1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the first step...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by titaniumCloset, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm coming in a bit late to the discussion, but honestly, that letter is pretty awesome. It touches on all the points, makes clear you love them, and invites further discussion. I think I might want to steal it to send to my grandparents :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

While I see how "setting up the scene" might seem like a good idea, I am going to be a tad rude here and say you're stalling.
    I'm pretty sure that hints seem blatant enough when you know the whole inside story, but your family doesn't know the inside story. If they aren't seeing it coming already, they will overlook it. Just before coming out, I thought I was pretty blatantly hinting. I was not even feigning interest in girls, making appreciative comments about guys, not controlling the direction I looked in in the least. But no one noticed.

Giving others the initiative never works well, because you're at their mercy. And even if they have an idea, they might not dare to ask you.

If you don't want to be off while they're getting the letter, then make sure they read it when you're in the house. Leave it on their pillow before they go to bed. Leave it on the breakfast table and make sure they get there first, before you come into the kitchen/dining room. Leave it on the table before they come home from shopping, and wait in your room. There are tons of options here.
    And I'm still pretty sure that you're more courageous than you think you are. You can still just drown out your doubts (figuratively speaking, not with alcohol :icon_wink), stride in and hand the letter. Just think of how jealous you are of people who are happily out and tell yourself that this is the day you shall have that too!

You can do it!

2. titaniumCloset

Awwww, I love you. :slight_smile: Such honest and sound suggestions. I think deep down I probably am trying to delay, well I know I am. I leave for school August 18th and was thinking of telling them 1-2 weeks before then, so if they end up flipping out I won't have long to suffer, but still gives them enough time to chill out before I head out. If the time arises though, I will tell them, like if they bring up me dating girls again. However, if they don't do that I will most likely just hand them the letter or leave it out for them. I'd rather hand it to them, but that's like really awkward to do. "Oh hi, read this." I was thinking of putting it on their bed so they read it at night when they go to their room, but that's kind of a harsh thing to do right before bed, I'd rather do it earlier in the night...maybe when they get home from work.

3. titaniumCloset

Well recently I have been feeling more that I can "do it" and come out to them. However, I still have not. I was thinking about doing it tonight but then we went out to dinner and they had a few drinks so I dont want to do it if they're not sober. However, at dinner they were talking about "all the girls you can get in SF" and how I'll be a "chick magnet" and that my sister can set me up with her friends in SF. :frowning2: To them I just replied "yeah....." with a very uninterested tone and they kind of changed the subject. I don't know what they think when I do that, either they think I'm depressed that I can't get girls, I'm gay or maybe some other 3rd option I'm not thinking of. I think that they think I'm straight though, or at least hoping I am.

If the timing works out tomorrow I want to try and do it but who knows...I feel kind of inspired right now, or at least earlier I did so I just want to get it done with.

4. george678

Come on Man, chin up :frowning2:

Trust me just tell them tomorrow
    the burden will be off your shoulders. :slight_smile:

5. synchromaniac

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Titaniumcloset, I had to respond to this thread because I'm in the EXACT same situation. I told my friends a month ago (and they were really supportive but really surprised) and have since stalled telling my parents. I've tried to wait for the perfect time/situation but it hasn't happened yet. But I have to tell them before school starts in mid august.

I know exactly the sick feeling you have when thinking about telling your parents. But now I don't have it anymore, I'm actually looking forward to telling them! But this just happened a few days ago. I think something changed because I decided I was going to tell my mom first, instead of them both separately. I know my mom will be really supportive, so if I have her on my side my dad will be easy. This was actually my friend's idea, but it's made things so much easier on me.

It's amazing how in my mind I made my parents out like they were awful homophobic parents who don't love me. For weeks I couldn't stand to be around them most of the day. But ever since I calmed down about telling them, we've gotten along really well and my mom has since told me several times how much she loves me (I think she know's somethings up). And last night my parents were talking about how much they liked Brokeback Mountain haha.

So on Monday I'm going to come out to them. I won't be nervous I'll be happy. Maybe there's something you can change your setup somehow to make it so you aren't so nervous. Sounds like you are almost there! Just think about what is still making you nervous and talk about with your friends and EC and get all your doubts cleared up.

Best if luck to you, though! Get it over with and be happy!

#45 synchromaniac, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  6. synchromaniac

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I forgot to mention I hate it when my dad says stuff like this to me lately haha. It's so annoying!

Please keep us informed how it went/how it goes!

