1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And the fun begins again...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HalfInsane, Sep 1, 2010.

1. HalfInsane

In just four days time I'm moving into the dorms at UNBC. So... that means I get to come out to a whole ton of people all over again! I'm so the entire opposite of excited! The main thing that has me stressing, is telling my three roommates I'll be staying with. I mean sure I've told lots of people... but never people I've had to live with for eight months (well, except my family... but that's different).

For those of you who have already done so... how well did your roommates take it when you told them you were gay? I'm stressing about it a fair bit. Moreover, does anyone know how Prince George, BC is in terms of acceptance/having a gay community?

2. Nitro

1. Pride UNBC: http://www.prideunbc.ca/

The website is pretty barren and the last time I strolled through campus that would be a pretty accurate reflection of the campus pride stuff (Pride shared a small corner of a room in the women's centre and if the FB page is up to date, still do).

2. The community: Off campus the attitudes vary considerably. While I can't remember a recent hate motivated murder that does not mean that everyone will be nice. PG does have a pride society (15 years strong), and a pflag canada chapter. The city has a number of social ills that seem to take more attention than making the city fabulous.

People get can get depressed with the shorter days of winter. Getting enough sunlight can make quite the difference. Having seen the inside of their operations, I would not hesitate to call the Crisis Prevention, Intervention and Information Centre for Northern BC if the need arises. They do good work.

3. Books on Fifth (old name for Books and Company with ArtSpace above) can be a pretty nice place. I would guess that would be a spot where the local pridelings frequent … maybe.

4. Besides the natural beauty of the outdoors and easy access to ice rinks I dare say the next best part of the community is how much of an impact volunteers can make. It is not easy to fully explain but … it seems that you get more done and get to do more stuff. Maybe what the community needs is a "half insane" leader.