Should I tell my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fringelunatic, Aug 27, 2010.

1. titaniumCloset

Heh, ya no one ever said it wouldn't be awkward! It will be awkward, but it wears off faster than you'd think and the "normal routine" becomes normal again. You being gay will then blend into that normal routine and life continues. You've done the hardest thing imaginable and you should be very proud. It's all better from here on out. :slight_smile: *HUG*

2. george678

SO glad you came out, it can be awkward but at least your parents didn't mad at you, unlike some!

Well done :slight_smile: (*hug*)

3. fringelunatic

Thanks everyone.

4. Brideshead Boy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Can I ask you what you are feeling right now? I don't know what it is like to come out to anyone, and am wondering how it feels to you.

5. fringelunatic

Well, right now, a bit awkward still, but that's mostly because it was my parents, and my family never talks about things like sex and so on, so it was just... awkward.
    Immediately after I came out at first - to a close friend - I was quite ecstatic. It's a great feeling, to be honest I'm a bit disappointed not to have got it a second time.
    If you ever do choose to come out, it's the best feeling in the world (at least compared to the one immediately prior to you coming out); I felt like I could climb Everest (fortunately a fair distance away, so I didn't do anything that silly :wink:). It's something that seems terrifying right up til you do it, then a bit of a let down when you do, because it's always hyped up to be this big deal.

6. fringelunatic

Oh heck, it didn't go as well as I thought. I guess that's reassuring to an extent - something seemed very wrong before. They're talking in a different room, and clearly don't believe me.

7. george678