1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covering Scars/Cuts

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Smiley1123

Hi guys,

I've been feeling really bad recently and have turned to cutting...I know horrible idea! Anyway, what are some of the tactics that you use/used to cover up the evidence? I have some foundation but I have just been wearing long sleeve shirts. Its getting a bit warm to keep wearing long sleeved shirts (i know weird october -> novermber = colder?! i dont get it...:icon_sad:slight_smile: Anyone have other tips? Please help!

Thank you!

2. x2x2x2x2y2

In all honesty, I don't think you should be asking for advice about how to cover up the cuts(or atleast that should be a secondary question), but instead asking for advice for whatever lead you to cutting.

That said, why are you cutting and are you still cutting??

3. Smiley1123

Thanks for the reply.

I have no one to talk to and my mom thinks that whenever I talk about my feelings that its all a big joke. I lost all my friends (they all ditched me and they now just ignore me when I try to talk to them) I no longer want to do any of the things that I used to want to do which makes it hard to make new friends...and on top of all that I still have schoolwork to do. At school I do okay...but by my schools standards okayish is not very good...Most people in my grade get B's at a bare minimum, anything below a B is HORRIBLE. I get a few B's but mostly C's. And because of that I constantly have to have meetings with teachers.

My day is getting up, getting ready for school, going to school, coming home from school, doing homework, eating diner and going to sleep. I have absolutely no time for myself (thank god for weekends, right?)

I just feel so horribly stressed and on top that I would really, really like to find a partner but I just don't feel like that I have any time to. By the time I get home from school I'm all ready to go to sleep.

So to put it simply: I'm VERY stressed!

I currently am cutting, i know its horrible and I really should stop but I have no other place to release all my feelings (besides EC and I don't really have time to come on here all that often, the computer is really distracting when im trying to do work) and being able for one maybe two seconds to focus on something else (the physical pain and seeing the blood) its just a release. Also, after i cut i feel a little bit better and it helps me sleep...i don't know if thats just all in my head but it feels good, even know i do know that it is not good for me in the long run...

#3 Smiley1123, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. x2x2x2x2y2

How did you have time to do things before if you don't have the time to do things now??

You can try talking to people you've rarely or never talked to at school and try making friends with them. You don't have to be all that close, but it would def me a good start. I know it's not fun, but it's better than being alone.

Have you ever been to a LGBT club?? You can try going there;they might meet on the weekends too. Or check if your school has a GSA.

For the cutting, try drawing or listening to music or something else you know you enjoy. Try to find something that releases your stress and that is fun. Hell, if it helps, punch your pillow a few times in the meantime. It's a lot better than cutting and it gets out your stress.

(*hug*) (*hug*)

5. Miles D

I would wear those terry cloth wristbands... like with band names on them and stuff.
    [also, cutting = BAD. It doesn't help, truly it doesn't. Try... masturbating instead?? :lol: ]

-Miles

6. peaceandlies

I'm an ex-cutter. I havent hurt myself in almost two years though, and I promise you, IT DOES GET BETTER. I swear.

I'm currently trying to think back to what made me stop. I know what made me start; internalised homophobia. And I think what made me stop was accepting myself as gay. I don't know what your troubles are, but you really need to find the root of the problem, it helps a lot.

First of all, find the cause.
    Second, avoid your triggers
    Third, live your life
    Fourth, live through your triggers without cutting

Make sure to avoid your triggers for a long time, three months at least. Once you stop, its a lot harder to start. You'll find, tbh, that the cutting is really the only thing that keeps you in depression once you figure everything else out. Once you stop, you'll be able to get friends, smile and mean it, get a girlfriend and be happy.

Alternatively, you could try therapy, but for me, that almost led to suicide, so it wasnt the best idea.

And yes, I understand that you didn't ask advice on how to stop, but unless you try to stop, hiding them will only make things worse.

Unfortunately, my damn scars are too deep to heal, but thankfully I can hide them all with a watch which never, ever comes off. If that doesnt work, wrist bands are your best bet. Long sleeves suck, and people get suspicious.

Good Luck with stopping

7. jessie

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Smiley...it hurts my heart to read your words because I can feel your pain. At your age I struggled with the same emotions and was a cutter myself. I cut from ages 15 - 28. I cut because the physical pain was so much easier to deal with than the emotional pain.

At 28 I had an "aha" moment. I was so tired of being depressed, tired of failure, tired of no one loving me. I was so lonely and I wanted someone to love me best. It was then that I realized that I am the only person who can love me best, and until I could do that then I was going to continue to suffer.

I started to do things for myself instead of always trying to please others. There's a scientist called Abraham Maslow and he said that we need to satisfy basic life needs first like food, water, sleep; then we can move higher. When we satisfy our need for love an belonging then we can really begin to self-actualize or reach our highest capabilities. I think I remember him because i'm doing it...and you can too!

Take care of yourself...only you can do that, the answers are all within you - you just need help finding them and you need help to figure it all out. Speak what you really feel and free yourself to move to a higher level. I know you must feel trapped at 15 and under parental control, I did. You're life will really begin at 18, just think of your future and your possibilities. Life offers incredible diversity and you will shine! You will grow and change and become a woman who will accomplish wonderful things :slight_smile:

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I don't feel cutting a good thing at all, I'm sure I want to give you advice on how cover your tracks. I would say make sure you disinfect them.

You need to find some other out let for dealing with your pain. A friend of mine used to be a cutter, her counselor recommended taking a rubber band and putting in around her wrist. when she got the urge to cut she told her to pull the rubber band and let it flick her wrist.

9. Pokerface

yeah, first of all quit cutting.

then. wear wristbands, or those stupid silly bandz (they sure help)... don't wear things that are too big, people will know you're trying to hide something. it's better if you wear a lot of little, unsuspicious bracelets.

but most importantly, fix your problems. stop having reasons to cut yourself. stop cutting yourself and use MEDERMA to erase scars and marks (of all gels that's the one that actually worked on me)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

10. Smiley1123

Thank you all for your replies. While I am still cutting every once in a while, I am doing my best to stop completely. With all of your advice I am even one step closer. Unfortunately, one of my other coping mechanisms is binge eating...No exactly the best mechanism, but it is better than cutting right? I am joining some new activities to try to each out to more people, but it is not really working yet...hopefully things will work out okay and I will stop even needing coping mechanisms. Thank you all again for your support :slight_smile:

11. x2x2x2x2y2

Happy to hear from you again. Keep trying and eventually things'll get better. :slight_smile:

12. peaceandlies

Well, I really hope you manage to stop. It sounds like youre doing better :grin: To try and not put on weight while you binge eat (and yes, its much better than cutting) try chewing gum and/or eating low calorie ice lollies

13. AlyssWonderland

I'm glad that you're doing good stopping so far! For now though, just cover them up with of course long sleeves when you can and when you cant, a bunch of bracelets like silly bands, wristbands like at Hot Topic, or alot of jelly bracelets from Walmart (like I did! :grin:) or something like that. With a ton of bracelets, its really hard to notice, and even if one shows through, it'll blend in because there's so much color there. Good luck stopping forever! I know its hard but you'll get there, I promise!