1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong to have a preference?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EndlessMusic, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think there's a difference between having a preference - "I tend to like Asian guys" - and drawing absolute borders. And that seems to be what you did by saying "I would only date Asian guys". It may be that indeed you don't end up dating anybody but Asians. But I think it's best to keep an open mind. Yeah, feel free to focus on the guys you find hot. :slight_smile: But keep an open mind. Whenever somebody comes along, give them a chance and see if you end up clicking with them. If it ends up you don't feel anything for them, that's totally fine - you gave them a go.

Lex

2. Makaio1

Definitely not. I can totally relate to this thread as the guys I've really been attracted to have been Asian and I've thought if its bad that I prefer Asian guys over other races... However, that is not to say that I would ONLY date Asian guys. But like Lex said, if you end up only dating Asian guys, there is totally nothing wrong with that. And I definitely don't think its racist...

Is it racist when White people date white people? Black people only date black people? etc. -- if the reason behind it is a harsh prejudice for a certain race then Yes. But otherwise, NO! You like who you like and noboby can change that!

3. haelmarie

I think it is good to be critical when discussing ones own racial preferences because they are certainly not formed in a vacuum.

For example, I took a subconscious preference test perhaps a year ago and the result was that I "strongly prefer" white people to black people. Now was that a conscious choice of mine? Of course not. But the fact remains that society conditions the individual in certain ways. One of mine happened to be a strong preference towards white people. So if I'm not consciously thinking "white supremacy", it is something that is that the back of the mind.

An important thing to remember is that racial conditioning is not permanent. Instead of saying "I'm not racist, but...", maybe it would be better to consider if one really does have deep-seated feelings on the subject.

To get back to the original post, no, like everyone else I do not think that choosing to date within your race is racist.

4. EndlessMusic

EndlessMusic Guest

Woooow, words can't express how I feel now! Feeling so much better, definately the smile of my day :slight_smile:
    Thanks to everyone who posted me their opinions and advice, I would have quoted every single post but i'm busy studying for my mid year exams (I got bored and ended up here)
    My great thanks, proud to be an Empty Closet Poster! As always I can always find the best advice from the EC community! THANKS EVERYONE!

5. Hexagon

No. It isn't wrong to have a preference. Its fine to say "I'm only sexually attracted to Asian people", but not fine to say "I hate everyone who isn't Asian". We all have our preferences, and its not really very different from only being attracted to one sex.

6. Meropspusillus

This exactly.

I'm also inclined to believe that preference is quite flexible. Two years ago I would have said I was primarily attracted to Asian white people, now I don't really consider race when I think about how attractive people are (though I have noticed that people of African descent tend to be much more attractive than people of other heritages...>_>)...

It's not racist to have a preference, but don't be completely rigid about that preference. That's not racist...but I wouldn't argue that it's a good thing either.

7. Micah667

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I dont see anything wrong with it. .