1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The EC Countdown Begins - Harry Potter 7 Part 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Revan, Jun 18, 2011.

1. kem

kem

Hmm I suppose I'll rent it then, if it's better than the previous ones, and it must be if Radcliffe's in his underwear!

NO ONE'S TAKING HIM FROM ME SO BACK OFF!!

2. Emberstone

*waves wand* PANTILUNICUS POOPICUS!

he wont want to be with someone who soiled his pants... *cackles*

It is a far more loyal adaptation that the first six, which is why I believe, even though I havent seen part 2 yet, that it was a wise and valid decision to split deathly hallows into two films. They really were able to give the characters time to grow more fully, instead of just giving us flashes of events. You really can for once get a sense that we truly are speeding towards the enevitable showdown.

3. Mr.Pushover

Guess what? It was amazing.

4. No One

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!

5. ICTOAUN

great movie. i had never been to a hp premiere and didnt know what to expect. it was awesome

6. steel03

Seriously? Dammit... I really really didn't like it. It completely missed or misread the incredible emotional resonance unique to the end of DH that makes the entire series make sense. There was so much blatantly wrong with this movie, I'm honestly amazed so many people liked it. My friend and I stayed up until 5:00 talking about all the basic problems. Someone behind us in the theatre said, "Well either that was some kind of cruel joke, or..." I won't get into it right now since I'm on my phone, but I will explain more soon.

7. steel03

Okay, let's see. (spoilers, obviously)

-WHERE THE HELL WAS HEDWIG'S THEME? I think I heard it once in the movie, at the very end. Hasn't it opened every other film?
    -The rest of the music was distracting to me. Almost all the fight scenes felt like video montages instead of brawls and it was all just sooooo overly dramatic.
    -And that drama caused problems for me. The whole movie felt self-indulgent and melodramatic. Voldemort's and Bellatrix's deaths, for example. Why the hell would Avada Kedavra make his face explode into confetti?
    -It skated over confusing plot points, like Harry's wand moving by itself, the actual importance of the Deathly Hallows, and Dumbledore's history (I mean why even mention Ariana if you aren't going to explain it?).
    -Goyle's death wasn't even mentioned. This is a character we've had since SS/PS. He is devoured by flames in front of us and we don't even talk about it?
    -FRED. What the fuck? I'm sorry, but what the fuck? Another character we've had since the very beginning of the very first book/movie. We don't see him die, there's one 30-second scene with Harry looking at the Weasleys greaving, and it isn't even specified that it's Fred and not George.
    -On a similar note, where did Percy come from??? He just appeared without any explanation.
    -Neville got robbed of his moment. I mean WHY? Why was that necessary?? It didn't save any time. In fact, it added time.
    -Oh my god and wtf was with Neville and Luna! That's just blatant disregard of the source material. JKR has said over and over and over and over and over that Neville and Luna don't end up together.
    -Apparently Ron and Hermione and Hagrid and Neville and Dean and Seamus and McGonagall and everyone else were totally okay with Harry being dead. Neville's little speech was so trite.
    -Never explained that Harry's sacrifice of himself protects everyone else. This might seem a minor detail, but the parallelism with Lily's sacrifice is *so* vital.
    -Dumbledore... I'm glad they included some lines from the book, but King's Cross was just strange (although the dying baby was completely awesome). They didn't discuss love! The whole freaking overarching theme of the entire series! The POINT we've been waiting for for 10 years of films or 15 years since PS came out!
    -Okay, Harry and Voldemort's final battle. This just doesn't make sense. Voldemort and Harry are not an even match. Voldemort is obviously a far superior wizard. There's no contest. Harry should never have been able to so easily take on such a pissed Voldemort, and Voldemort would never have played with Harry like he did. He thought he had finally killed him and he came back to life.... I mean come on. Like he wouldn't just aim to kill.
    -Apart from that, they obviously thought they were making it more powerful by keeping Harry and Voldemort away from everyone else, but that is exactly not what happened. All that did was make it anticlimactic.
    -Speaking of which, THE FUCKING DARK LORD JUST DIED AND WE ALL JUST SIT AROUND? FOR REAL? THAT'S IT???
    -Breaking the Elder Wand before fixing the Phoenix wand...
    -The epilogue looked awful. Can we please remember that we have achieved Benjamin Button? Aging technology should be more effective than this. The kids didn't look any different.

There were some things I really enjoyed. I loved Neville on the bridge. Thank the lord they put in Molly's famous line (but it was so sudden it felt out of place - still, I clapped with everyone else). Alan Rickman was totally brilliant.
    But overall it was cold and melodramatic and unfaithful and a huge disappointment.

#67 steel03, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Errr yet it is said in the book about Lupin's son. Only silly people will actually find this part a problem. I mean seriously, so what if it wasn't said in Part 1...it was said in the book and that's good enough for me. I agree with Lily casting yes. I also concur with the Dumbledore and Harry talking, that part was unfortunate, but I still thought the whole film was great. But yeah I was a bit frustrated about that specific part. But Snape's memory, especially him going to Godric's Hollow and holding Lily, I bawled my eyes out...