7. titaniumCloset

It's good to hear there's someone else out there like me. The idea of telling my mom first does sound a little better. My relationship with her is much better and open compared to that with my dad. The relationship I have with my dad is not very great. We don't talk about much and I don't like being around him usually. I don't know how I'd tell my mom alone though. She works the normal Monday-Friday, 9-6 and my dad doesn't work currently so he's always home when she gets home. I'll have to think I guess.

I don't know what it is but everyday the past few days I've been feeling worse and worse. I almost started crying today at a stoplight but held it all back, just thinking of what might happen when I tell them. People in general have just been upsetting me recently, I don't even know what it is. I think it's just depression making me bitter towards anyone who pisses me off even slightly.

I want to tell myself I'll tell them on Monday but realistically I don't think I will. I know I need to just get it over with but I just feel so down right now I don't think I'll be able to do it. Realistically, I don't think the reaction will be overly horrible, probably just kind of medium, but the thought of physically telling them that we need to talk and saying the words "I'm gay" to them feel more than impossible. I've had to go through some bad shit before but I'd seriously rather go through that again if it could replace all of this anger, depression and fear that I've been feeling the past few years. I just want it to be done with already so I feel like that feeling to just get it done with will hopefully force me to come out to them soon. I feel like I need to do it this week, I only am here for 18 more days and I don't really want to tell them like a week before I go and then them not be able to really get used to it at all or think I'm doing it just randomly or something...I dont know. I know I need to do it, but how I'll do it and when I'll do it are the two confusing points. I'm out to a friend of mine at work who is lesbian as of a few days ago and maybe I can talk to her tomorrow. She's like beyond nice, very caring and hopefully we'll be able to talk. We usually chat on IM because we work in a call center and don't just get to stroll around like other jobs. Sit in your chair or you're in trouble! hehe, fuckers, can't wait to quit! Any way...if you have any comments or suggestions on what I can do, I always appreciate them very much, you guys are my main source of motivation.

#47 titaniumCloset, Jul 31, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  8. titaniumCloset

9. wondering1

Out Status:
    A few people
    ok I am new at this. I have been living a life where I havve tried to identify as straight. I have a 14 year old son and was raised in a pretty strict religious homophobic family. I only have revealed mysea older friend. I have always been sexually attracted to females but tried to live as what I am expected to be. I now realize through a good therapist that I have to make some choices. This is scary though. At this point I have no supports . What do I do?I think I want to meet some people but do not know how to go about it.

10. fringelunatic

Well, if it's any consolation, I think I can make it three; @titaniumcloset and @synchromaniac.
    I first came out in April (17th April at 23:45 to be precise :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) to a close friend who is gay. For about a week before that I barely left my room, just wondering, and dreading what coming out would do to me. Anyway, to cut a long story short, it all went fine (I guess I chose my first well) and I've never felt better. If I hadn't come out I suspect the stress of the situation would have led me to fail my exams; it was pretty disastrous the year before.
    Since then I've been dropping hints to my family, like occupationally bringing up issues, like "Oh I see the new Icelandic Prime Minister is gay"; I don't know whether they've really registered it, or just thought I was being my normal, not terribly interesting conversationalist :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Then on Saturday, me and a group of friends decided to our local pride - first time for all of us. I'd told my parents I was "meeting up with some friends" which was, to be fair true, but my sister found/worked out that I was going to Pride, and immediately told my mum. So I suspect the subtly part has all but gone! I had thought about telling them today, but I thought it might be wise to give a couple of days' gap between Pride and that. I can just imagine my mum's first thoughts being "he's clearly been influenced by that"! I confess I'm a little annoyed with my sister, who has basically delayed my plans :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I've got a deadline too, a bit later than yours perhaps - I go to Uni in mid-September, and if my parents don't know I'll feel the need to be excessively cautious and probably not be able to enjoy the experience.
    I've thought about the letter thing, and telling one parent before the other. My thought is almost the opposite to yours, titaniumCloset. I'm not sure I have a better relationship with either parent - if I did I guess it would be my dad - but if I felt there was I'd be extra careful to make sure they found out at the same time, to prevent it looking almost like favouritism. What really scares me about coming out is not my parents' attitudes to me, but the effect it might have on their relationship if they don't have the same opinion, which is at least plausible.

