1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NaNoWriMo 2010

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Maddy, Oct 3, 2010.

1. AlyssWonderland

Exactly hahah! Three of my friends are at the rally today. My friend is holding up a sign shaped like NH that says "Live free or respectfully disagree, New Hampshire for sanity". How win is that? :grin:

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Less than half an hour until it kicks off in my neck of the woods and I'm so excited! Though I do plan to wait until I've had a full night's sleep instead of just starting on the stroke of midnight. Maybe I'll write my first sentence just after midnight, then the rest in the morning. Aiming for 2500 words a day for the first couple of days so as to give myself a good buffer.

3. Emberstone

since I am handwriting, I am actually going to aim to do a chapter every 1.5-2 days until I hit 50k words. of course my wordcount is based on transcribed chapters, which often expand as I transcribe them.

4. MusicIsLife

2.5 hours till it starts here. I have to work at 9AM, but I'm gonna try to get down 1000 words before I hit the sack.

5. Emberstone

I went trick or treating with my neice, so I am exhausted.

will write tommarow.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    2577 words today, might write more later on but might leave it for tomorrow.

7. AlyssWonderland

It started for me an hour ago. I have about 500 words done :slight_smile: Yay!

8. Smile

I think I have about 1,500 words but it is handwritten and I am too busy to transcript it.

I am quite surprised at how much I like what I have written.

I wish good luck to others!

9. Emberstone

HAPPY NANO WEBSITE LAG-O-WEEN!!!

*pelts everyone with bandwidth, and site crashes*

ahhh... nano tradition, you never fail me.

(oh... and just work up. going to take my notebook to classes, but likely wont be able to write until after my writing class.

10. Emberstone

the site is down, which is also a big nano tradition. I have already hand written 6 pages in my journal, which is about six-seven pages transcribed *which is what I am currently doing right now, as I plan to do it multiple times throughout each day to break up the task into more managable efforts*. thought I would share my first page or so.

Chapter One
    Apparitions
    The stifling heat of the Sun was beating own upon the scorched, dry landscape. The grass was already dying; its blades had long sense become brown, and brittle. Even the normally stalwart trees were fighting against the fierce onslaught of the burning summer that had settled in around them; their leaves were turned up to the heavens like thousands of hands raised, calling out desperately for rain to relieve them of their suffering. Most of the usual inhabitants of the forest had long since run for greener pastures, except for the most hardy and stubborn amongst them, though they too had found cooler shelter than under the hot, leafy canopies. Only one, living, breathing creature could be seen among the sun-parched landscape.
    He sat, his back against the trunk of a study tree, his black hair hiding his face as if someone had pulled forth a curtain. He was dozing, exhausted from both the intense head of the late June sun, and the constant effort to keep on the move. He clutched a silvery-grey pack to his chest, its bulging contents jostling each other with the rise and full of his slow, sleepy breathing. He moved about jerkily in his sleep, as if nightmarish specters were sifting their way into his dreaming mind. To anyone who would have come across him, he would have look like nothing more than a hiker taking a well-deserved rest. They would not have suspected that there was a story of great strangeness about his presence in the draught-strained forest, or that he held in his pack an object of such power that many would kill to possess it.

So there is 277 words right there, and i still have 5 pages to transcribe. doing it this way lets me add in details to expand my wordcount, so handwriting so far is solid gold, and worth it. the above is transcribed (padded) from the first hand written page. I am going to be able to get 50k words by filling this notebook with my tiny writing (which i am proud to say is readable, I am making the effort) so I am in a good place. the general rule of thumb is 175 page double spaced will get you a nano novel, give or take.

11. x2x2x2x2y2

I'm scared to get started. O.O

I know quality doesn't matter, but still. It scares me. lol

12. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know what you mean. I'm not even officially entered (It's more of a personal goal) and I don't plan on ever letting anybody see it, but I'm still nervous. I really wish I understood why. I finally managed to get some inspiration (thanks to overtiredness) and now I can't get myself to start.

13. MusicIsLife

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCTO91aBFXk[/YOUTUBE]

John Green gives you permission to SUCK. :slight_smile:

And the site is still screwy. *headdesk*

14. LivingInLyric

I've already done about 3,000 words :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2010 at 08:28 PM ----------

The last time the world would ever see Sophie Carter as she was, she was standing on a bridge one hundred feet above roaring city water. Recently Rhode Island had experienced a surge of flash floods and the river was angrier than ever. It pulsed and churned, sweeping away earth and stones, leaving stains of mud streaked across the sand. Sophie found it somehow comforting, like the ever racing mind that just wouldn’t quit it, no matter how much wine she’d drunk to ease the pain. Gripping the lamppost with her lacquered nails, she finally felt the chill of the October afternoon on her skin. Goosebumps raised on her trembling arms. Well, this was it, she thought. She was going to jump. She’d left a note for her roommate, Sasha, who’d gone back out West for the weekend to see family. And Neil, well, it didn’t matter what Neil thought, because soon she’d be dead, part of the Earth, and he’d be sorry. Wouldn’t they all? She gripped the post tighter with her fingers when suddenly she felt a crinkle in the palm of her hand. She turned and recognized a small sheet of purple paper taped to the chipping metal. In shining black ink were the words: “The only thing which we have against us is time. How will you use yours?” Under the words was a crude drawing of an hourglass. She stared at it for a moment, dizzy with perplexity. She flipped it over and inscribed in large bold letters was: “WHO ARE YOU?” Underneath, in neat little cursive was simply the letter “J”. Sophie put the note in her pocket and closed her eyes, envisioning the distance between her body and the core of the Earth.

First paragraph :slight_smile:

#54 LivingInLyric, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  15. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LivingInLyric, That was a very intriguing opening. Looks like it's going to be interesting.

Okay, I'm shocked that I actually managed to get out an opening chapter. I'm even more shocked that I like how it turned out. It ended up in a slightly different way than I originally intended as my imagination ran away with me. This is seriously going to change how I transition into my second chapter.

I ended up basically making myself the main character. I really have very few plans on how the whole thing is going to proceed, so I figured if that were the case, I'd have an easier time if I could put myself in his shoes and see how I'd react. I may post what I did so far later. It'll give me a chance to go over it again.

16. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to throw in the towel after just the first day. I've discovered that I literally will have no time this month to work on it. So while I got some writing done today, I can't deal with the stress of having to work on a research project, coach highschool kids in improv, apply to graduate schools and generally work on school work.
    So many awesome thing are happening in my life that I have no time for NaNoWriMo flavoured awesome.

Le sigh.
    At least I realized it now before I exploded. I'll have to tuck this story idea away for a rainy day.

17. MusicIsLife

Current word count: 3932. I'm aiming for at least 5000 before i go to bed.

18. Leon481

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I got about 1800 words finishing off the first section of chapter 2. Pretty good for starting so late in the day and this being the first time I actually bothered to sit down and really write without planning ahead first.

I've got to say, it's turning out nothing like I originally intended. It's surprising. It's like the story is taking over for me or something. I'm trying to introduce a second character now and I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with her personality yet. I just realized I don't even have a name.

Oh well. I'll figure something out tomorrow. Right now, my arms are aching and I need to sleep.

19. Smile

I have finally gotten around to typing up my handwritten work from yesterday/this morning and I am only halfway through what I thought was a total of 1,500 to see that I am already at 1000 words!

I think this is going well.

20. fallendream

I hit 1k words yesterday. I expected to be behind this time so I'm not too phased, I should be able to catch up this weekend. I plan on starting slow and easing the reader into perpetual reading ;D