1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eponine, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breakingboxes

Umm... agreed.

2. starfish

I grew up in North Texas. The Thunderstorms up there are much worse than the ones down here. I've had so many close calls with tornado that I've lost count.

I quit worrying about severe wether. There is nothing I can do about it. So I just lay back and enjoy the show.

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2012 at 09:09 PM ----------

Blast. Long day at work and I just want to unwind and watch the game. Just to find out that it is blacked out. Why because the game is carried on the NBC Sports Network. Which of course is not carried in my cable TV package.

The whole black out thing is last century thinking. The world should be flat. I paid the $160 for the NHL Gamecenter live subscription. Why does it matter where I am located.

3. FJ Cruiser

Yeah, I grew up in northwest Texas, and we're no stranger to severe storms there either, though it's not nearly as bad as what further east gets. It's not a real storm unless there's hurricane force winds and/or golf ball-sized hail haha. The timing of the news and the storm was just eerie.

4. Nodnarb

5. RedState

Well...I do have to say it IS Kentucky.

I've always said I pull for all SEC schools...except Vanderbilt and Kentucky...because they aren't real SEC schools.

Except when Kentucky wins a National Title.

But don't worry Vanderbilt..you'll win a title in something one day...it will probably be in swimming or whatever...but you'll get there.

As for us...well...I lost count of all of Alabama's national football championships after 10..i think we've got 14 or 15 or so now...all in a day's work for us.

All I can say is that everyone hates the one that is always on top...jealously just sucks doesn't it :slight_smile:

SEC! SEC! SEC!

#9565 RedState, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. Eric

I'm actually from further north than Seattle, and I'm a HUGE sports fan. My friends and I give each-other shit about the successes and failures of our teams. My best friend is a Leafs fan, and the next chance I get, I'm going to remind him that his team hasn't won the Cup since before his mother was born, and then he's going to mock me for my absolute devotion to the Blue Jays, a team that hasn't won the World Series since 1993, and haven't actually made the post season since before I was interested in baseball. I'm actually teased about liking baseball in general, because pretty much everyone under 20 seems to think it's boring as hell. I don't really mind, because it's a part of my life, and it's something I care about.

I don't generally have a problem with people who aren't fans of sports poking fun at us... except when it comes from a position of condescension. The fact is, there's a huge subculture of sports fans, whether casual or hardcore. It's easy for people to say "Shut up, nobody cares about it", but lots of people actually do. It's the reason the Montreal Canadiens, Boston Celtics, New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys, and many, many other teams sell out every. single. game. It's the reason college sports are so profitable. The casual fans you describe -- the ones, I assume, who wouldn't walk with an extra spring in their step if their favourite team strings together a few wins -- aren't the ones who fuel all of that. It's the diehards who go to every game, who buy the jerseys, the hats, and who (unfortunately) riot through the streets when things go wrong (or right).

I'm probably falling into a trap by actually participating in an argument about it, and this whole post is probably over-the-top, but it's something I genuinely care about, and I'm sure you'd be defensive if someone took a stab at your interest in psychology. :slight_smile:

7. Nodnarb

The SEC is pretty average as a basketball conference. Probably 4th best overall, certainly not dominant. But you guys just happen to have Calipari, Worldwide Wes, and Phil Knight running an NBA team in your conference. Your Tide did lose to a mid-major in the first round, after all (Go Jays!).

The SEC has clearly been the dominant football conference over the last decade or so, no argument there.

8. radiofire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This forum is kinda neat, I'm going to make an announcement at my university's GSA.

9. RedState

This the last I will say on this:

"The SEC is pretty average as a basketball conference"

I agree that the ACC with NC and Duke are traditionally the better in BB.

But...what conference won the National Title in basketball last night?

Just saying.

Ok..that's it I'm done.

I do admire and appreciate your sports knowledge though...if only we were on the same side....we could rule the galaxy. Come....come to the dark side of the Force :slight_smile:

10. Kidd

Kidd Guest

My bestie and I ran today and it was amazing, and then we ate a super healthy supper and watched the Dance Mom marathon leading to the finale which was just completely outrageous, and then as soon as she leaves to go home and crash I get on Facebook and see my sister totally trashing her for no reason at all.

