1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book of Mormon Musical Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emberstone

The creators of south park created their first musical, the Book of Mormon, and they put the soundtrack up on facebook for streaming if you like the show. It actually is a really good soundtrack, and I can see how the reviewers were saying shockingly the show is the sweetest show you will see on broadway this season. it is surprising good, and the soundtrack doesnt seem to offensive.

2. ArcaneVerse

Seriously, they dont have anything better to do? Oh wait they created south park of course they dont. silly me.

3. Emberstone

it actually isent that bad. Hasa Diga Eebowai is the only song I found to be particularly offensive to religious people.

4. ArcaneVerse

Still its kinda like wtf was the point? Apart from associating the Mormon church with possibly the gayest thing possible, aside from maybe bringing Mardi Gras to Salt Lake.

But I guess once they have covered everything possible in their tv show a dozen times they may as well bring it all to theatre?

5. Emberstone

One of the things that comes out of just listening to the soundtrack is that it does take a mocking tone with the more intrusive and zanny aspects of mormonisem (of which there are quite a few), and distills by the end the important of faith as being a chance to make a better world for others.

South park is fast becoming best known for its stirring political and cultural satire, which allows us to view through a humorus lens the lameness of how we view ourselves. they turn it on its heads just enough to make it comical, just to in the end pull us into some greater truth we dont always think about.

---------- Post added 19th May 2011 at 02:34 PM ----------

tell me this honestly doesnt make you smile... it is a catchy number:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmp-xmguqh4[/YOUTUBE]

6. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I want to see this play so badly. Mormonism is ridiculous, and having it made fun of in such a sophisticated way is really brilliant. Hasa Diga Eebowai is the only song I have listened to thus far, but it is really catchy and good. If I am lucky, I will get to go to New York to see the play this summer.

It is up for 14 Tony Awards, the most nominations of any production ever, I believe.

7. ArcaneVerse

Honestly no. Ive listened to half of the soundtrack, its lame. South Park and greater truth? seriously. lolz. How high are you when you watch SP?

8. Emberstone

I dont drink, or use drugs... thank you very much.

not saying all south park episodes are biting, focused satire, but alot of their best episodes are. It actually doesnt take much effort to spot the satire, since when they go into political and culture satire, it is done in a blunt, straight forward way.

You have to be forcing yourself not to see it to not see the satire in episodes like their exploration of the flippant way society views sex addiction among celebrities, the overzealous aspects of the supporters during the 2008 elections (even if that episode went to some weird places), the celebrity worship culture of america (turning it into a nefarious human sacrafice at the expense of celebrities that we seem to build up just to hope that they will fall so we can watch like a train wreck), etc.

they do alot of biting paroody of politics and culture, making fun of the stupidity of it, and Book of Mormon actually does that, in the end making a point about religion not being good or bad, but what you put into it, and what you take away from it.

you have to be willfully blind to say that south park is just 4th graders cussing and talking about sex.

---------- Post added 19th May 2011 at 04:15 PM ----------

oh, and it is not just me:

Pajamas Media » The Daring Satire of South Park

On TV: Social satire keeps 'South Park' fans coming back for a gasp, and a laugh - seattlepi.com

Life Imitates Art: South Park as Political Satire - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

9. ArcaneVerse

You can try to make it into something else if you wish but SP will always be pointless vulgar trash, to each thier own of course, and satire it may be but deep and of holding great truths it is not.

Whether there is really a point to "book of mormon" i dont really know, it certainly wasnt in the first 11 songs, but maybe they turn it around in the last 5? After listening to the song about fucking God in the c*nt etc, its hard to imagine there is anything of worth to gain out of this whole thing. That shit is just pathetic, the idea I have no real issue with go ahead mock religion and mock mormons w.e but whats actually come out of it is just sick, unorginial and not entertaining at all.

10. Zach1992

You know if you actually saw the show or looked into it you would see that it's actually somewhat pro faith in the end. Don't lay down such blanket statements on things you can't even bother to read up on.

and 'Hasa Diga Eebowai' while crude is a very accurate representation of how people watching everyone around them die would react. It's also supposed to be a parody of Hakuna Matata.

#10 Zach1992, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  11. djt820

[​IMG]

12. Shevanel

People should perhaps realize we may have Mormon members who could be offended by something like this. Just saying.

13. Zach1992

Except this show doesn't really berate Mormons. Aside from one song there is really no mocking of of the religion.

14. ArcaneVerse

What part of this is pro faith? seriously and even if there was some semblance of "pro Faith" in this mess, is it really enough to counter the abundance of "anti"? and dont assume you know what i have or havent read or looked into about this play, just because I dont praise this musical doesnt mean im ill informed.

