1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop.8 Overturned

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lady Gaga, Aug 4, 2010.

1. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't even read comments on Yahoo! or similar sites' on articles like this. I feel like I'll lose too many brain cells after reading all the bullshit.

#41 excuseyou77, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. Nodnarb

I just love a good legal smackdown of the homophobes. I read most of the decision and there was a lot of good stuff in there. Just like Varnum, this decision makes any and all arguments against marriage equality seem so ridiculous that it's astounding anybody could ever buy into them.

Who knows what will happen with the Supremes. Kennedy will likely be the deciding vote, but it's a long way off...

3. Just Adam

BBC is reporting it as a victory for gays, being ruled unconstitutional upholding the rights of a minority over the views of the majority.

man did it make me feel uneasy

it would really play in to the views that 7 million voices were unheard argument thing :frowning2:

this is going to go tits up i appealed i can feel it coming...but i dont see how as its unconstitutional...surely they cant push for an amendment to the constitution not protecting certain minorities.

4. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

That's the point of an appeal. To challenge a judge's ruling as un-just.

5. littledinosaurs

This is great and all, but can someone explain to me in some short simple phrases about how exactly the 4th amendment(or whatever part of the constitution) was being violated by Prop. 8?

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

14th Amendment.

It violates the 14th amendment because it says that any citizen (does not specify gender) who marries a non-citizen, the non-citizen has a right to citizenship due to the marriage. And 99% of the time when that does happen, the marriage takes place in the US. However, because of the gay marriage ban, not every citizen can do so.

7. Miss Modular

Wow, I just finished reading through that, and I don't know if the Prop 8 people could have suffered a bigger defeat. Not one of their points was deemed valid and the judge said their argument failed at the most basic level. It was a one-sided case all the way through.

8. littledinosaurs

Ah, okay. Thank you for that explanation.

9. Dan82

I started a started a separate thread for the legal analysis here. In one sentence the judge ruled that prop 8 violated equal protection.

10. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I was reading it as it was happening awhile ago. Their arguments for Prop.8 were half-brained. The person saying them could barely put sentences together and had to ask the judge repeat half the things he said.

They suffered the worst possible defeat because they relied on an idiot among idiots to defend them.

11. Just Adam

how can the ruling be un-just tho? its pretty clear it is unconstitutional the judge just knew the law :S...and the only way to change that would be an amendment. to the constitution i think...

i only learnt what i know of all this form the simpsons... with a amendment to be singing to lisa...they cant do this and this as its unconstitutional so they make amendments to change the constitution...

12. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

A judge is just one person. No matter how good your legal system, a judge's own personal opinion will sometimes influence his decision, and there is no way to know if that happened in this case.

You're..basing all of what you know from The Simpsons? A show....that is meant to be a comedy? Almost everything in it is false..to be funny?

What..? :confused2:

13. I think it's great. Hopefully this is the brick that will help bring down the wall

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

:| Please don't trust comedy cartoon shows to teach you the process of US law.

15. x2x2x2x2y2

Wow!! This is awesome!!

16. Emberstone

but it is okay to watch family guy for sex ed...

"vagina junction, whats your function? taking in sperm, and spitting out babies..."

couldnt help myself.

but back to topic. ammended the constitution is extremely hard to do, expecially with the republican party of no, no, hell no, no, fuck your grandma NO!, NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!.

If I remeber correctly, it takes like 3/4th majority, at least in the house, and a 2/3rd in the senete to ammend the constitution... which is never going to happen on gay marriage. Bush tried to, but like practically everything that came out of the bush administration, it failed to work.

17. Shevanel

People also said African Americans would stay slaves forever.

18. Blondie

Blondie Guest

all in all its just another brick in the wall

pink floyd

19. george678

Great news, I did a blog and everything.
    Somewhere in the afterlife Harvey Milk is smiling.

But it looks like it's going to be appealed.

20. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's to hoping they make the right decision at the appeal.