Sorry to write so much, I'm afraid I'm not a very short-winded person. Good luck with the final hurdle - I'm pretty sure I'll give it a go in the latter half of the week <fingers crossed>

11. Jeremy

Hello! Sorry, I failed to read everyone else's comments before replying so I may be repeating someone else. :astonished:

Anyway, I'm not "out" to mother (or father, but he's a completely different story). One thing I'll say though is that in my experiences in coming out to others, sometimes it's almost as if I go into a state of almost losing consciousness; I go completely numb and the words "I'm gay" come out of my mouth, but I feel as if I didn't say a word and that whoever I told didn't hear it, hoping that I just imagined it, and it'll all be forgotten.

As for my mother, the way I see it is that homosexuality is 100% completely irrelevant to the type of person you are. To me, telling my mom that I'm gay would be about as relevant as saying "Hey mom, I'm left-handed." Though I understand that socially speaking, these are two very different scenarios, but my goal is to show everyone that they're really not different scenarios and should be treated the same, though this will take more time than I think I will be alive. (Also remember that left-handed people were once looked at as evil and were often killed for their "demonic nature").

Hope this helped! :grin:

12. titaniumCloset

LOL, another one! :grin: @fringelunatic

If it feels right I'm going to try to tell them tomorrow. My sister gets home Wednesday so I kind of want to get it done before she gets here as that is just another barrier I'll have to get through to have them alone to tell them. At dinner tonight I started to make a little suggestions, saying that I "hope I meet someone in SF, it'd be fun to date someone". And they were like "yeah I'm sure there will be lots of pretty girls". And I just said "Yeah well whatever, just someone." maybe that made me sound bi, but they looked a little confused so I think it worked LOL

13. blankpaper

Good Luck!! Can't wait hear how it went : )

14. fringelunatic

Good luck; let me know how it goes. I'm thinking Thursday personally, but don't hold me to it just yet :slight_smile:

15. fringelunatic

Somehow in all of that I managed not to get to my point, which was that I'd initially felt it was a good idea to let them ask me, but when it came to a situation where I thought they might I went into full panic attack mode. It might just be because I'm something of a control-freak (I hope that's harsh :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) but I want to be in control of when and how I tell them. I guess it's a lot of that which stops me telling them by letter too.

16. titaniumCloset

Ugh, I felt so sick today at work just thinking about it, getting a knot in my stomach and getting some shakes, then it got worse when I got home so I just took a nap. It's 6:30PM now and my mom should be getting home soon. Hopefully I tell them but I really don't know what will happen, we'll see how dinner "chat" goes.

17. BrettV

Great luck to you.

Lots of great mojo coming from ec ...

Let us know how it goes!!!

18. fringelunatic

Hope it's all going / gone well!

19. titaniumCloset

Well I told them last night, I made it short and quick and just said "Well we need to talk about something important that I've been putting off for a very long time...I'm gay." It was then a very long awkward silence and then my mom said I couldn't be and that I'm not gay and asked if I was joking, I said no. She asked how I knew, I explained because I'm attracted to guys and not to girls, at this time my dad called me a fucking queer and left the room and eventually after enough arguing between my mom and him he came back and sat down, he looked very pissed off though. They asked me if I ever slept with a guy, I said yes, they asked who/when, etc. I explained. They asked if if I ever slept wit a girl, I said yes, once it sucked and I was just "trying" it to be sure. They told me again I wasn't gay and that I'm just confused and haven't met any girls I like. They then went on to say gay people have bad lives, don't ever have real relationships and are just sex addicts. At this point I just felt like shit as they didnt even understand anything about me or real gay people, just the crap they heard from others. I told them I didn't mean to upset them, I just wanted to share my real self with them and my mom understood and my dad just shook his head at me and looked angrier. So I just said "I love you any way" and went to my room and cried. Once they left that room and were distracted I went outside and just drove around for a while not doing much. Came home late and went to bed. I work at 7 AM so I was up before they were and left for work, now I'm home and no ones home and I'm about to leave as I dont even want to talk to them. Overall, coming out experience = fucking horrible. I thought they might be upset or something but not like this, much worst than I expected. I hope they still love me but I really don't think they do any more, they just said the cruelest things to me and the look in their eyes was filled with dissapointment and anger. FML.

20. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

First off:

(*hug*)

Secondly, perhaps you could find some information or examples that portray gays living normal lives. There are books that talk about gay parenting based on actual gay parents that the author has talked to...how much more "normal" (besides the gay part) can you get than that?

I am so sorry that you have had such a terrible 24 hours, but hopefully things will get better :slight_smile:. Until then, just remember to be proud of who you are and the life you live.

#60 Kevin42, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010