1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Britain to legalise same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/2011/02/15/britain-to-legalise-same-sex-marriage/44721

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. TyPod

Awesome.

4. Fintan

Conservative Gov't brings in Gay Marriages in UK..... C'mon America... America's Left-Wing is Dragging behind the British Right-Wing =P

5. Ridiculous

If this does go through, I wonder if it would make waves here in New Zealand. We seem to be linked reasonably closely to Britain.

Although more likely it wouldn't even make the news here.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    under david cameron???? I'd be amazed.

7. British Lad

British Lad Guest

Finally something good to come out of this con-lib Goverment

8. nickmc

I'd say it would definitely make news here :slight_smile:
    And the Civil Union Bill was a while ago so it might be time same-sex marriage started to become more of a political issue again... fingers crossed!

9. Possibly Maybe

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the UK.

10. Elven

Really awesome and pretty surprising! :grin:

11. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I think David Cameron is kind of like Stephen Harper in Canada. They're both economists and very strong supporters of economical conservatism. I think when it comes to their views on homosexuality, politically they don't really care. I don't think you'd ever see Cameron or Harper out there campaigning for gay marriage but I don't really think you'd see them out there campaigning against it. I mean, lets be realistic, they're politicians so they have to pander to their crowd come election time but in reality I just think it's not something either is passionate about either way.

I mean, after the 'free' vote on marriage, Harper pretty much dropped the issue. I don't hold it against him for having the vote either because I think at the time a lot of people did feel cheated out by the Liberals who had promised in their platform not to introduce gay marriage. The 'free' vote sort of put the issue to rest.

I think Cameron will be the same way, not really focusing on the gay thing, more on the economy.

12. kwyjibo

True - Britain is often more left than our US equivalents.
    Yay! :icon_bigg

13. Just Adam

Can I just point out this isn't official policy yet , there's no discussions yet and we've still to have the religious hate lot kick up a fuss.

I've no faith in conservatives. If they pull this off tho then they can find a way to lower my taxes.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2011 at 05:20 PM ----------

That ain't hard wh you've US politicians effectively telling voters to shoot the opposition.

14. Emberstone

BUT DIDNT YOU HEAR? THOSE WERE *SURVAYER* MARKS!!!

Yah, the america right wing is batshit insane. there is a push in the arizona to pass a law that includes among it a requirement that prosecutors provide concrete evidence that the gunman knew that pointing a gun at a person and firing a bullet into them could cause death or harm. If they cant provide that evidence, the gunman's charges have to be lowered or dropped completely.

... of course, it should be noted that arizona right-wingism is being shown to be a league of their own in the realms of batshit insanity.

15. Just Adam

Haha surveyor.

I remember when saying you were gonna raise an issue like this could coat you your place in front line politics.

Sadly right now the lib torys are in a state of constant u-turn like mario driving on a banana peel.

The recent sell forests plan has stalled now. Yet they still want it yet know 500,000 people revolt.

16. RaRa

Coolio. :slight_smile:

17. Thing

If this happens I will personally write a letter to David Cameron asking him if a) he has some kind mental illness (a tory introducing gay marriage?!) and b) Thatcher is secretly dead because she would never allow this and all tories are really only her puppets.

18. kwyjibo

I'll sign!
    K

19. Lebowski45

Actually David Cameron, not so long ago, was pretty anti-gay. In 2000 he accused Tony Blair of being "anti-family" and encouraging the "promotion of homosexuality in schools" in response to the then Labour Government's attempts to repeal the disgusting Section 28, which basically banned local authorities from promoting the acceptability of homosexuality. Even when he was elected as an MP for Witney in 2003 he continued to support Section 28.

He claims he has now changed his views, and he (publicly) has. He says he is glad that Section 28 is gone, and he did support the introduction of civil partnerships. Only because the "Heir to Blair" realised that for the Tories to get anywhere near power again he had to de-toxify the brand, and that included getting rid of the staunch homophobia. Put simply his views have changed simply because public opinion has changed. Political opportunism. The climate now allows his Government to bring in gay marriage without too much hassle (I don't believe it'll cause much fuss). I think gay marriage will finally happen within a year or two whether the Tories support it or not (I think they realise they are fighting a losing battle on this one anyway). Cameron clearly still struggles with the issue though:

[youtube]dBlDfp85gP8[/youtube]

That was taken from the recent election campaign. Overall I don't care who brings in gay marriage, whether the Government does it or the courts effectively force its introduction (there's legal battles under way I believe), I just want it to finally happen. Frankly I'm not so concerned about Cameron's views on gay rights, I am however concerned about his utterly destructive and senselss policies that are going to wreak havoc on this country. I hope this despicable phony isn't our Prime Minister for very long. And to be honest, the way its going, I don't think he will be.

20. Fintan

I think you hit the nail on the nose. Both Harper and Cameron are Fiscal Conservatives, not really Social Conservatives. Both won't see Social "Victories" as worth-while achievements. They want lower taxes and stronger economies as their legacy. However, both depended on Fiscal AND Social Conservatives to get elected, so they will probably talk Social issues conservatively but won't act on it unless they have absolutely no choice. Hence the above post.