And I get to sit with the guys at graduation, where I belong.

2. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish that I were as brave as you are.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really admire you for being able to take a stand and do what you know is right!
    I hope now you can fully be who you really are, no matter where you are! :slight_smile:

4. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you are BRAVE. CONGRATULATIONS MAN!

This remembered me of how i was basically oute'd by someone at school, and in the end i FACED it and went to everyone who heard it and said it "yes, it is right, he wasn't lying and i am who i am." I don't know where i got that courage, but now i know, inside us sometime that hidden courage gets free and then we can face ANYTHING!

5. KnightAssassin

That's great for you , It may be scary but hey atleast you are yourself and you really won't see many of them any more so don't worry about the kids who are rude

6. Sadepeura

Wow, you were so brave! I am very happy for you that your principle was so understanding. Enjoy your graduation!

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What an incredible story, and how brave you were! And... kudos for your principal for being openminded enough and aware enough of transgender issues to make this happen. The small minded teachers who make your life difficult will, perhaps, have a chance to reflect and think and understand eventually, in part thanks to the courage you had in standing up for yourself.

I wish you the best, and please keep us up to date about what happens.

8. Wolfy

Thank you, everyone.

I'll keep you guys up to date with what happens today and tomorrow.

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Wow. This is amazing! I can only admire you for your courage and determination to get what you what and get to where you belong. Really happy that your school was cool about it.

Be proud of yourself because you have achieved something most people don't even dare to imagine.Go and walk with your chin up and with confidence because you have more drive and courage than anyone that even dares to try to humiliate you. I don't mean to sound super cheesy, but you seriously are inspiring.

Good luck with everything and congrats on graduating! :slight_smile:

10. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Wow! I am quite impressed :slight_smile: Congrats on standing up for yourself and graduating! You may have inspired one of those kids right there, but you wouldn't know it. You never know who is what!

11. Wolfy

Haha, thanks guys.

Graduation was great. As soon as I started walking I get hit with nervousness but I kept going. We got to our spot, did what we did, then it was time to get our diplomas. I stepped up to the stand, the principle looked at me and smiled and said my name. There was a loud roar of screams for me. I sat back down, and when it was time to leave, we walked out of the room and started screaming and shouting. My friends came up to me, and congratulated me, and gave me a hug and told me I was brave.
    We all talked and what not and it was great.
    I wore a lavender Collard shirt with a purple tie and dress pants and my cap n gown. It was a great time. I'll keep you guys posted if anything happens tomorrow.

12. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

You're awesome. (*hug*)

Congraduations! (on both coming out and your graduation). It'll be scary, but you'll get through it; seems like you have some pretty great friends.

Looks like I'm a little late, but I'm glad everything went well. :grin:

13. Aeon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    that is so frickin awesome! congrats and major props to you for your bravery!! :slight_smile:

14. sickoflimbo

Good for you! That is very courageous... to say the least. You sound very confident, and to achieve that at your age is very admirable. It is sad that a school has to confer with a lawyer for something like this, however, it is INCREDIBLE that the response was to let you be you. That shows some serious progression in our society, and should make us all feel more confident.

Things are changing around us, and it's pretty incredible. Keep it up man!

15. MissAlexis1986

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I'm a little late too, but congratulations dude!! You give the example as to what courage is that we should all follow.

My hats off to you!

16. Dykezz

You are such a brave soul. Congratulations!!

17. bookworm43

bookworm43 Guest

holy f that's so brave...my 8th grade gradutation's tomorrow, and i know that if i was in that situation, i would probably throw up :slight_smile: way to go

18. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats and way to stand up for yourself and what you believe in.

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only wish that I was a strong as you. Congrats!!

20. Katelynn

Congratulations! I wish I was that courageous!