1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

double standard men vs women homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pink4me, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Hot Pink

I agree with Watch. Guys tend to accept lesbians due to their fantasies, not because they actually respect them. Hell, I'm a transsexual and this happens to me. I say that I'm a lesbian to a guy and suddenly I'm the most interesting girl in the world to him. I learned quickly that telling guys that I'm only interested in women does NOT deter them.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It makes you wonder where God is, allowing hatred to fester.

3. partietraumatic

I essentially think female homosexuality is taken less seriously. For example I know straight girls who get drunk and make out in a club. Everyone just laughs and treats it as a joke. However, when two of my straight guy friends did it once everyone's reaction along the lines of 'wow, that's really gay'. So, yes, on the one hand females do seem more able to experiment without being judged, and labelled as gay.

However, i think there is a flip side to this. If a guy comes out to his friends I think there tends to be generally acceptance that he wouldn't be saying this if he wasn't gay. However, I think girls who come out are often taken less seriously- there is alot more of the 'just a phase/ doing it for attention/ just hasn't found the right guy yet' reaction. It seems to me that girls who identify as gay suffer alot more for credibility than guys.

4. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Straight men like seeing hot girls make out. Because more of a good thing is even better!

See Girl on Girl is Hot on Tv Tropes. Gives a pretty good description and examples in the media.

But I know that straight/bi guys only like it when both girls are stereotypically 'girly' or whatever.

This. Though I do know more men who like to watch women kiss. But I know MANY women who, if they see a gay male couple, they can't help but go "Awwwww :3" and think it's adorable. But, girls kissing sells, and so sometimes I think female bisexuality is seen more of a way to get guys to notice you, which irritates me SO MUCH.

5. pink4me

pink4me Guest

Maybe there is no God for that sake! Well, HolliePop unfortunately in the deep south near Georgia very few women are that open minded. Remember the Bible thinks for them not thier brains that presumedly God gave them to think with. the 3: colin meant like three awe's? If so that is totally cute cause I wish I had some girlfriends that thought it was adorable here. Also, your points are all interesting just haven't thought that indepethed about them. By the way, sorry for typos my computer cannot go back for revisions. Hugs and cheer!

6. It's not that Holliepop's points aren't thought out, it honestly depends on where you live. She's in the UK, you're in the deep south of the US. That's a lot different.

It really does depend on your culture as to how bad the double standard is, but honestly I do think it's fairly common in most places.

7. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Like what thedreamwatch said, it depends on the culture. Here in the UK, we're pretty secular so religion doesn't really come into it that much. So if someone here doesn't like homosexuality, it's usually because it's 'gross' or 'girly' or 'unnatural', not because the bible said it's an 'abomination'. However, this is only in regards to male homosexuality.

I believe it's like this. In Western culture, sex sells. Men are usually the target audience for this, and since the majority of men are straight (or maybe bi), they like women.

SO; WOMEN X 2 + SEX = MEN BUYING/WATCHING THINGS = Profit.

I wasn't planning on going in depth. Just my take on it.

Haha, ":3" Is a smiley face. But like ... a cute one rather than a generic one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yes, either my friends say it's cute or they just don't care. But I know where I live (which isn't representative of the whole of the UK), seeing guys kissing is seen as cute or "Awww" worthy. I don't think I've ever heard anyone at my school say it's gross, but that may come down to the fact that one of the most popular guys in my school is gay (and quite camp) so the kids have a different view of it.

8. Enaithor

Well here it's a pretty similar kind of things with girls. But if a girl is only average looking and comes out as a lesbian, then suddenly every girl thinks she's going to rape her.
    It's worse for guys though, because even if he is a stunner, every guy thinks he's going to try to rape him. A lot of girls will find two guys cute, but a fair few will think it's just disgusting.
    The girls tend to be less actively homophobic though, just saying "that's gross" and finishing there, whereas guys will throw loose change and stuff like that.

9. pink4me

pink4me Guest

My thing is that culture is relivtive in the first place. It's a socilly held norm in society that the Abrahamic faths don't view as bein "Nrmal" or Godly eve though the same people do the same if not worse thins. For example, the hypocracy of the double standard is thatadultry is viewed not as bad as homosexuality? I mean you coul be killed in the past f sleeping wth someone you love in complete monogomy but you slee wit multiple partners (e.g. mrmons a.k.a morons) with polygmy aren't viewed as bad?

