1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point of even coming out as bisexual?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blacksheep, Jul 15, 2010.

1. blacksheep

blacksheep Guest

I've been considering coming out to my mom for months, but no matter how many times I try to drop hints, she still thinks I'm straight. If we talk about LGBT-related stuff, she'll talk about me being straight.

I mean, since I'm bisexual, I still like guys. However, the fact that I like girls more than guys might get in the way of my "act straight" idea. I tend to fall for girls more than guys as well. So that might not help either.

I feel like if I directly walk up to my mom and say, "Hey, I'm bi." She won't believe me.

And I mean, if I still have that part of me that likes boys, what's the point? Of course, it might help me mentally since I was so angry at myself and depressed before coming out to a couple of my friends. So, coming out to my mom might be a good thing. But I have a feeling if I tell her, she'll tell me that I'm confused and that I'm straight.

And if I do come out to my mom, how should I do it? I'd rather not have to tell her straightforward. I'd rather that she just realize it so I don't have to say it.
    :help:

2. Zumbro

Well, I'm not bisexual, but to me the point of coming out as bi would be to relieve the confusion. Chances are you'll be going through multiple relationships, so if you tell people that you're bi they aren't confused either way. If you say you're gay then date a guy, people will be confused. If you say your straight and date a girl, more confusion. Saying your bisexual just clears things up a bit for the future.

Also, your mom likely won't "just realize it". Parents view their child as normal, which means they're going to view you as straight unless you indicate otherwise. If you don't act completely masculine, they likely won't doubt it. Bisexual is even harder to tell, since there isn't really a way to drop hints as far as I can tell. You'll either come off as gay or straight, but it's hard to come off as bisexual.

3. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your best bet is just to straight up tell her. She may not like it, but if its part of you then she's going to have to come to terms with it at some point. I came out to my mum as Bi initially, and it was good because it opened her eyes to the fact that I could like either guys OR girls.

I have since decided to associate myself as Gay, even though I'm still more Bi than anything - it just makes it easier on my own sanity. Good luck.

Kaleb.

4. AlyssWonderland

I'm bisexual too, and I have told my mom. She still doesn't believe me, she thinks its just a phase. Like the people above me have said, it would make it easier for you if you did come out. There will be less confusion if you date a boy or girl, and you'll feel more relieved like you mentioned. I think that's enough to make it worth it. Though she may or may not believe you, it will still be good to have come out to her the day you do have a girlfriend.

5. acd92

Yeah, I mean, I've tried numerous times to come out to my mom, telling her that I'm bisexuals, but she refuses to believe it and thinks that I'm just going through a phase. Of course, she also believe that male bisexuals don't exist, so I'm kind of at a loss there! However, I also believe that you really have to just be straightforward and firm as you tell her! The more firm you are, the less your mom will be able to pull the old, "well maybe you're just going through a phase / confused". You may think, "what's the point?" sometimes, I do all the time...I fluctuate from being really happy about figuring out my bisexuality to being really scared and confused and upset about it all. But in the end, I think you will feel much better. For me, I just felt like I was being more open and honest with the people I have told, and it really strengthened a lot of friendships and relationships, well, minus my mom. But yeah, best of luck! It can be really hard sometimes, but I know you'll pull through! :slight_smile:

(Hope this helped!)

6. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with everyone, you should tell her and be upfront with her.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure how this thread got reactive but acd92, the OP isn't a member on the site anymore. If you notice he is recognized as a guest now but the fact he has no profile and yet it says 14 tournament won, probably means he was a member but isn't any longer. That or "black sheep" is put on people banned. Not sure.

8. acd92

Woah, that's strange, when I first replied, it appeared that the person had an active profile and everything...