1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell," DREAM Act, Head to Senate for Votes This Weekend

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Dec 17, 2010.

1. midwestblues

This. Then again, it's so much easier to criticize people who were born in a shithole and now work fourteen hours a day for a fraction of the minimum wage than to actually hold a country accountable for its own economy.

#21 midwestblues, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

That is the best way I've ever heard it being put. :eusa_clap

I love how everyone who is against immigration completely avoided my post. :|

3. RedState

Well Steve, a few different ways to look at this:

I wouldn't say the people who are against the DREAM Act are against immigration, but rather are against illegal immigration (regardless where they come from)

While it is certainly a passionate point to make on the stump, the number of illegals has grown so large now that it would be impossible to round every one of them up and ship them back to their country of origin. So, at this point, the only option is for the Government to use their limited resources in this department to enforce and deport when they can.

Enforcement along our borders is also an important factor. When people talk about this issue they naturally think of our southern border (which, with the full fledged drug war going on in Mexico right now, many US border towns are having major problems) but I often think that the northern border is overlooked. Parts of the US/Canada border are so isolated that someone from another part of the world, who didn't have the best of intentions for the US way of life, could slip through with ease.

But that does not really address the broader problem. I think the most practical thing at this point if for the US to revisit their Visa protocol. A good portion of illegal alien work is seasonal and Congress has looked into this, but no real action has been taken yet.

Immigrants have certainly played a large part in the shaping of this country. Were 100% of them here completely legally? I don't know, but I would venture to say that just about most of them were. I don't know the exact number of people that came through the process at Ellis Island, but it was a ton.

There is nothing wrong with someone wanting to seek a better way of life. That is human nature. All the Government is asking is that they follow the law in doing so.

4. HackmanWIU

Btw the Bamaboy, I'm awaiting your unbridled surprise and show of support now that DADT has passed cloture and will be repeal. 63-33 vote, now it will be voted upon with a 51 majority needed, finally US doesn't have to be a punch line on this issue anymore.

5. RedState

I am quite surprised to be honest.

As clarification, I never said I was against DADT. It's just not a priority issue for me and indifferent to it. But good for the people that consider this their cause.

6. crimsonarcher

7. lostinthought9

This.

(Although I'm a bit late in replying :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)