It's really sad to say, but if it came down to it right now I would pick my bestie over my sister. This feud has gone on for a completely ridiculous amount of time, and it's totally because of my sister, all because of her, for this exact reason. GET OVER IT. That's what I say and she just won't drop it and it's really starting to damage our relationship. All the work and bonding we've done over the last two weeks just totally went out the window and I'm done trying, totally DONE. She's dead to me. It depresses me to no end that my siblings are just so jealous and petty and conniving. No one can ever just let me do my own thing and be happy that I'm succeeding.

[Also:] I don't 'get' sports but I enjoyed this thread very much. Athletes are great for a hot second and then they get used and washed up and end up hosting a late-night show on ESPN2 or cable access that everyone knows about but never watches. Congrats!

(Just my 2-cents.)

11. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I knew how to come out to my grandparents.
    Also, my thumb rly hurts.
    ...and, I should finnish my World lit. class this nxt couple of weeks...
    But, mostly I'm thinking about Friday!

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Robert Griffin III is too cute for his own good <3

Oh and good job Baylor :slight_smile:

-------------------------------
    I am sorry, I did not mean to offend you. I would, however, like to make a distinction between those fans of the SEC, and those (almost) everywhere else: SEC fans appear to have their entire ego invested into their teams, whereas everyone else does not. Their myopia is not, in my mind, an excuse for their arrogance. Trust me, they are different than other fans --- You can care without being an asshole about it. It is those that watch with blatant arrogance in mind that I have issues with.

And I am a fan of sports in general, but when it goes beyond what they were meant for: enjoyment; I get a little annoyed.

#9572 Browncoat, Apr 3, 2012
  13. Nodnarb

The ACC sucks outside of Duke and UNC, and has for several years now. And even Duke lost to a 15 this year. The Big East has been at the top, but with realignment it looks like their run is over.

And just because you have the champ doesn't make you the best. Is the Horizon League a dominant conference just because they got Butler in the championship game two years in a row?:lol:

"I do admire and appreciate your sports knowledge though...if only we were on the same side....we could rule the galaxy. Come....come to the dark side of the Force :slight_smile:"

There are some times I wish I would:wink: I've resigned myself to another .500 season in football this year, and I'm not happy about it. But I've been cursed to perpetually love the underdog. I don't know what I'd do if ISU ever got really good at one of the big 2:lol:

Well said.

I don't care if other people don't like sports. Most of my friends aren't sports fans, actually. But I can't stand when people think its stupid or pointless to care about sports and to love your favorite team. Everybody has something that they really care about, that they love talking about and doing with other people. Just because I don't enjoy what ever your thing might be doesn't mean its pointless or that you shouldn't care about it. It matters to you, and that is all that is important.

Sure, in the end, sports aren't that important. It is just a game. But the incredible happiness and excitement shared among the 53,000 people on the field at Jack Trice stadium after the OSU game last season was indescribable. I've never seen so many huge smiles and tears of joy. That's what its all about.

14. FJ Cruiser

I have already posted too many times on this thread in one day, but one last thought:

I think I'm getting to where I write almost as many Greek letters as Latin ones in the course of a day.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The meeting is going on FOREVER....

It started at 9:30 and it is now going on 1 am.

All I want to do is go to sleep...

#9575 BradThePug, Apr 3, 2012
  16. Gallatin

I can't believe I missed out on the sports debate! Sports are a big part of my life; I'm a huge fan.

17. shy

shy

Hopefully our department's head of studies is gonna help me out with this :***: guy. he really deserves to get kicked out.

18. Aeon Magus

Is thinking everyone must be telepathic to be quoting and making a discussion of another's thoughts. :lol:

19. needshelp

i gotta man, what ya man got to do with me? i gotta man, i'm not trying to hear that see.

20. RedKnight

Wait sport related debate! *goes check* Oh not the real football, don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.