1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roommates?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by titaniumCloset, Aug 14, 2010.

1. titaniumCloset

I'm transferring to a college and moving in on Wednesday. I made my Facebook so they can see "Interested In: Men" before I added them on Facebook so I assume they saw that as most people creep other people's Facebooks at first to "get to know" them. I'm not sure if they know though, so I'm not sure how to proceed. I don't want to have it just be me bringing home a guy some day and then they figure it out, you know? lol. I think I'll just be "out" from Day 1 and if they say anything I'll just confirm it. I don't share a bedroom with any of them, I have my own bedroom, we just share a common area. I know they are pro-gay rights based on what I read on their walls so it's not an issue of if they're OK with it or not, just if they know or not. :astonished:

2. Jeremy

Awesome! That's such a good idea. And if you know they're pro-gay rights, you know you really have nothing to worry about. It shouldn't be an issue that you feel you have to tell them, while it shouldn't be an issue that you feel you have to keep hidden. XD Just be yourself! :grin:

I'm sure the topic will come up at some point; just don't get intimidated by it and be open and honest. Sounds like it could be a good year for you!

3. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

The problem with facebook, theres so many combinations of 'interested in' that it doesn't really have meaning, as it would if it said 'orientation: gay'.

Some people, who are completely straight, still say interested in men and women, but just for 'friendships'. Thats assuming they'd even look at it. I've had to clarify for a few peole even tho we've been 'facebook friends' for over a year.

Personally i'd just tell them, just to make sure they know (but don't make a big song or dance about it, just a casual 'I'm gay, so dont be surprised if you see a guy walking out of my room early in the morning')

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You know they're pro-gay. Presumably, you'll have a bit of a "getting to know you" get-together with them early on. (I had lunch with my college roommate soon after I got there.) At that point, feel free to make it clear by saying something like "Hopefully, I'll have enough time after studying to pursue a social life, and hopefully, there are more gay guys down here than in (where you were last)."

Lex

5. titaniumCloset

Lex - I really like that idea. Thanks :slight_smile:

I could also ask them if they're dating anyone (I know one is at least) then when they ask if I am I can say no not yet but hopefully I meet a nice guy. =P

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that such kind of questions come naturally anyway. When getting to know people, asking about the background is just the natural thing to do (after where you come from, and whether you have any siblings). And it's also the best way of just making it sound no big deal.

Who knows, maybe they'll end up sending nice gay guys they meet your way... :icon_wink

7. BrettV

That is some incredible advice and a great way to do it. I wish I had known about ec when I was coming out.

8. MagicalMatt

I think this is a brilliant idea!

9. titaniumCloset

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :slight_smile: I'm so excited to move, it feels like I am starting a new life. 20-21 years of being closeted is NOT fun and now I finally get to go somewhere new where I can start over and be whoever I want. Finally I get to go on dates with guys in a city full of them! xD Hopefully I have some fun, I've been bored out of my mind the past year at my community college living at home and working all weekend.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I wish I had known about ec when I was coming out.

Ditto. But I had to wait around for Al Gore to invent the internet first. :slight_smile:

Lex