1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using Firefox 4?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dan82, May 7, 2011.

1. Dan82

I’m thinking of upgrading but I’d like to know what others who have used like it.

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I haven't used it yet, but I'm guessing its pretty much the same.

3. Cathulu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on what platform you're using. It's not bad on a Windows platform (a little hard to get used to, but not bad), but I have to force quit the freaking program at least twice a night when I'm using my Mac.

4. alan t

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't noticed any difference between 4 and 3, except one - there are just back and forward buttons like in firefox 2, the new button that firefox 3 had that shows the full history list is gone. But you can still get that from the history menu bar.

5. VampConspiracy

After the kinks were worked out of it, Firefox 4 works great on Windows (there is a way to switch back to the classic interface!) and Linux. If you have Windows Vista or 7 and have a graphics card that supports DirectX 10 or above, Firefox 4 supports hardware-accelerated rendering of its interface and web pages, which makes things run a bit more smoothly.

6. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have it, and it's fine for me. The tabs are at the top rather than directly above the page though.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have just upgraded to 4, and I like it so far. You can change where you want the tabs (either above the URL bar, or below it) and it as a couple of other nice features like, being able to group your tabs.

8. You can change whether the tabs are at the top or at the bottom like they normally are. What annoys me though is that when you right click on a link, the open in new tab button is at the top instead of the open in new window button so I keep getting confused. Also the home button is on the far right of the page which is annoying.

9. Bolin

^^^^
    This Times 1,000!

10. Porphyrogenitus

You can move the home button, if you like. Just go to Customise the toolbar and drag it.

11. Tiny Catastrophe

Firefox uses a ton of CPU and has a lot of holes in its security and sucks a lot of bandwidth. I use google chrome. It works a lot better and isn't such a strain on everything

12. kwyjibo

I use firefox 4 beta 9 - I can't be bothered to update, and on my desktop I use 3.something and mainly Chrome

13. daedalus

daedalus Guest

I'm currently using firefox 4. It was a little annoying at first because of all the consolidating they did to make the screen seem bigger. And then there was the accidental new page openings, thinking I was getting new tabs. I got used to it so it's pretty nifty. I find amusing that if you poke the loading url at the bottom on the left with the mouse, it jumps to the right bottom corner and vice versa. So if a page is loading too slow I just keep poking both sides to make it jump.

The only things I don't like is that to go back and forward in larger jumps, you have to either keep hitting the backspace key or right click on the arrow. There used to be little arrows to click on by the main arrow keys. Also I used to be able to hit control E to get back up to the search bar and now it doesn't do anything. I can refresh the page and hit tab if I wanna be lazy about it but I kind of miss that feature.

14. Idonteven

same for me, they swapped them around for some reason and I kept opening new pages when I was trying to open tabs but it doesnt take long to get used to.

15. Stuie

With regards to CPU, I found exactly the opposite in that Chrome was using practically all my CPU and Firefox used much less.

I really like the new tab features though, like locking tabs, protecting tabs and app tabs.

16. Tim

Tim

Chrome uses barely any, if you don't use a lot of extensions.

Every extension you use forces another instance of Google Chrome to open in the background.

I stick with Chrome because Firefox had a crapton of bugs and was making things impossible to do.

17. aidan

I can't press Ctrl + E to quickly jump to the google search bar any more, nor will F6 work to highlight the address bar.

Firefox 4 is forcing me to use my mouse :frowning2:

18. Mogget

Try Ctrl + K. They may just have removed the redundancy of having two shortcuts.

19. sillytea247

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm using it and it's working just fine ever since install. The interface takes a little while to get used to. I kept getting confused where everything was located! xD

20. kwyjibo

I use Firefox 4 and Chrome