---------- Post added 21st May 2011 at 08:33 AM ----------

lol sure it does, a lot of it is subtle but its there. Also doesnt really matter if its specificly mormon or not, the whole thing is disrespectful of religious beliefs and practices.

15. Zach1992

Actually no it's not

the show ends with the Uganadans making their own religion that they can adapt to their own lives because Mormonism is not quite applicaple to a place where people are you are raping babies, getting AIDS, and dying.

16. ArcaneVerse

Actually yes it is. Did you not hear the parts about Joseph Smith having aids and raping babies\frogs or the song equating being baptized with loosing your virginity? not to mention everything else.

17. djt820

Wow, that sounds pretty funny. I might check it out.

18. Emberstone

way to have no concept of 'context'. The song was not about joseph smith raping babies. The song had joseph smith telling someone who wanted to rape a baby not to, and it was done by the character that was a mormon missionary who technically has not read the book of mormon, and has a well documented tendacy to make things up.

Disgusted by the fact that the villagers spoke of how some tribes raped babies to get rid of aids (which does happen in parts of africa, sadly), he made up off the top of his head a passage that said joseph smith stopped someone from raping babies. The frogs part was the character grasping at straws for a less disgusting and offensive alternative.

If your not going to bother to actually PAY ATTENTION to what is being said in the songs...

This play is about the challanges of faith and religion, but that it should not be written off as unimportant, because sometimes you just need faith in something to give your life meaning, and that is what truly is important. it is repeatedly stated throughout the show, and that is just through the soundtrack.

people are so determined to hate this musical, and yet many mormons themselves are praising it as sweet, and not disrespectful or harmful.

There should be no need to invent things that do not happen to ridicule it.

---------- Post added 20th May 2011 at 08:27 PM ----------

this is not about any reality. this is about your hatred of south park. That is what is coming out from your posts.

if you hate south park so much, then why are you bothering to abuse people for noticing the depth and value south park as a expressive medium has become. It uses dark, and at times, scatalogical humor to make saterical points, and that is a irrefutable fact. you have to force yourself to say it isent true, because its already well known, well documented, and critically acclaimed as a show that tackles social commentary, political commentary, and cultural commentary, expecially on topics most shows are too afraid to even dare to explore.

You are saying alot of things that are contradictions of what this musical actually expresses, and actually does. Your making up fabrications that contradict the play's score and plot. You are taking everything out of context.

19. KnightAssassin

yay lets blow everything out of proportion !!!! either you like it or you don't who gives fuck if someone has a diffrent idea , i mean come on do we REALLY need to learn the harms of trolling on a LGBT site ?

20. ArcaneVerse

It was god who stopped JS from raping a baby in the made up story...
    Joseph Smith American Moses: "Hi my name is Joseph Smith and I am going to fuck this baby" - god "joseph smith dont fuck a baby, ill get rid of your aids if you fuck this frog" (this was also said similarily in "Making things up again") and it continues on, yes maybe he didnt actually fuck the baby in the story but it was implied he would have. What were you saying about context and paying attention?

Its hard to take any of the possible slightly possitive parts of this play seriously when its all followed by more mocking.

Just because a few mormons find it amusing and unoffensive doesnt mean its not.

"There should be no need to invent things that do not happen to ridicule it" Your completely right and I havent needed to.

Firstly I dont believe ive abused anyone in this thread, especially not where its concerning SP. I have just stated my opinions of the show that is all.

But your right I do hate South Park. I havent said south park doesnt do any of those things, have I? All I've said was that I wouldnt associate "greater truths" with SP because you were saying it like its a holy grail for elitement or something which was highly comical. Yes SP "tackles" subjects most shows are too afriaid to explore but its usually only to incessantly mock the shit out of it in a unnecessarily obscene fashion until there is nothing left.

And me hating South Park, isnt why I dont like this play.

In your opinion, I am, I dont see it that way. I'm merely pointing out the fact that this show continuously demeans the mormon religion (which you may not see because of your opinions of mormons and their beliefs.), its hardly original or creative and in some parts beyond vulgar.

And yes I could force myself to see how it could contain a possitive message about faith but it would mean ignoring the majority of the play which would kinda defeat the purpose.

But honestly I should have known better to post in a thread on this forum with a negative view on something mocking religion, especially with you as the original poster.(now that's more like abuse ;]) shouldnt even have bothered with this reply but w.e im half asleep.

#20 ArcaneVerse, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.