1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Newsweek] Gay Actors Can't Play Straight Characters

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Zach1992, May 5, 2010.

1. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    that's what I thought too at the return of Glee. "the lead person for the other team has a major case of gayface"

well we were told that Kurt would get a boyfriend and that together they'd rule the school. maybe the scar from rachel will be what brings them together...

anyways, part of acting straight is acting. I'd like to think that we (or just some) would be perfectly qualified to do the job.

2. Sidd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Did someone ask that writer if he thinks that straight men can't play gay convncingly? 'Cause 90% of the gay leading roles in movies go to nominally straight actors. Oh, but I forgot, in this society of ours we know that only heterosexuals have all the talent, charisma and star power, and if you're gay than you're only qualified to be the set decorator and do hair and makeup.

3. Emberstone

can we not necropost...

4. Just Passing

Well this is interesting. If gay actors can't play straight characters, how does this work for straight actors playing gay characters? It doesn't, because either one can play either way, it's just insulting to think otherwise really. :slight_smile:

5. gaius

gaius Guest

Surely the whole point is that you're relying on the talent of the actor to make us believe the character. I don't want to trash talk the article too much, everyone else has done that for me, and i agree with them. But the article does raise some important questions. Where are the gay actors who have reached the top (i mean the top of their field for anyone with a dirty mind...) We might not know what effect coming out has on an actor until we have seen their whole career, some may be fine, others it may break. To say gay people can't play straight is ridiculous, i managed for years in real life.
    To look at it another way, in what field in the eyes media can gay people come out without it having any effect?
    Football... don't make me laugh (bar Anton Hyensen there are no known professional out footballers)
    Politics...it's getting better but we aren't there yet.
    Comedy even has its share of problems - Theatre & performing arts blog | Stage | guardian.co.uk

It seems to me like the world still has a lot of changing to do.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This article was in 2010 but still stupid, ESPECIALLY since its by a gay man.

7. Idonteven

[​IMG]

enough said?

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mmmmmmmmhm