1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nuclear fallout (what if my parents find out)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by peaceandlies, Sep 6, 2010.

1. peaceandlies

I'm planing to come out to around about 400 people in about 36 hours. Its something I've been waiting for a very long time. This post isn't about what to do. I'm all sorted with that. But I am deeply concerned about any rumours getting back to my parents - Mum especially. She's very religious.

I've envisioned several conversations with me and my headmistress which inadvertantly lead to her telling my parents. I just need some help with what to do if that does happen. I'm also not sure about the anti-homophobia laws and anti-discrimination laws in Spain.

Last year there was another LGBT at my school. He's left, which he did halfway through the year, and i'm hoping it wasn't related

2. Connor22

why would you need to have a chat wth your headmistress? doesn't she have enough to worry about?

3. peaceandlies

cos she's a homphobic bitch

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're really worried about rumors coming back to your parents, and what might happen when they do, you might want to reconsider telling those 400 people. Because either you're confident in what will happen (or willing to face the consequences), or you're not.

Lex

5. Mister Gaga

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't take such a "risk" if I'm not sure about my parent's reaction. I'd rather tell them first, then some friends, then you're ready to take over the world. That being said, I do think your parents will get rumors, 400 people will surely not keep such an information for themselves, and then your parents will feel "betrayed" because you didn't tell them first, which can cause you to get a worse reaction from them.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you mind if I ask how you're coming out to 400 people in 36 hours?

7. UserName

Go big or go home! Haha, I don't know.... if it feels like the right time and you feel as if you have nothing else to lose than go for it!!

8. peaceandlies

Its at school. i know why quite well that the news will spread at the speed of light once i tell someone.

i dont think my parents will feel betrayed. mainly just relieved they didnt find out sooner. i dont have much too lose right now, except my parents ilusion. i think really i have more to loose by not doing it. i'm not going to be persuaded out of this, i just want to know how to deal with my parents if it does get back to it.

9. SaturdaySaviour

I guess she's planning to come out to whole school.

If you have a nosy and homophobic headmistress, you might as well cancel your coming out. Probably not what you want to hear, yeah, but your parents are likely to find out. I think it's better that your parents find out from you and not some rumor or headmistress.

EDIT: I still think it's better that they hear it from you. *shrugs*

#9 SaturdaySaviour, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  10. peaceandlies

hmmm. well, maybe i'll try telling them first. or i could go find a closeted gay guy who wants to pretend he has a girlfriend and let that persuade them