1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demon's Souls

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Dr Acula, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Dr Acula

Is it just me, or is this the most frustratingly irritating, poorly designed game in existence yet still manages to be really enjoyable in a sick way?

I got it about 2 weeks ago, shortly after I got back from uni. I think I managed to play for about an hour before I got bored and angry with it so difficult to get into and s unforgiving. I picked it up again on Monday, and I've really gotten into it - yes it is frustrating, and spending most of the game with 50% health is irritating, but it's really satisfying when you actually manage to beat an area.

Anyone else, or just me?

2. Shevanel

It's supposed to be difficult :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm going to start it very soon :slight_smile: Its sitting there infront of the TV. Waiting. For my frustration :slight_smile:

3. Dr Acula

I know it's meant to be difficult but oh my word - Ninja Gaiden was difficult, but this is mental. It's so unforgiving, which I love in a sick, why am I putting myself through this way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. SolitaryKnight

I have it. Wait until you beat the game and try to go through it again, the difficulty is upped significantly. I'm about half way through my second playthrough at soul level 162, and my ass is handed to me regularly.

A lot of it is strategy and trial and error. Also, finding the right spot to get lots of souls is useful.

PS. The Valley of Defilement stage is pure hell, especially when you run into giant goblins and the poison swamp on the second part, or maybe I just suck at it.

5. Shevanel

Boy is this game ... special. xD

I played through 5 hours and realized I did something wrong, So I restarted the game entirely xD But I didn't get that far into the game, I died a SHIT TON on that first save xD

It's quite addicting.

6. Ciceron

Ciceron Guest

I actually couldn't get into this game. I am sure it appeals to a certain crowd, but the difficulty was just to high for me to enjoy. I play a games to relax and....well Demon Souls was just to much work. I get enough of that during the day!

7. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think the game is dumb honestly. Ever since the wii came out casual gaming is on the rise and every serious gamer wants to pretend hardcore gaming is going to make some big comeback. But it's not through games like Demon's Souls. I can't stand that game. There are some pretty big problems with it.
    1) I'm fine with games being hard. I love mega man 9 and that game kicks my ass every time I play it, but you can't make a game hard and not explain it at all. That's straight up no fun. Trail and error was fine in the days of the NES but we've progressed. Not explaining jack shit isn't hardcore and its not any sort of innovation. It's dumb.
    2) The online play in that game sucks. People say its rad but its not. It has the online functionality of Animal Crossing. Seriously. Animal Crossing. Look at Borderlands. That game does online play so much better then Demon's Souls. Plus, when I play a game online I like to talk to people. Not use templates to leave them messages.
    I just straight up don't like the game haha

8. Ciel

Ciel Guest

I love Demon's Souls, one of my favorite games. ^_^
    It takes a little while to get into, but the fun part is once you can start making characters with different builds and get into pvp. Though I wouldn't mind some changes for co-op and tweaks here and there, I find how it is incredibly enjoyable anyway. The way online multiplayer is also makes it rather unique. Definitely not a game for everyone I will admit. xD
    It manages to be frustrating...but in a fun way.
    I really have no idea why, but I love how unforgiving it is. xD I've got 2 characters on new game + currently and my third is still on its first play through.

9. Shevanel

I actually like the whole "figuring out shit on your own" aspect.

That's how I got back to the part of the game where I was on my first 5hour in save in probably less than 2 hours after I restarted it. (Although I'm fucking stuck this time, which makes no sense because my Soul Level is higher than it was before and all this shit is better, yet this one blue eyed knight keeps killing me without fucking fail everytime right after the first 3 dragon runs. Fuckin frustrating xD)

Also, I was never really a fan of making games easy so you just win them and be done with them. That's no fun. That's like having sex with a prostitute, sure you paid for it, and sure you orgasmed, but there was no challenge or anything leading up to it >_> xD

#9 Shevanel, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  10. SolitaryKnight

BTW, I love spears and bows, distance between me and my enemy is survival.

On another note, I beat 3 bosses last night, I feel accomplished.