1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NJ student secretly taped having sex kills himself

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...NbOUJOaBvP10z2VkrP_AD9IHR7AO1?docId=D9IHR7AO1

More here:http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-rutgers-students,0,1436134.story

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's just horrible....

3. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pissed. Homophobia claims yet another life. That sux. Especially for Tyler Clementi's parents, family and friends. I'm Catholic, and pretty conservative on matters involving our constitution, the role of government involvement in our lives, etc, and it pisses me off the Right has yet to shed the homophobia thing. (Not that the right has a monopoly on Homophobia, cuz obviously they don't.) A story attributed to Jesus asks what parent would give a child a stone when asked for bread. HELLO! Change the scene: Son: Hi dad. Can you talk. I'm gay. Dad: Get out of the house, you no good evil blah blah blah. Same story, yes? Friends and family members tend to get it, over time if not immediately. Our challenge in fighting homophobia is in reaching those who aren't aware of or don't have friends or family members who aren't 100% straight. Are they open to learning lessons from those of us who have/do/are? Rather than throwing stones at homophobes and calling names (most of us learned in grade school that's not an effective communication strategy) can't we figure out a way to help ppl open their eyes and answer the call to what Jesus named the greatest commandment-- Just Love, stupid!, er something like that.

Now, this is a HUGE battle, cuz to law down the sword of homophobia requires one to come to appreciate fully that there is no shame in being not straight. To get ppl to view unstraightness as shameless may require that they cover a lot of ground, so to speak. This journey can take parents, who love their kids the most, a long time. How much more work will it take to open others' hearts. If this is the "homosexual aganda" sign me up! If you allow me to draw on my Catholic background again, Jesus seems to have hit the nail on the head when he asked, in essence, WWDD (What Would Dad Do)? Is not loving one another our biggest challenge? (How I Hate Homophobes!) Ooops, there I go again.

#3 seadog, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it's not even just a case of homophobia, it's a case of violation of privacy. Would you want yourself taped having sex? Straight or gay? No I don't think so unless you're into that stuff but I HIGHLY doubt that's the case here.

5. Jeremy

That's so sad...

6. EM68

This story has been eating away at me. It is so sad that another kid has taken his life because he was bullied. The thing is that it seems he was seeking advice from EC's sister site (which we are not allowed to mention) and was trying to get help. But it was not enough. I'm wonder if he ever lurked on EC. :frowning2:

7. RedState

The internet is a wonderful tool. We have instant access to information that used to take hours or days at a library to compile. Its powers are unlimited.

But with all great powers, it must be used responsibly....because there is a dark side to it...it can ruin friendships, relationships, and sadly it can take lives. Like in this case.

I don't really think the "hate crime" charge will stick, but the guys that posted this should be held accountable for their role in this tragedy. I'm not a lawyer so I'm not real sure exactly what they can be charged with, but I'm sure there is something.

8. Danielle

Danielle Guest

It could be a hate crime but they would have to prove that it all happened because he was gay which does seem unlikely from what I have seen.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hate crime or not, they broke privacy laws.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it has a good chance of sticking. The guy who posted the video apparently made statements on his Twitter and elsewhere that he knew his roommate was gay and didn't like it. And the New Jersey hate crimes law is among the strongest in the US, it does not require intent to harm, just that the action resulted in harm or intimidation.

While I have little doubt that the perpetrator did not intend to drive his roommate to commit suicide, he was still thoughtless and inconsiderate. And people have to learn that when they do hurtful things to people, they risk severe consequences. Whether that's worth 15 years in prison is a big question. But people have to take responsibilty for their actions.

11. Zac4

r we sure he didn't?
    can the mods tell us if he was on here?

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly I think that too would be a privacy issue guys. Sorry.