1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you personally know any masculine gay men?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Macholover, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've known quite a few gay men but none have been overtly masculine... Either feminine, or neither masculine nor feminine.

2. RainbowVampire

My dad :grin: He's very masculine, and some people can't believe he's gay. First glance he's the stereotypical buff redneck man. If you know him he's a fun, caring, gay man. He's even a construction worker! Having a gay dad is awesome, by the way ^_^

3. swimboy1993

swimboy1993 Guest

I feel like the odd one out in this post. Im VERY masculine.
    to give you an example....Im 6'1 and 170 lbs and muscular and like Im pretty manly with thick legs and stuff and hair everywhere men usually have it haha.
    I am also mentally masculine, I work on my car and can do just about anything to it, I go take it 4 wheelin in mud. I also build furniture from scratch. Ive built several tables and stuff. I also landscape a lot, I use chainsaws and stuff haha. Also very athletic, I swim and cycle and sail and do a bunch of sports. So basically, If Im not masculine then what is? haha.

I also know tons of masculine gay guys. lots of guys that are just like me. I live in Seattle so I guess there is a lot of variety. But still many guys like me.

4. sjmontoya13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Try this experiment! Start a thread for this. Include videos of three gay men and three straight men, and have people try to pick out which is which.

5. TheJoker

What does masculine means? Drinking beer and farting all the time? looking like wrestler? Hair everywhere? Having gun collection? Repairing plumps? Straight or gay everybody have some feminen and masculine traits.Nothing to do with which gender you are attracted.

I think people want to believe all gay men are kinda girly..just like all lesbians are manly.I find it amusing that even gays think based on stereotypes.

6. Ianthe

I don't know a lot of gay men IRL. However, many of the gay men that I have met casually, like at a party or whatever, were masculine. Since I only knew they were gay because I was told, whereas I strongly suspect feminine guys without being told, I think the number of masculine gay guys is actually higher than feminine gay guys.

Gender conforming people are harder to spot. Sometimes, I think gender conforming gay people take longer to come out to themselves, too. I know when I was in high school, I repeatedly said things like, "I would go out with a girl," and nobody thought that was queer, including me. I just thought everybody had same-sex attractions, and most people were just repressing them; everybody else thought I was kidding, or just trying to be cool or something. I didn't seem gay, so nobody thought that I was, even when I said things that were blatantly gay.

So, yeah. The masculine guys don't stand out as well, and might take longer to know that they're gay--and they have more to lose by coming out, since they aren't already taking crap for seeming gay. (They also might feel that "gayness" compromises their masculine identity, which would be another reason to be slow coming out, both to themselves and others.)

I also think Lexington is right about people thinking gay guys are feminine just automatically, like they just find something feminine about him if they know he's gay.

Anyway, there are degrees of masculinity and femininity, rather than one being either wholly masculine or wholly feminine. So, you have to say "masculine compared to what?"

If your standard is Arnold Schwarzenegger, most guys are going to seem kind of feminine, even the straight guys.

Very few people--definitely no one I know--is completely to one end or the other of the gender scale on all traits. If you are looking for someone who is not feminine to any degree, in any trait, you will have a very difficult time finding that, even among straight guys.

7. Kimi

I think it is a urban myth that gay mens have better body lol
    No I do not know any :frowning2:

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. 4 seat

Yes. I'm one, I'm dating one and my only gay friend is one. I've met plenty of feminine ones but I don't hang out with them.

No, it's not a myth that there are no masculine gay guys. They're just harder to find cuz everyone notices the lisping, limp-wristed, prancing guy with the highlighted hair carrying a man purse, singing Lady Gaga. No one notices that normal looking guy wearing jeans and a T shirt listening to rock music.

10. Ianthe

:bang:

"Lisping, limp-wristed, prancing?" Was that necessary?

You don't have to like feminine men. You don't have to date them, and you don't have to hang out with them, as you have made clear you don't want to do. But you could at least be civil.

The degree to which a person is masculine or feminine is an inherent part of the personality. This is supposed to be a safe place, where people can come without worrying about being insulted for who they are. You can express a preference for more masculine guys without denigrating feminine guys.

11. TheJoker

i don't think he wanted insult them.Those are some of traits of stereotype gay men.Like dressing way too colorful,high pitched voice,giggling.Still you can't be sure.Some straight guys have feminine traits.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer very feminine men anyway

13. TheJoker

[​IMG]
    :roflmao:

14. pianomike

Yes, my cousin is very masculine. his BF is not though. For the most part i'm masculine but i have my moments :slight_smile: HAHA
    And i could name 3 others that i know who are very very masculine. One of them hates shopping and likes to go hunting. HAHA, i love the gay community!!!!

15. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yes for sure I know an couple. Even me. I not sexually attracted to effeminate gays.

16. handwave5489

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'm pretty masculine and i know a few who are also. sometimes i feel like i don't fit in in the gay community... when i first came out i put on a lot more of an effeminate persona, but i've realized that it's not me. although i do have some pretty gay aspects to myself. i.e. some of my taste in music, television, movies, and gender... :slight_smile:

17. ShebbsIsAwesome

so I'm straight?!
    oh no, my whole world has been turned upside down!!

18. Victoria2995

Mhmm. Theres a football player at my school, who's still mostly in the closet, who is very masculine. He might be feminine underneath, but he definitely covers it well. He's super redneck "I'll shoot your dog" kinda guy. Football player, trains all the time. Just a big blob of masculinity.

19. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but it's true that they're outnumbered by more effeminate ones.

20. Macholover

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Victoria, how do you know that he's gay? Did he tell you?