1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You know what I noticed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by koolman957, Jul 26, 2010.

1. koolman957

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is it a big deal when someone who is not African says the "n" word, but when someone calls someone fag or gay, its ok.
    I mean it doesn't bother me that people call other people that, but i know it bothers some people...
    Is it just me or is there something wrong with that?

2. I agree. Both words are extremely offensive and should never be said. Back in the 7th grade, kids would constantly be calling me a faggot in front of the teacher. They never did a damn thing about it, but they damn near suspended a kid who called a black kid a nigger. It isn't fair that teachers will ignore homophobia but be shocked by racism. They are equally repugnant.

3. theJosephDean

^ This. Though, in my backwards hick town, someone used the n-word pretty much every day, and none of the teachers did anything about it. >__<

4. Yeah...kids would get shanked at my school by other students for that xD

5. theJosephDean

Lol, though I would never wish aggression like that on anyone, I do wish that my old schools would have shown a bit more concern =[

6. fallendream

What is it with 'shanking' people? What kind of person goes around thinking they're tough and practically a god for carrying a sharp rusty spoon?

7. Eric

There are like... 3 black kids at my school, but even then, use of the 'n' word is limited to the drug addicts and some other idiots, it's very rare to hear it. Use of the word 'gay' or 'fag' is very common, however. Some teachers don't really do anything, but my old law teacher always criticizes the use of the word. Some other teachers do tell students not to say it, but nothing more than that.

8. Lebowski45

At my school some teachers were openly homophobic whereas others condemned use of these words. Personally I think there will be a time where these words are just as unacceptable as the n word, we've just not reached that stage yet........I think we soon will. Just as racism was at one point seen as "acceptable", so was/is homophobia. Homophobia is a bit behind, but I think we are gradually progressing and more and more people are beginning to realise that homophobia is unacceptable

9. Rikudo

It's quite bad here in town with the n-word but teachers here defiantly react to all swear words. In fact last year on the day of our last game one of our key players got called calling some kid that. He got suspended from school and kicked off the team. I was honestly more mad at the school than him. He's a great guy but comes from the south so he's used to speaking that language.

10. Walolas

The n-word has a long history of racial biggotry and they have very active groups that have already won court cases regarding their treatment at least in this country to label it a hate word and nearly outright ban it.

On the other hand the media of today has made terms like gay and fag to mean anything insulting to the point where I have seen people being called them just for doing something outta the ordinary and for nothing homosexual at all. I hate to even admit it but I still use it as an insult towards my friends when they are doing something stupid. And I slightly care when I am called it back but not too much because it is just the common insult for my friends and it doesn't really mean anything bad between us. It is just how we have conditioned ourselves to insult eachother.

11. Shevanel

There are two well put together documentaries about the usage of these words.

I'll Wiki link them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The N Word

The F word

Yep :slight_smile:

12. I didn't REALLY mean they would get shanked xD But they would get jumped though and there might be a bit of blood, but thats just another normal day isn't it :slight_smile:

13. Rikudo

lol Joey for the win.XD

14. Lady Macbeth

...I think that it's to do with the fact that teachers aren't really taught how to deal with homophobia from schoolchildren, 'cause it's so widespread (at least, here in the UK) and it can be hard for teachers to deal with it, especially when 'gay' is used as a synonym for pretty much everything negative.

My form tutor once told me about a time when she was telling a particularly loud group of Year 9 boys to shut up (more politely than that, of course). Another kid replied, "No, Miss, they won't shut up. They're gay." And she didn't know how to respond to that. =/
    (This is pretty common around here. ._. )

So people don't generally learn about how crap that can be for an LGBT person, and so they keep using the word 'gay' as a synonym for pretty much anything negative. And their kids learn from their example that that's okay. And so the cycle continues. *shrugs*

15. koolman957

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that the problem comes because people don't think of gays as a threat, but they think of Africans as one because they protested for many years, so maybe to get respect we gotta protest for many years
    That's what the world has come to

16. Fractal

I agree with you, this word is used as a synonym for pretty much everything negative, it completely broke away from the context. Persons, who using this word aren't often homophobes, rather they are using it on the impulse of the moment, without the thought. At one time I heard five-year-old children from the playschool used the word 'fag', probably even not knowing what this word means.
    I wonder why girls aren't usually calling lesbians each other, only boys do it. If we want to offend the woman, it rather we will use one of synonyms of the word ' prostitute' than the lesbian, right?

17. Iniquity

This, and absolutely this. I hate both words, they are equally as hurtful, and both deserved to be called out equally. I won't use either word in their hurtful or present connotations (I'd only use them to explain their historical origins), no matter what social setting I'm in (back in urban NY or at college). The homophobia just doesn't seem to be on the same level of hurtfulness as the racism yet, so a lot of people try and let it slide. I truly hope it does get on the same level. And it's absolutely disgraceful how people throw both words around like verbal mudslingers back home.

18. Elven

In my school its rare to hear fag and you'd be suprised how few people even know what that means. But you hear Gay allllll the time, teachers rarely have a go at you for it but occasionaly you get one who will go ape sh*t :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I love it when that happens...

19. littledinosaurs

There is a lot more weight behind the word "nigger" than there is with the word "faggot". That can easily be seen because in this entire thread only two people actually typed out "nigger", while everyone else did not, yet seven of us were able to use "fag/faggot" and most use it openly when in the other threads regarding gay slurs.

Slavery and racism in American is a big issue that a lot of us are taught to be very uncomfortable with. There isn't that kind of idea with gay people.

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I think this really depends on where you live. While the word "faggot" is used much more than the n-word, you could get suspended from my high school for saying it. Most teachers have a zero-tolerance policy on any sort of discrimination.