1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when to say i love you

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by limfjord96, Jul 14, 2010.

1. limfjord96

ok, sort of a lame question, but ive been seeing a guy for four months and the last two of them ive been sifting through my feelings to figure it out, and Ive concluded I love him, absolutely so, but he isnt as forward with his feelings, weve even talked about it so i cant get a read on him, i know he likes me but how much? Is there such thing as the right time to say i love you? thoughts?

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope someone else has something better to say than me. All I can say is, I'm not sure when or if there's a good time to say it. I mean if you feel strongly, I guess you can say it, hopefully he returns the same. If not, he clearly just isn't at that stage. People are all unique, and some fall in love quicker than others, not saying you're too fast, just simply saying some don't fall in love until a year into the relationship. Good luck is all I can really offer...

3. All you can really do is put yourself out there and tell him how you feel. Good luck=)

4. george678

Same^ Just sit him down or email him. Good luck.

5. limfjord96

no, i have a time planned, but its a little bit down the road. He is taking me back to Austin to meet his friends and stuff, so I thought it might be a nice thing, plus it will be our sixth month, but if i can hold out, ive had so many times where i bite my tongue bc it almost naturally come out, although this weekend is SD pride and we are both going to our first pride, so if there is booze it might slip out lol

6. BrettV

you're fortunate. Enjoy. Sounds like you want to "let it slip," so to speak. I think honesty is the best way to go. If you think it will freak him out, let him know that you aren't trying to freak him out but that's just how you feel.

Good luck!

7. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never been in a relationship before but I throw around "I love you" as much as "hey" or "bye."

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think that you should just tell him in the way that you most seem appropiate. Just remember that he might not say I love you right after or that he might be taken back. Not of these responses mean that he doesn't love you.

I think I'm similar to your guy in the way that I don't let my emotions show easily. Even if I wanted to, I have to try REALLY hard. I have no idea why..well, I kind of do but its hard to explain xD Either way, one night, my boyfriend thought I was going to say I love you to him. He got all excited and told me he had been waiting for me to say it. That he has been wanting to for a while now. Then I told him that I wasn't actually going to say it xD I know, harsh, but I seriously didn't know if I was in love with him or if I was just in love with the idea of a guy. So, I waited until I figured it out, which he totaly hated haha but at the end I was able to say I love you back :slight_smile:

tl;dr
    Just tell him. You might be that one person that teaches him how to express what he is feeling. Maybe he hasn't said it yet because he doesn't know how to. Either way, best of luck :grin:

9. Just Adam

i dont kno w how to answer this thread when i tell someone i love them its when it feels right..theres no pre determined moment its just when i feel that i want to tell them that i love them.

10. theJosephDean

My bf and I have been together for four months, too, and we haven't said it to each other. I asked him one day, and he said that his past relationships (all of which ended badly, it seems), really made him kind of fear the L word. So, I'm just waiting on him to be comfortable with it first. He knows I'm ready to say it, but I don't want to pressure him or make him feel like he has to say it back. I know he feels it, but I guess to him, saying it is a different thing.

I agree with the above posters in that if you really feel it, you should at least ask him about it and see where he stands. :3

11. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he's not really forward with his feelings, its possible he's quite nervous about saying something. He may be feeling what you're feeling too.

I didn't think too much about when to tell my bf I loved him, I'm very self-aware, and I knew myself that I loved him and I wanted to tell him. But I can't tell you when the right time is, you can't plan it, you just wait until you feel like its time to say. I had an amazing evening with my bf, and told him while he was in my arms.

Just make sure the two of you are completely honest with each other, he will appreciate you being honest with him when you tell him your feelings, he may not be able to say it back immediately, just be encouraging.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's never a "right" time. My partner actually said it first. He said coyly "Would it freak you out if I told you I think I'm in love with you?" I responded, "Not at all. Would it freak you out if I told you I'm not sure yet, but I think I'm on the same road?"

Lex

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my advice is when NOT to say, don't say it right after sex. It comes off as sort of tacky trap.

14. coolguy144

Sometimes actions speak louder than words. I'd rather have someone not say it and KNOW they do than him being pressured into saying it and not meaning it. Maybe he does love you, but he just hasn't said it yet.