9. Mr.Pushover

Let's not forget that JK Rowling was a co-producer. Even though that doesn't mean she had a direct say, she still HAD a say, and she used it, and she must've liked the spins of the story instead of it being exactly like the book. Sometimes, I don't wanna sit there and know EXACTLY what happens next, after reading the book 3 times, I like the little twists that take place, and I thought Ron was hot as usual.

10. Rikudo

Usually I tend to get bored with the movies but this one was rather enjoyable. Loved the Hogwarts battle scenes.

11. confusedgirl

nothin but dry desert here no beach either
    I saw the midnight showing of Harry potter and it was magnificent and beautuiful at the same time. I'm so glad I went to go see it.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG I know, I was thrilled he finally took his shirt off :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I've seen enough of Harry's pale body, I mean Ron's is pale too and they're both hot to me, but I was like...Ron at least has some meat on him :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: haha meat.

13. Mr.Pushover

^And the fact that he doesn't have the "perfect" body makes him 10x more attractive to me.

14. LockerPanda

I had a week-long Harry Potter movie marathon at my friend's house (with some more mutual frends of ours) followed by seeing the midnight premier of the movie :grin:

It was amazing! ^^; :icon_redf:lol:
    Sleeping over at her place for a week with some good friends of ours, watching each and every movie before seeing the last one in theaters. :icon_bigg

We managed to arrive several hours before the movie even started (there were a little more than a dozen people infront of us in the lineup to get it) so we got some amazing seats! :grin: :thumbsup: We were also among the 1st 150 people to watch the movie so we got to keep these Harry Potter themed 3D glasses. (which is good because I would have kept them anyways instead of returning them like I'm supposed to :wink: )

A whole week with her, with friends concluding the series of movies that had such an impact on my childhood: in one word: Awesome! :slight_smile:

(*hug*) I guess it's true: The books are done, the story has been told, but the legend shall live on forever! :grin:

15. Emberstone

I loved it also. when voldemort started attacking hogwarts, I cried, and didn't stop until the credits rolled like a hour and a half later. I came to the harry potter books in november of 2001, just before the first film (though my mom had the books since a few months after the american edition of book one came out). I didn't cry nearly as much when i finished book seven, because I knew the films were still on going... but to know this was it, the last film, I couldnt help it. everything just brought tears to my eyes.

voldemort attacking hogwarts was like he was attacking apart of myself.

Harry Potter basically helped me escape a deep, suicidal depression, because in reading the first four books (which was all we had back then), the books made my troubles, which were great, seem less painful compaired to the struggles harry was facing. Though Harry Potter was fictional, the books gave me perspective about my life when I needed it most.

You can't really say that about many books, which is a testiment to Jo's imagination and skill as a storyteller.

...now if only twilight will disappear, then literature might turn back towards what jo did, and less about shallow rapefesting.

16. Hemera

I loved the movie, even if there were a lot of differences from the book
    Seriously don't compare movies with books and they are completely fine :slight_smile:
    If you do, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment

17. steel03

Why the hell would I not compare them to the books? They are adaptations of the books. I'm not expecting them to be perfect, but I should at least be able to expect basic consistency. Lord of the Rings is a spectacular adaptation of a series I don't care much about tbh. There are differences from the books, but it's well done. The differences and changes in the Harry Potter movies often involve important plot elements or don't align with rules or patterns already set up in other movies. I loved Harry and Hermione dancing in DH1. I had no problem with Ron and Hermione's kiss being in the Chamber of Secrets. I did not care that Ollivander knew about the Deathly Hallows. But bringing Percy back without explaining it does not make sense, plain and simple. And to completely ignore love?! How clear did JKR have to make it that that's the whole point of the series?! And they didn't even mention it.
    It wasn't the worst movie in the series, but DH1 was so, so good, and it seemed like it was setting DH2 up to be outstanding. But it's not... It's maybe as good as GoF, which is very middle of the pack.

18. Hemera

What I meant is if you are going to severely compare them to the books and expect them to be completely right then don't bother. I mean I compare the subconsciously but I don't do it to the point where I analyze every little bit.I think about what parts can be put in, what they have to break down etc.. if you think about certain ones that way then they did a pretty damn good job on this movie.
    Unlike in the (I think it was the sixth) the attack on the Burrow that never even happened in the book, no hint of it at all and it the movie it came out of the blue... then I was upset.
    Sorry I wasn't as clear as before and hopefully this makes more sense (I haven't slept in over 24 hours)

19. steel03

I'm not "severely" comparing anything. I don't care about most of the stuff they left out, but there were some glaring errors that don't make sense even within the world of the films.

20. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    It was awesome.

Really liked the little twists and surprises they threw in the film.

I do agree with you there, steel03, I do wish they did throw in more of the sentimental aspect of the book. However, the ending seemed mostly like an homage to those of us who grew up with the books, films, and actors.

Overall, it was great and I was very, very pleased.

IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!!!