1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Witness: Woman screamed about God while destroying art

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Shevanel

"Where are the keys, I lost my phone"

2. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Don't forget the RAH RAH AH AH AH GAGA OOH LA LA

#22 Cynic, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  3. djt820

I've been on EC for quite a while and this post wins the award of "Fuck, I want to destory shit across the room, I'm so pissed". Now, I'm gonna ignore the fact that Lady Gaga and Harry Potter is aparrently art. I'm even gonna accept these facts for my reply. But how the shit can THEY be art but Twilight and Justin Bieber cant?! They're both are popular, mainstream acts along with Harry Potter and Lady Gaga. What if you offend someone who finds something deep and artsy in either Twilight or Bieber?
    Here, lemme state an example:

I find Justin Bieber to be artistically unique because the pop music portrayed by a 16 year old boy depicts a rather stunning image along with a live show of dancing and singing that gets a crowd dancing. This is art because it is an image drawn for a crowd of millions using state of the art stage effects and the world's best dancers and producers.

Now, I don't believe this in the slightest. I think both Lady Gaga AND Bieber are jackoff material for simpletons that enjoy mainstream 4/4 pop music written by producers that repeats itself with simple mainstream lyrics every new pop star but to each his own. BUT for you to say that Lady Gaga and Harry Potter are art while other forms of the same medium aren't is EXTREMELY arrogant and stupid.

Moral of this story: Art is subjective.

4. Rikudo

Bingo

Whether something is art or not that really is an individual preference.

Some on here love Gaga but to me her music is like nails being dragged along a chalk board. But hey once again that's my own opinion and people have a freedom to pick that.

5. Beachboi92

i thought i had cleared up this while business of art is subjective and regardless of wether you like it all that matters is that in a civilized society people have rights and ways to deal with stuff they don't like. Breaking the law is breaking the law, freedom of speech/expression is freedom of speech/expression and i believe taking away those rights or limiting them would do more harm than good.

6. Blondie

Blondie Guest

Maybe we should start doing what they did in THX-1138

7. Emberstone

enjoyment of art i subjective... art on the other hand isent. it is a misconception that art is in the eye of the beholder.

if something expresses something deeper, through layer meanings, and provokes thought, that is something that is artistic.

if something just exists, doesnt express anything, and dosent get you to think, then it doesnt have artistic merit.

If you have to try hard to make something you see, read, or hear to be thought provoking, it isnt very artistic.

gaga/beiber is to show a contrast. Not all lady gaga songs exist as art, but if you pay attention, many hold multiple meanings, and are filled with allusions, which is a tool of a artist. Beiber on the other hand is selling a brand and a image, but nothing deep, truly meaning, or layered.

8. djt820

Art is more than English 101. You don't have any right to claim what art really is but it IS subjective whether you like it or not. ANYTHING can be artistic to a human being. We're not gonna let Emberstone brand what is art and what isn't just because you don't like it. If people find Twilight to be art, then it's art to them and for them to enjoy as art. I'll give you a scenario: An instrumental song. Are you gonna tell me that's not art because IT DOESN'T PROVOKE A MESSAGE IN A POETIC FASHION?! You're really just confusing poetry with art. They're two different things and even if that, poetry is subjective too.
    So again, the moral of the story is: Art is subjective (Yes, even Twilight can be art, deal with it)

9. x2x2x2x2y2

^ I love you for this. lol

I like to think that there are different kinds of art. Some are deeper than others, but none the less, it's all art.

10. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally prefer not to use the words "Twilight" and "art" in the same breath, but if someone else does, be my guest. Different tastes for different people. Not worth destroying anything over in a tirade.

11. djt820

No one's saying that. I'm purely making an example. Doesn't mean I think Twilight is art. Or at least art that I personally enjoy.

12. Elven

Hmmm for my input "art" can be seen as anything that has been created/changed/moved with thoughtful creativity, something significant, beautiful or otherwise thought provoking. Take it as you like, this could mean that that everything from the masterful painting of a skilled artist to something as simple as putting a log on a table could be considered art depending on he/she who views it, even something natural or inhuman like the giants causeway or a termite mound can be art. The usage and depth of the word varies, it's up to you but I would say that all things expressive and pretty much everything that a human can relate to is art to some degree.

Even the picture that the woman smashed up because she didn't like it, which is just immature and a sign of malevolence anyway, and books like twilight, and songs by Lady Gaga are art. Ugh I said art too many times....