1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking the first step...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by titaniumCloset, Jul 9, 2010.

1. titaniumCloset

Bubble wrap closet?
    Lol no I've done all my "coming out" after this, everyone I care about telling will then know

2. BrettV

I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear how this goes. You've got a lot of great vibes coming out from this board (no pun intended.)

** ok, pun intended.

#22 BrettV, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  3. titaniumCloset

Writing more right now, I'll probably post it in here for you guys so you can help me out with it.

4. titaniumCloset

Been writing / editing a lot tonight. Much harder than it sounded. :frowning2: I need a fucking hug, a beer and a cigarette, lol. bleh

5. titaniumCloset

Here's my draft so far, tell me what you think, too sad and tired to continue

6. BrettV

cyber hug for you from los angeles. You'll do fine. Just say what you feel and mean what you say. That's it. Honesty is a beautiful and scary thing.

You clearly love your parents. They're fortunate to have a son that cares so much about how they feel.

7. BrettV

omg. What a fantastic letter. I wouldn't change a thing.

8. titaniumCloset

I feel that I still need to edit it, I'm going to read other coming out letters tonight and modify it. I was kind of waiting for my sister to leave though so I can have my parents alone one night and she just left today for like 2 weeks, so now I have the ability to do it. just need to get myself ready for it.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This really is an incredible letter as is, probably one of the best coming out letters I've seen. If you feel like you still need to edit it, then of course that's your perogative, but honestly I don't think I'd change anything. I think you've covered all the points in an eloquent and thoughtful way, and covered most of the immediate objections as well.

Best of luck and make sure you tell us how it goes!

10. titaniumCloset

Even now that I wrote it I still don't have the power to hand it to them. :frowning2: no idea how I'm going to do this

11. blankpaper

Just try leaving it in a spot where they can clearly see it in an envelope with their name on it. That way you don't have to actually hand it to them but you can still get your feelings across. Good Luck just think about the bright future and everything will go well!!!

12. titaniumCloset

Isn't that awkward though? Like they'll read it and I'll be off at work somewhere and they'll want to talk about it I assume but I won't be there and they'll probably go crazy. I kind of learned my lesson once with that. I was trying to join the Army and had to go to my medical exam at 5AM so I left them a note saying where I was and they freaked out and tried to get me denied saying I had scoliosis to my recruiter and all other kinds of lies...so yeah, I think leaving the note would be Round #2 of that, just in a different way. I may end up having to do that though, I am too avoidant of the situation, I don't know if I'll ever be able to say it face to face.

However, today I went to the gym with my friend who is really more like my brother's friend since they're the same age. On our way out in the parking lot he mentinoed these girls walking by and I was just like "Ooo yay fat and pale girls, I'll pass" and then he went on saying how I pass on every girl, don't even like girls and that he wish he could deny them as easily as me. I was just like ummm, yeah, do not want. He probably thought something of it, maybe thinking I was gay since the topic of me denying girls comes up a lot, but I dunno...I wish he and my brother would just ask me, it would make it much easier. They've asked me if I was asexual before and what kinds of girls I like and I'm just like DO NOT WANT, STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. bleh.

13. blankpaper

mhmmm.... maybe you could could be super sneaky and add a ps at the bottom of letter and say something about meeting somewhere or contacting each other? I'm just trying to think about it and the way I would do it is I would try to make sure that they got the letter while I was home and find a time when I knew my parents would be together somewhere (probably somewhere in the house when everyone's home after work and stuff) and leave it ahead of time with a note saying to meet me in my room/outside after they read the letter to talk (????)....... GEEZ just thinking about how to do this is giving me a headache, I can't imagine what you must be feeling!! Well whatever you feel most comfortable with I guess. I'm just kinda rambling. sorry bout that :slight_smile: About your friend anyway: If these people are already questioning you maybe you should take a moment like this one and just come out. The more people you come out to the easier it will be to come out to the really important people like your parents. I hope I was at least a little helpful :/ Good Luck!!!

14. BrettV

I doubt it will ever be easy to do it face to face. I went absolutely nuts not telling my parents, so I just wrote an (emotional) email and sent it. That was it. No way I could have told my parents to their face or even over the phone. Like i mentioned before (some post earlier, don't remember where,) my parents appreciated the time to let things settle in their minds. Yours may be different though. You know them best.

I do not envy you but you have my best wishes for painless success.

Also ... question ... "DO NOT WANT" .. is that in reference to that hilarious translation of star wars ep 3?

15. Well best of luck, your letter looks fine on my end. The thing is, coming out is almost never easy, the key thing to remember is, they will probably want to be sitting first, may want to add that in there. I know that when I told my mom today that if she had been standing, I'd have been trying to catch her. Just remember, that while it may feel like the hardest thing evar, it will pass. My mom is a bit shakken up from it all but just know that at the end of the day when all is said and done, you're their son and they love you, nothing will ever change that and they only want your happiness. Now when I say that you might think that it's a bit corney, but it was the best thing she could say at the moment, and it made me feel loads better. Just keep your chin up and have some confidence.

After I came out I was on cloud nine, and looking back on it, I have no regrets. Just be prepared for a ton of questions, something that even after I thought I was ready for still caught me off guard. I'd say find an article on the internet on things to say when someone comes out to you, and things not to. Chances are most questions are gunna come from the later and it's best that you have some answers instead of just kind of speechless and scrambling for words like I was.

16. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Very much understand what you going through with regard to your parent's, although you have come a lot further with other people than myself. I too have a few different letter's written out to give to my parent's. Although it just never seams like the correct thing to do. Would be much better face to face and probably less dramatic. Although as time moves on the urge to move forward and "get on with it" comes. A letter starts to look more appealing, but still hoping like yourself for the old face to face method as it seams more natural. Whatever happens best of luck and you have come a long way so I have no doubt you can do it.

17. titaniumCloset

So I planted the seed with my sister last night. I texted her asking if she thought that my brother thought I was gay. She has a big mouth so hopefully someone just asks me already :frowning2:
    2 people I work with are out and I'm so jealous of them...one of then today they said theywere jealous of my body (she's lesbian/masculine) and I was like I'm much more jealousb of you, if you only knew.... :frowning2:

18. Walolas

That letter is really good. So good it doesnt really need to be edited anymore.

I hope someone does ask you soon since it seems you just won't be able to come out and tell them on your own or leave them the note.

Hopefully they will all accept you and nothing will really change between you all except that you can be yourself more around them.

19. Zulu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That letter is absolutely fantastic. Great job!

That sucks, not being able to say it face to face, or to even give them your wonderfully written letter. This round-about way of having people ask you, though, is only going to prolong the process. The only real way to combat it is to combat it. Though, in the end, it's your coming out and you're going to do it however you feel most comfortable, and I'll have to say that's just fine. :grin:

If you do give them the note, though, I agree with blankpaper -- leave a PS and include a number or something. Good luck!

#39 Zulu, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  20. titaniumCloset

I'm not neccessarily just waiting for someone to ask me, it was more so to just give them an idea of what's coming so when I come out it won't be a huge shock, just more of an "oh that makes sense now"