1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cursing?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lady Gaga, Dec 31, 2010.

?

Cursing..is it bad?

1. Who the hell cares?

84 vote(s)
    86.6%
  2. Yes!

13 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Eccentric

I don't care if other people curse, but I don't. At least, very rarely. It does have the benefit that when I do, it makes a big impact on people.

2. Sakura

I have gotten pretty bad about cussing. :/ My dad even told me once that I knew more cuss words than he did. Lol. I don't see any problem with it really but I try not to cuss around children or people I don't know well.

3. I swear a lot. But not around family, teachers, or people who I know that it bothers. I'm pretty good about having an off switch.

Out of curiosity (not to be offensive) I've always wondered why the "c" word is so awful. I know people that swear like sailors but absolutely cannot stand that word. What about it makes it different?

4. musicgirl112233

It doesn't bother me as long as it's not directed toward someone.

5. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I rarely cuss, my friends know I am mad or something whenever I cuss. They just stare at me if I cuss, they all do thought, and it doesn't bother me at all...

6. starfish

The off switch doesn't always work though.

7. yourillusion

I agree with most that as long as it's not directed at someone, I'll scarcely notice it. Personally, I almost never swear though. I just feel like it isn't really necessary. Also, for someone like myself who almost never does use that language around other people... when I do, it really grabs people's attention! Folks who use it all the time, it's like 'the boy who cried wolf'. I grew up hearing, "Profanity and vulgarity prove their are deficiencies in your vocabulary".

8. RaRa

What the fuck is this shit.

I think that cussing is fucking a ok and bitches need to stop fucking hatin'.

I picked the first option in the poll by the way. :grin:

9. maverick

I like cunt as a word, and have used it several times in my writing (usually out of the mouth of a misogynist, though).

I don't understand why people get upset about "cunt". Why is it any different than "bitch" or "fuck" or any other swear?

I know some people are offended by the word "bitch" too (for feminist reasons), but I have always used it heavily and don't really see it that way.

"She's acting like such a bitch." "Stop bitching." "Why are you so bitchy today?" It's a really versatile curse word that means almost the exact same thing as "cunt", yet "cunt" is the most taboo curse word in the English language, while "bitch" has tons of colloquial uses.

I don't get why people get all shocked and shaken. It's just a word.

10. stad90

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll usually restrict it to something bad (to keep its emphasis), but I'll be the first to admit that I'll use it when I'm joking around with my friends.

11. paperheart

I don't curse a lot, only when I joke around with my friends.

12. Totoro

I don't know, sometimes i kind of cringe when I hear people swear x3
    But I think cursing should only be used --- not in public or anything... it just seems rude and not well-mannered :3 But if it's with someone you're comfortable with, go ahead :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. secretstache09

I cuss around friends/cousins. I'm more of a sailor mouth typing than saying actually. It's easy to type "yes I'd suck your dick" than it is to actually say it. :slight_smile:

14. Hoppip

For me it's a register/style thing. In French, I address my professor with vous and my friends with tu. In Korean, formal verbs end in –니다, polite informal in –요, etc.

As for me, I generally don't curse in messages or in writing. I curse in chats, though, and I curse in person. I prefer the well-placed "f-bomb" to the shitzkrieg, though.

ㅅ.ㅅ

15. Markio

I really like saying "buttload," like it's a form of measurement. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think using swear words around friends is alright, but in a public setting it can easily send the message that it's okay to ridicule the groups that the words refer to. I just prefer to not use words like "retard," "bitch," and "faggot" because of the impact they can have. If a friend uses one of those around me and we're not in public, I usually don't mind because in that context I know what they mean and no one is around to get the wrong impression.

I was raised Catholic, and the one thing I never feel comfortable saying is G-- d---.

16. Ichi42go

I have a phobia of cursing. NO CLUE WHY... I have never said a curse word in my life until I came out of the closet to a girl who was like "get over it" and I lost it. Before that, and since then, I have never said a curse word, and it bugs me because I can't. I don't even think its bad! Just can't do it. I hyperventilated the last time I almost slipped. I have strange quarks...... I don't care about hearing them, just can't say 'em.

17. Shevanel

I curse. A lot. xD

Videogames make me curse a lot.

Obviously certain things shouldn't be said in front of the elderly and children, and other people. Especially not directed at other people. (Unless they deserve it of course, like cunt drivers.)

But yeah, I curse a lot during videogames. To the point where I make an infinite number of cursewordcombos. Like "Mothercunt". xD

But yeah. I think it's just common sense when to curse and when not to.

18. straal1972

For the longest time I haven't sworn in the house around my wife and kids (actually never) I don't like it when my wife swears or the kids.

But I think that is a result of the unconsious suppresion of my gayety. When I'm with my friends, I open up more and swear considerable and enjoy it. I've started to swear a bit more around the house, but its awkward and not used appropriately at all. Oh well.

19. djvbb12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    God Damn It Mother Fucker Do I Sure Love Cursing!

20. steradian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm fine with it; free speech blah blah blah...

Though I think over use diminishes impact and makes them less powerful as a form of what is meant to be potent expression.