1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you become political?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IanGallagher, May 3, 2011.

1. IanGallagher

Before coming out, I have to admit I knew absolutely nothing about LGBT struggles for equality. I knew it came up from time to time. But, I didn't really see it as impacting me. When I came out, my parents expressed their concern that my life would change because of the world we live in. The more I read the more I realized they were right.

Rather than sit back and hide, or go back into the closet, I've decided to stay out and become politically motivated. I was taught better while growing up. Spider-Man didn't run and hide while J. Jonah Jameson labeled him a menace to society. The X-Men didn't stop their pursuit for mutant rights. Superman opened the world to accepting aliens. It's the brave and right thing to do. The more open bisexuals there are, more people will realize we exist.

Luckily a girl I'm taking out this Saturday is cool with it and she's a comic book fan. Comic books have taught us to accept other's differences and to use our differences to help others. Prior to meeting her, I was in love with a guy. The first guy I ever fell for. We eventually went our separate ways, but I still care about him. He has a boyfriend now that he loves a lot. And to me, the sin would be me being able to get married to a girl when some areas still say he can't do the same because he's gay. Being bi, the bridge between the two sides, I know how wrong that is. We're all equal. I want my gay friends, like him, to be able to enjoy life just as much.

Ironically before coming out, I wasn't politically motivated, but after - I finally found my fight. How many others have become politically motivated as a means of standing up for themselves and their place in the world?

#1 IanGallagher, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm not out yet, but I have become more politically interested in things lately. And everytime I see a new candidate, the first thing I want to know about them is where the y stand on gay rights (as well as a few other things, but that's a big one.

And I for one (as a fellow comic-book mega nerd) am thrilled when someone compares us to the X-Men or something. :grin:

3. Holmes

I've always been interested in politics, at least since I was around 9. I had written to elected politicians in my party on the issue before I was properly gay in my own mind, but it was just one of many issues for me. But I have definitely become more active on it since coming out, it is one of the thing I've written most about on my personal blog. I realised I was properly gay on the night Obama was elected, also the night Prop 8 was passed. So that proposal wasn't something I wasn't particularly interested in till I'd heard it had passed, but since I've followed the subsequent appeal trial quite closely.

4. Flyers2011

I've always been pretty interested in politics. . . My mom and dad are big on them. Plus, I'm good at debating.

Gay rights (and other groups' rights) have always been on my mind before I came out to myself.

5. Rikudo

Gotta say if anything it's made me less political but then again I'm disinterested in alot of the lgbt struggles in general.

6. VampConspiracy

I used to be political... when I was 14. When I realized that politics is nothing but a bunch of people bashing each other over the head repeatedly with hammers, I stopped paying too much attention to it.

That was even before I came to terms with my bisexuality.

Now I'm pretty much out to my family, my close friends, and the engineering group. And guess what? I still pay as much attention to politics as I did right before I came out, maybe even slightly less so. To put it semi-bluntly, I became tired of the crap.

7. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I have always been political.

Coming out simply meant I cared about gay rights more.

8. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell no, there is no way I've become more political. Maybe I'm more interested in gays having equal rights, but that by no means makes me care about the rest of the political bullshit. To me, politics is a way for people who aren't satisfied with their lives to claim that they're changing other people's - usually for the worse.

As someone said on my facebook:

Politics in the west - people arguing their party's point of view for the sake to keeping a job i.e. getting funding for re-election campaigns. Politics in the East - a way to make money through corruption; Politics in the Middle East - the way to power over other common people (although this is changing rapidly today) - unless you are at the very top - lots of brown nosing comes with the job!

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I never really cared about LBGT rights.. I don't know, its just so "in your face".

I only get interested in politics where it affects us globally.

10. Aya McCabre

I was always political, and LGBT rights was always one of my pet causes. I'm pretty sure I was the only one who was surprised by me being gay.....

11. PianoHead57

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, inside, I'm very political. Unfortunately, I'm pretty liberal, which, where I live, means I have to keep quiet. I have the distinct "honor" of being in a family which considers Glenn Beck to make "some interesting and valid points". /facepalm. They also love George W. Bush. Godjesus, it sucks.

12. IanGallagher

Actually should have said where LGBT rights are involved. Not really politically involved in anything else. Just fighting for my friends and I to have the same rights and "privileges" my heterosexual friends have. For example, even though I'll probably get married to a girl - if she can't have a child, we'd be blocked from adopting just because I also like guys. It's more about protecting and securing my future and making sure my gay friends can get married if they want to. After all, I can't really complain if I don't do anything to help fix things - so, I am. Plus, I like fighting the "good fights."

13. RedState

I don't get involved in political fights at all...it's simply not worth the blood pressure spike.

I hope it's not lightning outside....

#13 RedState, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  14. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't get involved in politics, either. Although I like to debate with people, I find no sense in inflicting unnecessary stress on myself by getting into political issues. I might have a strong opinion, but I won't bother to fight about it.

#14 ilovedogs9, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  15. Cathulu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I avoid talking politics, particularly with my friends who are in the LGBT community. Why? Because a lot of my views are on the fence, and I lean one side or the other depending on the issue. I don't consider myself liberal or conservative, per se. On gay rights, I lean liberal. On other things, sometimes considerably more volatile, I lean conservative.

I don't talk about it with people because I'm too used to having people jump down my throat for disliking this liberal or that conservative, and I get it from both sides.

...so I've pretty much become less political, considering I'm on a much more heated battlefield, and with a lot of right-leaning views, I just don't have the patience to be preached to about it when I'm out and about. >_o

16. partietraumatic

I'm very interested in politics and generally have very strong views. So i try and avoid discussing them with people I don't know too well, because I know my thoughts can get some people very would up!

Having said that LGBT rights is not something I'm passionate about. That's not to say that I don't believe strongly in our right to equality, just that there are other injustices in the world I find make me much more wound up.

17. RedState

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If you are talking about getting more involved when it comes to LGBT rights then thats a def yes for me.

LGBT rights is something that I'm definitely passionate about. Sometimes to the point of being annoying, but someone has to do it. I'm just starting though, but once I get the hang of balancing things in my life I would like to be more involved in making a difference around where I live.

I think its great that a lot of people now have the option to not care about LGBT rights tho. Before it was either suck it up or fight it. Now you can either suck it up, fight it or not care. Truly speaks a lot to what we have been able to accomplish.