1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the first step...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by titaniumCloset, Jul 9, 2010.

1. BrettV

Wow. Sorry you had to go through that. I hope that if you give them time, they will come around.

Congratulations on telling them. That is something many people cannot and some probably will not ever do. You are very brave.

2. Jeremy

Well, shame on them! And a huge thank you to you for being brave enough to confront your problems and open enough to share them with others! I still haven't told my parents and they're nowhere near that bad (I think/hope).

It's ridiculous that people can't be open minded about other people and accept them for who they are, and it's more than unfortunate that they can't stop living in the past and realize this is 2010! If they're so narrow-minded to think that homosexuals are all the same with only negative attributes permeating their lifestyle, then shame on them! Such ignorance.

I'm sorry it happened like that. There's no excuse.

3. titaniumCloset

Even though its not how I wanted, I'm glad I did it. Thank you EC. I'm sure in the future all of thi s anger and depression will fade and I will be glad I came out. Going to bed now, will write an update tomorrow.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)
    I’m really sorry that you had to go through such an experience.

As awful as their reaction was, from a parent mindset, it’s understandable. Parents think they have a firm grasp of their children. And, if you’ve always been well-behaved, they feel like they have control over the situation. And then you come in, and they find out that there are key points about you they never knew about, and they see that they can’t just easily convince you that you’re straight after all. So they suddenly feel a huge loss of control. So they’re panicking. People who feel cornered can do a lot of things they otherwise wouldn’t, and probably regret afterwards.

Add to that that, if they don’t know a lot about gay people, they are really concerned that, to their eyes, you’re running into a disaster. They had a lot of ideas about how your life would be going, and suddenly, you come in and tell them that’s not going to happen. So they probably also feel quite a loss.

People who are confronted with that can, as a first resort, slip into denial (no, this isn’t true!), anger (faggot!), bargaining (just meet more girls first) and fear (gays have unhappy lives, and did you hear about AIDS yet??). All of which I see in the response you describe. Acceptance only comes afterwards. And sometimes that takes some time, or things even seem to be moving backwards (my mom said she accepted me right away, I thought. Until she blew up in my face a few months after that, and we entered into a protracted cold war).

In the end, you did the right thing, though! They have a bit of a journey ahead to go to learn to accept it, but that journey has now been started. They can discuss it amongst themselves. You don't need to feel depressed about lying and worrying whether they know, or what their reaction will be (you'll be amazed when you find out just how many time you save by not angsting about it) And most parents do come through in the end.

I do like Kevin’s suggestion of finding more information on gay people. PFLAG has a lot of good material on their website (concise and not too long, so it’s easy to digest), specifically geared to parents. Also, they might have a chapter in your neighborhood that your parents can go talk to.

I know that after I pushed for you coming out and it now blew up, you might not entirely believe me anymore, but things will be OK in the end! (*hug*)

5. fringelunatic

First off, congratulations. I know it sounds awful to congratulate you for getting into a situation like this, but you did the right thing. They know now; you're not keeping secrets from them, and you did one of the bravest things you could ever do in a family context.
    I'm sorry that coming out to them was such an unpleasant experience, but as Filip says, you've got to look at it from their point of view. I hope and think that you'll find over the next few days and weeks that they'll come to terms with it; they'll realise that you are in fact still human, still the normal son they had a few days ago, just that you'll not marry a woman. Your parents need time to come to terms with this, simple as.
    I'm glad you see the positive side though; at least you can live an honest and open life now, without constantly looking over your shoulder to see if they're looking over it.

6. titaniumCloset

Well I'm still alive. It's very awkward and silent at home now. This morning I got up for work and my mom was in the kitchen, I walked in to make some breakfast and I said good morning, she said good morning and then that was it. We didn't talk or say anything I just got my stuff and left, no "Have a good day" or anything. Was at work all day and talked to my lesbian friend who took me out to lunch to cheer me up. :slight_smile: I love her, who I actually found out today prefers to be called "him"...so I guess she's trans, but I'm not really sure yet. Anyway, we talked and she just said it will take time, which I think is true and is what I read on here as well from you guys. A nice big hug was very nice too.

I had to go pick my sister up at the airport after work which took forever and even though she knows, she didnt really bring it up, just asked how I've been, etc. So either she didnt want to make the car awkward or she doesn't care...probably somewhere in the middle.

At dinner, it wasn't brought up but I also wasn't talked to by them so I think they just don't want to talk about it. Before my mom went to bed she did come into my room though to say she hopes I'm alright. I just said sure and she left. I have 14 days until I move out and they cant come any faster. I hate living at home and have hated it for a long time, this just made it worse. I think my dad hates me now but I hate him as well so that makes it fair I guess. I still like my mom and would like to win her love back but am unsure as to how I'd do that. I guess just time and talking to her. I just wish they didnt think this was such a big problem. It's not a problem in my eyes, just something different. With lots of hugs, tears and sadness, I think this can be fixed with time but I really just don't want to wait that long. :bang:

7. MagicalMatt

A) Don't hate your father. All you can do is love him. Love is returned with love.
    B) Don't hate your home. You'll never have a place of comfort.
    C) There's no reason to "win her love back". She loves you. She obviously cares about you, or she wouldn't have asked if you were alright.

Life has harsh realities, and sadly, one of them as that sometimes parents don't know how to handle the fact that their kids aren't what they expected. They might learn, they might not. I'm not going to give you false hope, but DO NOT return the hard feelings they showed to you. You only make it harder on everyone.

chin up. Big love from Oklahoma.

8. titaniumCloset

10 more days till freedom and it can't come any faster. I requested more hours at work so I don't have to be at home. It's still awkward silence but it's more of a "let's not talk about it" and they're trying to go on with normal life as much as possible. I "met" my roommates for next year on Facebook and I think they'll all be more than accepting.

Roommate A's Facebook - Very Liberal for "Political Views", No on Prop 8 group, posted link to striking down Prop 8 and saying good job, etc.
    Roommate B - liberal, seems very friendly and has gay friends (they're very flamboyant in his pictures, lol). The only problem with this one is he is very very cute. lol Oh well, he has a girlfriend so I guess that won't happen. I know how to handle having straights friends, been doing it for 21 years...just DO NOT GO THERE!
    Roommate C - foreign exchange student from India, has been living in US for 3 years, seems quiet/reserved, so even if they don't like it / think it's normal they won't say anything.

I'm buying myself a new computer monitor to congratulate my coming out. xD And some new clothes :grin:

9. titaniumCloset

Well I move in exactly 1 week! :slight_smile: plus today was my last day of work - I thought id be happy about that but I think I will really miss them.
    Roommate C is no longer attending the school tho so I will be most likely getting another one.

On my facebook iit says I'm gay "interested in: men" so I don't think I really need to "come out" I plan on just being out and if they ask I will say yes

10. Blondie

Blondie Guest

you could should steer mom and dad to pflag.com

11. reckless32

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm so afraid to come out but I'm dying to be myself on the inside