1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done that surprised you about yourself?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Allistair, Jun 12, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

I had a hissy fit and filed a complaint to a financial advisor at the bank for being a discriminating bitch :slight_smile:

2. Emberstone

funny, I am working towards doing this against wells fargo for attempting to cut me off from my educational fund. They say that I am not meeting their standards, and they don't seem to care about my well docuemented learning disability, which is federally protected no less than by the American's with Disabilities act. If they continue, I am going to contact my local aclu.

But what surprised me, was I got a B in my math class, while being bed ridden with illness for two weeks at the beginning of the term.

3. Connor22

I managed to remind myself what it's like to have good friends, if just for a few hours, honestly I made a friend at a youth club and in the few hours we were there he has been a better friend than I have had in years

4. 4 seat

I've started coming out.

5. paco

paco Guest

:eusa_clap

----------

for the past week i've been looking forward to all the complicated issues i need to be sorting through this summer, selling my car and moving to a new apartment being a couple of the most immediate ones. and i even got started with the "selling my car" one by taking it in for maintenance.

i'm normally a pretty good procrastinator.

#25 paco, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2010
  6. Daniel

I didn't punch my manager in the face. Every day I don't...I amaze myself.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I used to be absolutely terrified of public speaking. I do it all the time now in my work with PFLAG. :slight_smile:

8. clears

Out Status:
    A few people
    let me see.... I entered the student government here at my university, thinking its okay and wouldn't be so stressful. Found out it IS STRESSFUL. ugh, college is way different when you were a kid.

9. James

The past two years I have surprised myself more than words can express, people that know me will understand what I mean (Shebbs?). One being coming out to myself as gay and telling almost everyone I know, including my mom.

10. Beachboi92

oh jeez where to start xD Since coming out to my first person (my mom) at the end of last summer i have basically revived my Highschools GSA before graduating, become involved with Glsen, had my first real relationship with a guy for 5 months, lost my virginity, revived my lacking highschool social life and generally been involved in all the classic highschool shenanigans xD gone to Pride, made out with boys in public at said pride xD, danced with/made out with boys in a fountain sorrounded by people cheering me on at said pride xD become completely out, overcome much of my depression issues and generally pointed my life back on track. Ive gotten exponentially more self esteem, confidence and let go of tons of stupid stuff that bothered me, Ive made real friends id never thought i'd have that i know i will keep, and generally changed everything about my person for the better. I would not even have come close to thiking i would be where i am today if you asked me over a year ago and it actually took this thread to appreciate and understand what i have been able to do for myself, thank you :slight_smile:

11. elitechris

i took the ACT this afternoon and i was freaking out because it was an hour away from home and with kids i didn't know BUT i was surprised i wasn't very nervous and how calm i was when taking the trains home and passing through San Francisco alone :slight_smile:

12. Allistair

Allistair Guest

Oh yea i know what you mean i've had to do that a few times too. Going to a totally different school can be freaky, but i managed.

13. paul 123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    errrm ive strated running most days which i never thought id get round to doing :grin:

also haha this evil psyco-bitch teacher everyone hates was barging past telling us all to get out of her way, and i said quite loud near to her 'you shouldnt be so fat then should you'...

so yeh she didnt respond, but i hope she heard it :grin:

14. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Got bored with my dead end job and applied to university for Nursing. Got accepted and i am in the process of quitting my dead end job and becoming a student nurse coming this September. Surprised i had the gut's to go out and make a fresh start and leave a fairly safe job.

15. SolitaryKnight

Leaving my masters degree in Ontario and moving back to NB to get my life in order.

16. Eric

Well, I managed to come out to my best friend, score my first goal in my summer hockey league against said best friend (it was the game-winner too), didn't spend much money in the last few months, and pass my art class (ugh I hate art class).

I didn't really accomplish much in the last few months and my summer isn't looking too productive either. :/

17. hum... two things:

1- I told a friend of mine that I was bi, and told him who was the girl I loved
    2- I told another friend of mine that I was sick of her whining

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I don't know why I haven't posted about this until now, but towards the end of this semester, I worked up the courage to ask a guy I didn't know all that well (we had conversed a few times before then, but that was it) if he was gay and if he would consider hanging out with me so we could get to know each other better. It took me a long time to work up the courage to do that, but I was immensely proud of myself afterward, and would like to tell that story.

While I thought he was kind of cute from the beginning of the year, I didn't even consider the possibility of him being gay until I heard his voice, which definitely made me suspect he might be gay. However, as much as I wanted to, I didn't entertain the thought of asking him until months later when I saw him walking out of our dorm, and as I was walking behind him, I saw him walking the same way Nathan Lane walks in The Birdcage while doing the "control" walk while trying to learn how to walk in a manly way. There were the only two signs I had, but they were enough for me.

However, I still couldn't work up the courage to ask him until I told my roommate about how I wanted to ask if he was gay, but I was worried about what he would think of me if he wasn't. My roommate then said something that gave me a whole new perspective on the whole thing: "Well, if he isn't gay, do you really care what he thinks of you?" Those words were what gave me the courage to finally ask.

The first time I saw him after resolving to ask him, he was with a friend of his, so I (wisely, I think) decided against asking him then. The next time I saw him, he was walking into the bathroom on our floor while I was walking out. We passed each other so briefly that I didn't think to ask him, and I almost didn't. I thought to myself, "No, it's late at night [turned out to be not so late for him as it was for me], and this is the bathroom; it's no place to ask that kind of thing." But I then told myself that if I didn't ask then, I'd keep making excuses until it was too late, so I decided to wait outside and ask him when he came out.

He was in there for a while, and I twice chickened out and walked back to the door to my room before convincing myself to walk back. I looked busy by reading the announcement board outside of the bathroom, so it didn't look like I was sketchily waiting for someone. As I was waiting, I could literally feel my heart pounding in my chest, beating about as fast as it does when I sprint.

He finally exited the bathroom, and I got his attention, swallowed my nervousness, and asked: "I hope you don't take offense to me asking this if the answer is yes, but... are you straight?" I asked it that way so because I figured it would be a more comfortable question for him to answer, especially because he couldn't hide his orientation by telling a half lie (by that I mean, if I had asked him if he was gay, he could have said no if he was technically bi).

What happened after I asked isn't that important, but he paused for a while and then said hesitantly, "I don't care either way." I then asked him if we could hang out some time to get to know one another better. After he didn't speak for a moment, I added that I asked because I thought he was cute. He raised his eyebrows, thought for a moment (if I remember correctly, he also remarked, "That's... interesting..."), then invited me into his room while asking if I played Smash. While nothing ever happened between us, we did play Super Smash Bros Brawl together a few time, and overall, it could have gone much worse. What's most important, however, is that I was able to work up the courage to go through with it, and that will hopefully make such efforts easier for me in the future.

19. x2x2x2x2y2

I came out to two of my brothers; I am learning how to drive; and I'm learning a lot about god.

20. Ben

Ben

I feel like such a life noob. I never surprise myself. That's probably because I'm always expecting myself to do unusual things, though.