Well, th other thing is tat sex does sell. I tink in the coming years with the lack of centraized cntrol (e.g. technolog via the net) that entertainment is diversifying to specific pockets of society. Fnny seein how here tht conservatives want smallergovernment but prohibit the sell of sex toys, gambling, civil unions, blue label laws, adultry, etc an want a smaller government. Also, how we mut inwester society must distinguish between female or male characteristics in the first place. For exaple, why shut off yoru left or right hemispheres of your brain? It is cntrary to human existence no to be emotinal, socialy functinal or rational minded in eiter gender. Also, the same with physical related things cooking,cleaning,hygeine, sports, physical labour, etc. Does anybody feel me out there?

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not fair or accurate to say that either gender has it easy. There might be some situations in which girls have it easier than gus, or vice versa, but I've been told "you don't have any problems, you're a girl, coming out would have been easy for you" and that's just bullshit. I still lost friends. I still had homophobia aimed at me. Just because some straight guys think it's hot to see two typically attractive girls together doesn't make it easy for the entire female gender. (And the fact that I've been told "if you were good-looking I might think it's OK" after coming out to someone really says a lot about the whole "objectification is totally acceptance" thing.)

11. pink4me

pink4me Guest

Maybe its cause homosexuality is viewed as beig soft or weak in ester society? I realize that femals have a hard time with this as well just it seems somtimes male haveitharder. Think abou this if you will rght? If yo had two guys who worked incontruction work and two of thm wwere two ga guys. Well, they will be mor than likely scorned caue of it. I thik the problem with men over wmen is that men wor in more or less homogenous working evironments still likeconstrucio, garbage wor, police, fire fighting, militry, etc even though tis i slowly canging. However, women are diversifyin from secretary, nursing, and etc to doctors, lawyers, etc. Does ths make sense?

Gasp, I think that some eople re rpulsed by homosexuals cause of the tendency ofhumans to cluster labels in ter heads such as two gendes ina reatiosip of being amoral or evil. Lookingfurthe though where are hese people in other arenass an such. lso, lesbian don't understand about gay men cause gay menare mre likey to hve aidds/hiv and appear to be more vocal about it in te pat like the eighties (Freddy Mercury) of Queen or the riots in New York of 1969 were mainly viewed as homosexuals = crazy men.

12. zealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As I understand it, a lot of people advocate acceptance for their particular color of normal but not "those people who act strange". Either you accept the fact that our behaviors and orientation are hardwired into our genes or you don't. You have a right to your own opinion, of course, but it seems a little hypocritical to want acceptance for yourself but be unwilling to understand the feelings of others.

---------- Post added 26th Dec 2011 at 09:53 PM ----------

What I see is a bunch of posters being critical of other people,

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is 6+ months old. Posting in it to tell the previous posters they're being critical of others isn't exactly the best way to endear yourself to the community :slight_smile:

14. littlebear133

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's a girl at work that said out right that's ok for her to kiss girls but guys kissing guys isnt (she doesn't know im questioning my sexuality) and it sucks causeshe'd be a person id talk to about guys

15. Aya McCabre

Being conventionally attractive doesn't make it any safer. I've had to leave situations after people found out because I felt that their fantasies put me in danger. There are some people I cannot be around because of the way the objectify people like me. I just don't feel safe. I still get the comments we all get.... the stand-out for me would have to be the drunk guy playing with the machete and going on about how unnatural it is. People react differently but I wouldn't say they react less.

16. seeksanctuary

Uh, have you checked out the teenager girls and younger women involved in "fandom"? Because there are definitely females out there that get hot and bothered seeing two men together. xD

But there is definitely a double standard... though really, I think that is shrinking. I've seen men and women rip on GLBT people pretty equally over the last five years, though ten years ago there was a bigger gap between EWWW LESBIANS and EWW QUEERS (gay men). :/ Meh.

17. crazyhead

Ironically, the reason (I think) women can get away with more gender bending than men is because people are generally sexist against women. Women are allowed to act like men because being a guy is cool. But if men act girly, it considered, well, girly. Being girly is considered a bad thing.

18. Countervail

It means that women are more powerful than men. xD