1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I talked with my mom...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, Jul 18, 2010.

1. BudderMC

I accidentally sighed out loud in the car, and one thing led to another and I basically came out to her. Mostly because she kept asking me questions because I couldn't say anything better.

She's totally fine with it, and I figured as such. But now I've got a different issue that I wasn't expecting.

Being my mom and all, she's worried for me. I guess part of it is that it's kinda big news, but we talked again this morning, and it sounds like she's all worried that I'm going to get bashed or hated on or basically any other potentially negative thing that could occur because I'm not straight when I go off next year.

I'm not even bothered about it myself. I'm good with who I am. I'm smart enough to stay away from idiots and keep myself safe first and foremost, straight or not. But I can't get her to not even stop worrying about me, but feeling guilty and bad for me. She knows it's not her fault and it's not a bad thing, but I keep feeling bad when she's feeling bad for me because she wouldn't know if I never told her, right?

Anyone got ideas? I'm up for anything at this point... I just can't stand to see her upset because of something that likely won't happen and isn't in her control. She isn't exactly the irrational type, so I'm not used to this.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to worry about this too much. It's rather common for parents, upon learning something new about their children, to start imagining all the worst case scenarios. When my sister joined a football team (American) recently, my mother started panicking about head trauma and "what about if you decide to have children?" (To which my sister said "Well, I won't play pregnant, if that's what you're thinking...") And upon learning their son is gay, parents might picture any one of a number of things. Maybe you in a metal thong at the end of a leash held by a huge leather daddy. Or being passed around like an hors d'oeuvre tray at some decadent sex-and-drugs party. Or, in your case, getting bashed.

You've done what you can. Reassure her that you're pretty sure you'll be fine, and you won't take any unnecessary risks. Then give her time to get used to the idea. I'm betting time will be the best healer here.

Lex

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats about coming out. And don't worry about your mother, she's just being a mom. Just reassure her you'll be careful, and a lot of universities are quite open about the being gay. It's not like it is in high school.

4. blueeyedcutie

Congrats on coming out to your mom. Its one thing that i haven't had the courage to do yet. Take a deep breath, keep an open line of communication and reassure her that everything will be alright!

5. BrettV

LIke they said .. she's just being your mom. Consider yourself fortunate!!

Great luck with everyone else.