1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook Pics

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EM68, Jul 19, 2010.

1. EM68

Last week I went to Provincetown, MA with my new bf. Its a big gay resort on Cape Cod. During the day my bf and I took pictures of the day. One is of us sitting at a table at a resturant with an ocean front view. We had the waitress take a picture of us with my bf's camera. Last night he posted the picture of us on Facebook.

This morning I talked to my dad to wish him a happy b-day. A little while later he emailed me and thanked me for the b-day wish then he told me that I should be careful what I posted on FB. I was a bit pissed and disappointed with him. I have yet to respond to him. I am going to wait. I am at the point that if anyone gives me a bad reaction to me being gay its their problem.

Later on in the day, a receptionist at the dealership, who is also a FB friend said that she could tell that I had a good time in Provincetown. I told her yes I did. Then she asked who was in the picture with me. She had a sparkle in her eye so I knew she knew. I told her it was someone that I am seeing. Then she said 'oh really' I said 'yup". Then she asked are you happy. Then I said absolutely. She said that its all that matters.

I am so happy about this. I feel that I am moving along with my life and no longer afraid to hesitate when someone asked me. :slight_smile:

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats :slight_smile:
    Its awesome that you finally got to that place and that you are enjoying yourself :slight_smile:

3. concklin

it sounds like he made that comment because he's looking out for you. for example - if a superior at your job can see your facebook and has a problem with you being gay, your job may be in jeopardy

4. EM68

I understand. In Massachusetts, people are protected for being fired for being gay. If I was fired from my job for being gay, I could sue and become pretty rich.

5. Walolas

Ya mass. lol

6. dude99

dude99 Guest

Thats great to hear. Its great that your life is doing really well for you.

7. Smiley1123

Thats great! I was also recently in Provincetown, MA. I was not with a date though :frowning2:. Seems like a great town and I would love to go back someday...hopefully, maybe even with someone :grin:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do remember that parents will tend to think a bit behind the times. My grandmother, as liberal as she was, did a bit of a freak out when she found that my brother was dating a black woman. Not because she objected, but because she was terrified by all the hatred she thought they would get. It took a fair amount of convincing to make her understand that, for the most part, that really wasn't a big deal anymore. I'm guessing your father might have been on the same page.

Lex

9. george678

10. Prccgeek

My mom always says the same thing...make sure you don't put "all" information about yourself up on facebook..what about jobs, and the new people you meet when yo go to college." Honestly, I hope not to many employers look at facebook and when I go off to college I don't mind if people know...I want them to know...but i know she is just looking out for me...but I do get offended sometimes anyway...If I want to be a "fan" of the Trevor Project why shouldn't I?

AND I am glad you had a good time at P-town...I have always thought it sounded fun to go there...maybe someday

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    great story. good times. thats all we can ask for.

12. kurti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have said, your dad might not have been objecting to you having the photos up, but was just concerned for your safety.

My Great Aunty (my mums aunt) who I never really had that much contact with, rang my father instantly when i put a facebook picture of me and my boyfriend up. She said it was ok with her but she thought i shouldn't have the photos up because i never know who may be looking.

It's just an older generation thing i guess, but she still had the best of intentions.

13. EM68

Thanks everyone! My dad called me a few days ago and said was happy that I am happy with my new bf.We did not talk about my facebook pictures. I talked to my mom the day before and we talked at length about us.

14. darkestknight

This is good news and certainly a good time you are having here. :grin:

By the way, try not to expose personal details too much in Facebook. You know, certain employers are nosy about that... :grin:

15. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Massachusetts Rocks.

16. starfish

In that case I sincerely hope you get fired for being gay. Just remember us little people. :slight_smile:

17. titaniumCloset

If you make your Facebook private enough you can make it so other people can't see your info/pics unless you're Friends with them. That's what I do :slight_smile: