1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating meat is immoral.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zoiek, May 28, 2010.

1. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Actually, our bio-mechanics were designed for a herbivorous lifestyle.

2. Ty

Ty

Milking cows - I had the good fortune of visiting a few farms when I was little - my family owns one in Ireland. I've done a fair bit of research on farming ethics, and in terms of cows, milking is necessary for them when their udders become too full - otherwise it's uncomfortable for the cow. However, i personally eat very little dairy, opting for alternatives because of the farming industries huge manipulation of cows. Although it can be done in an ethical way, the demands of a capitalistic society mean that the cow's interests become secondary to the farmer's interests, which is wrong.

3. Connor22

here's an interesting concept, what if we could genetically and industrially manfacture meat liek not animals just the meat, in large amounts say from a plant, and I don't mean stuff like quorn or dry stuff I mean like actual MEAT stringy muscle exactly the same as muscle and fat only no animals involved

4. Nialla

Nialla Guest

Aye, I spent some time at a farm when I was younger. (Man I hated those early mornings. xD).

So in terms of a mid-ground on this debate...if things can be done 'ethically', then it's alright? From what I can view, you're essentially saying that it will become a 'them or us' situation with regards to lifestyle. Honestly? I do all I can to ensure that I'm considerate to /every/ creature. (I'm the type who picks up spiders and puts them outside instead of killing them). But;

1) I can eat meat
    2) It's tasty
    3) I'm above it in the food chain
    4) It helps local businesses (I buy local wherever possible)
    5) I'm hungry

...ergo, I'm going to eat meat.

Like I said, guilt is a man-made emotion.

5. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I don't know about you, but I love veggie burgers, hot dogs, etc. I like that spicy kick, and very filling too.

6. Ty

Ty

1.) I can buy children.
    2.) It's fun
    3.) I'm bigger than a child
    4.) It helps the local child-traffickers
    5.) I'm perverted.

See? Your system of thought can be used to justify anything really.

If you want to actually take an ethical route, I would reccomend you switch to Quorn. Or just try it. It's actually a really good substitute and now I don't miss meat atall. Reforming one's diet is simple and easy; it really doesn't take that much effort.

7. Connor22

nah m8 it's the amount of vegetables that I don't like that's thee problem and then of course they go and fill veggie burgers etc with exactly the things I don't like. Whoop. I think someone's out to make me fat.

8. Nialla

Nialla Guest

...you actually just equated eating meat with child traffiking? Seriously?

How ethical is it for you to attempt to thrust your ideas at someone who doesn't share your views? I have never even considered trying to get a vegetarian to eat meat. I wouldn't want to. It's their choice and I respect it.

And I have tried Quorn and vegetable substitutes and suchlike. I love them...but I also love meat, and I do my best to eat organic, free-range things. That's my compromise. Most people don't even care about doing something like that.

9. starfish

Important tip. It is a bad idea to insult the people whose minds you are attempting to change.

10. Ty

Ty

How ethical is it of you to curb the existence of another living being to satisfy your caprices?

11. Nialla

Nialla Guest

I can live with it, to be honest. If I couldn't I'd be a vegetarian. Free range animals have a damn better life than a 'wild' animal would, since they're carefully looked after. Then when it's time for them to be processed, they're killed quickly with very little to no suffering.

You've got to look at the broader picture. Owning a car (or doing anything except walking, cycling etc) is 'immoral'. Why? You're polluting the atmosphere. (I'm using it as a quick example).

12. Zoiek

Would you not take issue with someone "processing" another human being, but killing them quickly "with very little" or "no suffering"?

13. Nialla

Nialla Guest

Depends on the reason. Processing for absolutely no reason is unthinkable.

14. Zoiek

Just hunger.

15. Nialla

Nialla Guest

'Just' hunger? Well, it's kind of a human condition that you can't do anything about. 0_o

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Animals do not equal humans, just fyi.... I don't suggest animal cruelty is okay, but animals are not the same as humans their brains are not the same. Humans and animals are TOTALLY, COMPLETELY different. Also, it's the food chain. Other animals eat other animals for food and nourishment, humans were made as omnivores if not mostly carnivores.

Anyway, if the world did everything "right" we would do away with tv, electronics, cars, freeways, everything except minimal shelter, food, water, and one pair of clothes in which we hand wash int he river. Everything you buy has some space they take up which could be potentially "farmed" to grow food for people in poor countries. Just saying - if you're going to go with this argument be prepared to argue that anything you do and enjoy most likely could have been used better and is therefore immoral.

Edit, lols, I see this has already been mentioned ^^^ oh well.

#56 Austin, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  17. Zoiek

Oh no, there's some food that never enjoyed its existence sitting right next to the human about to be processed. They just choose to curb the human's existence and not the non-sentient plant's.

----------

What does "equal" animals, for my information?

Humans with severe Down's Syndrome, perhaps?

18. Nialla

Nialla Guest

It's non-equatable. If a tiger suddenly wants to chew on my face then fair enough. I didn't have a 'high enough brain function' to defend myself.

Nature's Law.

19. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

i am not reading through this thread for one reason : i dont care what your opinions are.

my thoughts on eating meat is this

if one was to kill a human it would be a sin.
    if one kills an animal no one cares that life has been ended too.
    just because we can speak and are " top of the food chain" doesn't mean their souls dont matter too.

meat is murder simple as that. its not like they are even put down in a nice way. animals die a painful death so you can eat something "tasty"

20. Zoiek

So you'd support a man, naturally stronger than a woman, raping her?