League of Legends

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gaetan, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Gaetan

Filip's tips are pretty good to start out with. I would add just a few things:

- Health Potions
    These are pretty important early game, especially when playing against human players. The slots of your inventory can be used with 1-6 on the keyboard. Drinking two health potions at once does not net you double health--it just wastes the first one.

- Map Awareness
    It's not terribly important against bots, but vitally important against humans. You should spend as much time watching your own character as you do watching the rest of the map. Keep your eyes glued to the mini-map. Be aware of how many enemies you can see. If you cant' see a lot of them...be wary and ready to run to your tower for safety.

2. VampConspiracy

I suck at the game. Hopefully these tips will help, along with the sessions with my friends.

3. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    A tip for the new guys , while in the phase lane instead of wacking all the creeps you see, just run around until one creep has low enought life for you to last hit it. That way you will earn alot of gold instead of having your creeps pull of the last hit.

4. Alex

Reading a few of the tips posted, and sorry to say, but some of them are just wrong :grin:

Here's some of my own:

If the enemy team has a jungler OR any enemy is missing from their lane, do not push yours unless you warded the brush.

Never pick the summoner spell heal unless it's part of your ingenious strategy to get first blood, it's looked down upon and honestly, seen as quite nooby.

Only last-hit minions, never dps them from full to dead. This pushes your lane which is bad since you are now in danger of getting ganked. Last-hitting 10 minions is equal to getting a champion kill.

You kill towers when you have killed the enemy champions in your lane, it's too unsafe otherwise.

Recall if you're low on health, it's not worth dying otherwise.

Buy wards and place them in good positions, 70 or so gold might seem like a lot, but when they save you from getting ganked 5 times you'll find it worth it.

Use builds for your chosen champion from www.mobafire.com the reccommended items are generally not the most effective build.

Always start with Doran's items, the health is too valuable to miss out on.

Rally and revive are useless, heal has it's purposes. Cleanse, fortify and clairvoyance are generally used in higher ranked games. Don't take clarity if you can live without. Take fortify and clairvoyance on support champions. (eg. Janna, Sona etc.) Smite is obviously only for jungling.

Don't buy runes until you can get t3 ones (level 20) lower level ones are not worth it.

Only play ranked games if you can actually play.

Never leave before a game ends, never feed intentionally, obvious stuff like that.

The purpose of the laning phase is to farm minions, level up and if possible, kill the enemy champions and kill the tower. If the opportunity arrives, gank the mid lane or side lanes.

#64 Alex, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  5. Steve

And I have been having a heck lot of fun playing Nasus!

Who let the dogs out yeah !

#65 Steve, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, he asked for beginner's tips. I just told stuff that worked for me. Had I tried doing anything needing more finesse than the above, I would have stared at a respawn screen 90% of the time (instead of merely 75% :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
    Yeah, heal is nooby, but before you have any reflexes or map insight, you're allowed to be nooby :icon_wink

Some interesting tips, though. Contrary to my own playstyle, but I'll keep them in mind myself. Especially the one about brushes needing to get warded (my standard method right now is just to barge through them xD)

this is my noobishness speaking but... what do you mean by that?

7. Steve

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, that's a sound strategy... but how does this lead to pushing your lane (or what is meant by "pushing your lane" anyway?) and getting you ganked?

9. Steve

Okay, when you only last hit , either the lane stays in the middle or they push to your turret.

If you just go around wacking creeps until they die eventually you will get to their turret.
    Over there you are in an optimal range for tower hits and ganks from mid or other lane.

10. Alex

Pushing the lane means killing the creep fast, so yours can tank the tower while you kill it. You do this in during the laning phase if the enemy had to recall or they're dead.

Ideally you want to keep the lane 1/3 distance away from the middle where they meat, towards your own tower. As in about level with the brush in the river at bottom lane.

Try not to let them push all the way to your tower, unless you're going to die of course. If your tower is hitting enemy creep, you can't really last-hit them.

If you have a good duo in the lane and the enemy does not, you can deny them experience, this means you walk behind the enemy creep and just let your own creep kill theirs. This is of course quite dangerous, so ward if you want to do it. It totally screws their team over though.

Also never go glass-cannon, always build defense items, this on casters is usually Rod of Ages unless Archangels staff is absolutely needed for man. And then a Banshees Veil.

My standard build for casters is: Doran's Ring, Archangels Staff, Rabadon's Deathcap, Banshees Veil, Zhonya's Hourglass. This gives a good balance of health, magic res and armor. Switch items out to counter the enemy!

#70 Alex, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, interesting. I push my lane anytime I can, really. I usually try to kill all the creeps as fast as possible and ignore the champions as much as possible.
    Killing champions doesn't win me games, so I go straight for the nexus :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(do bear in mind that I'm a humble level 7 and so are my opponents. I'm guessing that among the lofty heights of level 30 it gets played differently)

This might explain all the verbal abuse I get from some other players, though xD

12. Alex

Bear in mind that you can carry a whole team in this game if you're good. It's not like an FPS.

Pushing towers does directly threaten the enemy, and makes them able to farm less. But with every champion kill you get gold, = more items = more enemies dead in future team fights. Always go for the long-term safe win.

13. Gaetan

I've tried the last hitting only strategy, but it's honestly never been to my liking. My main strategy, especially when mid, is to kill their minions fast, leaving as many of mine alive as possible.

Two things happen as a result: they back off early, potentially costing them experience. Or, they stay half a second too long so all of my mage minions get off some good hits on them. At the same time, while all this is happening, I incessantly poke them.

My primary goal is to send them back. While killing them is ideal, I rarely go for the kill unless they're just not going back and are at low health. Sending them back nets you essentially the same level advantage as killing them does.

Finally, yes, I do try to push their tower while they're still there. Poke the tower from the opposite side of the tower from where their minions are. Keep attacking until the enemy champion finally decides they need to deal with you. Back away from the tower, and they will have to come to the front of their creeps, giving you a free potshot at them as you leave tower range.

The only danger with this strategy is ganks. Keeping track of the mini map, and maybe wards in the bushes, and having six possible exits out of mid makes it usually easy to escape.

14. Thatsit

I've been playing this game with my apartment-mates for the past few months now. It's a lot of fun. I don't like playing alone though. I'm also not that great lol. I started out with Ryze and got pretty good with him, went to Tristana, played some Annie, but I like Tristana the most. PM me if you want my name :slight_smile:

15. Steve

Just played a game as nasus, we were losing reall bad, tey had 15 kills over us and like destroyed all our turrets. it was one of those games where most teams would surrender.

Then we go do baron, and in 1.3 minute, push their mid turrerts, inheibtor , 2 guard turrets and nexus. NASUS muhaha, yeah i sucked that game.

16. ShebbsIsAwesome

I haven't played LoL for a few weeks now, I will try and get the hang of it again with TF though...

17. Thatsit

I think Sion is my new favorite. I'd say I'm pretty good with him.

18. VampConspiracy

I've used Tristana way too much...

19. Thatsit

Haha, she's pretty fun, I've been playing Sion way too much since my last post :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Steve

I used to play Sion, but now i have moved onto Nasus, Nunu and Ashe ( even though his name does not start with a "N"

i have bought viegar and kassadin however i do not seem to be good with casters.